Mississippi St (5) @ Oregon (7) - 12/18/18 | The Boneyard

Mississippi St (5) @ Oregon (7) - 12/18/18

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Mississippi State wins by 15 in a game that’s pretty close for 3 quarters. Oregon is gassed by the 4th, MSU defense starts turning them over and the runout train begins. Ionescu has a great game (but not by her standards), nobody else for Oregon has a great or even good game. McCowan gets a double double, so does Howard (points/rebs for both). Espinosa-Hunter shoots 5 3’s and Bibby chips in with a few.. the MSU backcourt places substantial pressure on Oregon’s guards and they won’t be able to do much, buckling under pressure.

Different year, same script. I would love to be wrong and finally be able to believe in Oregon but this is what we see from them when they go up against quick and athletic teams. Surprise me, Ducks.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Mississippi State wins by 15 in a game that’s pretty close for 3 quarters. Oregon is gassed by the 4th, MSU defense starts turning them over and the runout train begins. Ionescu has a great game (but not by her standards), nobody else for Oregon has a great or even good game. McCowan gets a double double, so does Howard (points/rebs for both). Espinosa-Hunter shoots 5 3’s and Bibby chips in with a few.. the MSU backcourt places substantial pressure on Oregon’s guards and they won’t be able to do much, buckling under pressure.

Different year, same script. I would love to be wrong and finally be able to believe in Oregon but this is what we see from them when they go up against quick and athletic teams. Surprise me, Ducks.

I am guessing you mean AEH shoots 5 3's and misses them or she plays 5 minutes or something

1545077420782.png

Reaction Score
As that graphic shows, AEH doesn’t get big minutes in the more challenging games, and I’m guessing this will be one of those games.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season this looked like a marquee matchup. But Oregon just hasn’t looked like the team everyone thought they were, while Vic and the Bulldogs just keep on rolling along. The Ducks might keep it close for awhile, but I think MS St eventually pulls away.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
At the beginning of the season this looked like a marquee matchup. But Oregon just hasn’t looked like the team everyone thought they were, while Vic and the Bulldogs just keep on rolling along. The Ducks might keep it close for awhile, but I think MS St eventually pulls away.

I'll change that to "Oregon has looked exactly like the team I thought they've been."

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Hey! Aren't you going off-script here? If you're a SC fan, you have to denigrate MSU at all times....:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
AEH has ways to go, she shows flashes but there are obviously things to get cleaned up. I'm sure she will improve a lot under Vic.

Oregon has a good team but has been a bit underwhelming so far this season. I do think MSU's D will give Oregon a lot of problems, especially if they turn it over.

The chemistry between Howard and McCowan is heating up, its been a fun duo to watch. Howards perimeter game is opening up the inside.

I anticipate a close game all the way into the 4th quarter, then MSU's D will break it open. Could be wrong but based on what I've seen so far this season.

I really like M. Taylor coming off the bench, if she can not turn it over. The girl is pretty stingy defensively, has active hands forcing turnovers. Her offense seems to be coming a long as well.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
AEH has ways to go, she shows flashes but there are obviously things to get cleaned up. I'm sure she will improve a lot under Vic.
This comment sounds very familiar except for the name “Vic” at the end.

Reaction Score
I don't know if I'm being a homer, but I do expect State to pull this one out. I just don't think Oregon is going to be able to overcome McCowan and Howard. Those two and State's defense are what leads me to give the advantage to State.

Reaction Score
I'm expecting a Battle Royale. MSU's defense will be the determining factor of the outcome of this game.

Reaction Score
I expect MSST to win but the 1st qtr is critical. We must not let the home crowd pump this team up because they are dangerous. Win the 1st qtr, win the game!

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I just wish it wasn't on at a million o'clock Eastern time (for those of us who go to work at 7). I don't mind watching it Wednesday, though.

And I agree with the sentiment that MSSt will win; I suspect comfortably, but I'm not at all certain of that.

Reaction Score
AEH is not gonna play much against the better teams unless there is an injury or something. Vic doesn't play young players a lot but these aren't the 2 and 3 star recruits that's he's use to getting who are just happy to have a scholarship. These are 4 and 5 star recruits who wanna play or will transfer. This is what Tennessee, and Baylor, and Texas, and UConn coaches deal with every year and now we will see how Vic handles it. Victory Vivians was a highly rated player yet he started her from day one and let her jack up as many shots as she wanted to her first two years at State. Oh well, it's been good enough to get him to back to back national championship games and lose so I guess he doesn't see a reason to change anything. In both of those national championship games he had his most experienced point guard(Morgan William) sitting on the bench in both 4th quarters. It's almost like he picks the absolutely worst time there is to all of a sudden want to play a younger player at the most important position on the court in the most important quarter there is in the sport of women's basketball. I guess it would be funny if I could forget how much I threw up after both of those games because of what happend in both 4th quarters.

Reaction Score
I’m going with Oregon... I think Miss St will push them to the brink but I like the Ionescu/ Cazorla backcourt over Danberry/Holmes. Another vital matchup will be Sabally vs Bibby. If Satou can get her points and keep Bibby under wraps that will be a huge plus for Oregon. Boley will need to have a god shooting game and be ready to battle Howard on the boards. I think Hebard can score in space against McCowan if they get her the ball but I don’t think she can keep Big T off the boards so she’s in for a fight. Wonder how much minutes Giomi will see? I say Ducks by 3.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I have a sneaky feeling Oregon wins this. It just seems that everyone is high on Miss St. and down on Oregon, which is usually when a result comes along that upsets the groupthink.

I'm not totally sold on Miss St. They've beaten a pretty suspect Texas squad and eked out a close win over Marquette at home. That's about it. I'm not saying they're not a great team, I'm just not convinced yet.

Oregon has the firepower to beat anybody and they have home court here. They've played a few tough games already and learned about their weaknesses. These teams played last year, so they know roughly what to expect. Miss St.'s pressure defense won't surprise them.

I think it's much closer to a toss-up than the lopsided vote totals in the poll would indicate.

Reaction Score
I think we will see a much different Oregon team than the one at Mich St. West coast teams just don't seem to travel well east of the Big Muddy. That's also why I like Tenn over Stanford.

Reaction Score
I'm always going to pick the better defensive team in a match up like this but Miss State is hardly an offensive juggernaut so it could be a close one.................if Oregon ever needed an early season signature victory this is the game........

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I have a sneaky feeling Oregon wins this. It just seems that everyone is high on Miss St. and down on Oregon, which is usually when a result comes along that upsets the groupthink.

I'm not totally sold on Miss St. They've beaten a pretty suspect Texas squad and eked out a close win over Marquette at home. That's about it. I'm not saying they're not a great team, I'm just not convinced yet.

Oregon has the firepower to beat anybody and they have home court here. They've played a few tough games already and learned about their weaknesses. These teams played last year, so they know roughly what to expect. Miss St.'s pressure defense won't surprise them.

I think it's much closer to a toss-up than the lopsided vote totals in the poll would indicate.
Interesting point as I will be rooting for Oregon but given the two games I saw Oregon play, the mallards are all scattered about the yard...there is no "d" fence to keep them together...(see what I did there?) :rolleyes:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I think we will see a much different Oregon team than the one at Mich St. West coast teams just don't seem to travel well east of the Big Muddy. That's also why I like Tenn over Stanford.
Woe (yes, pun intended)! Under no circumstance can a BYer say they like Tenn to win!!!!! You may think the "betting" money is right to put down on Tenn but NEVER, EVER write it down on this forum. Isn't that an automatic "report" of abuse?? Where's @HuskyNan when we need her?

IWearShoes

Mississippi State
Reaction Score
I expect a battle. MSU has put an L on Oregon two years in a row and they finally have us at home.

Wouldn't surprise me to see State come out slow and get down double digits. Sure hope not, but that's been a bit of a tendency and Oregon can be very good offensively.

Really hope refs let them play unless it's out of control. I worry about foul trouble for T.

Honestly don't have a strong lean either way. Looking forward to seeing what the game tells us about both teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom