Missing Paige Buckets | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Missing Paige Buckets

Reaction Score
I hope for this as well. I think the NIL deals makes it financially possible, and her relationship with Azzi makes me think she might want to do it.

After back to back years of getting the top ranked recruit, we had expectations of three years of a spectacular backcourt combo of Paige and Azzi, on a level perhaps with Sue and Diana.

Now if Paige doesn't return for two years, we will only get one solid year from that duo. Last year doesn't count for me. Those two players missed a ton of games and even when they were on the court, one or the other was not 100%. Paige played the first 6 games healthy, but Azzi was still hampered by her foot. Late in the year Azzi was better (not 100%) but Paige was clearly not 100% after coming back from surgery.

We have not yet been able to experience how great that combo could be. Paige proved herself her freshmen year, Azzi was showing her star potential this year before her injury. It would be a shame if one of the most anticipated backcourt combos of all time, who expected to have three great years together only had one where they were both healthy.

This year has provided another potential look for next year's starting lineup. Coming into this season I presumed the 23/24 backcourt starters would be Paige, Azzi and Caroline and was very optimistic about how good that combo could be. Now with Nika blossoming and Caroline slow to return to form, I might be more excited by Nika playing with Azzi and Paige. The current nation's leader in assists pushing the ball up the middle of a break with Azzi and Paige on the wings just doesn't seem fair.

Regardless either way 1-3 could be terrific, if of course we can finally have good luck for a change on the injury front. It would be nice to see Paige and Azzi for two more years, and there could be one other reason to do that. So far NIL deals have mostly been for individual players. To the extent a pair of players becomes well known as a dynamic duo, I could see an advantage in marketing them together on joint deals, potentially increasing the logic of Paige staying the extra year with Azzi.

I was anticipating those two playing for 3 years when they were in HS. It's the main reason I bought the XL package so I understand.
Hopefully in 23/24 it's Bueckers & Fudd with a rotation of Muhl, Shade, Arnold, Bettencourt and Ducharme. I'm confident the the freshmen guards next season will contribute right away.

Reaction Score
Next year will feature Nika, Paige and Azzi at Guard, AE and AP at the Post...probably winning the NC....With the exit of Nika, and AE I wonder if Paige will want to hang out for another year....thinking Azzi will be the key to her staying.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Next year will feature Nika, Paige and Azzi at Guard, AE and AP at the Post...probably winning the NC....With the exit of Nika, and AE I wonder if Paige will want to hang out for another year....thinking Azzi will be the key to her staying.

All of Paige’s class can take an extra Covid year—Liya and Nika.

Reaction Score
All of Paige’s class can take an extra Covid year—Liya and Nika.
Now that would be more than glass half full, that would be glass overflowing! Perhaps we should convince all of them on the merits of getting a head start towards their Master's degree.

Reaction Score
At this point (this season) bringing up Paige is akin to bringing up EDD.
You know that isn't true. An uninjured EDD departed early one morning, and Paige is still here. Oh yes, and Uconn phan's love PAIGE.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Now that would be more than glass half full, that would be glass overflowing! Perhaps we should convince all of them on the merits of getting a head start towards their Master's degree.

Play with Buckets as long as possible. I’m in!

Reaction Score
Geno has an army of the best guards in the country coming in the next few years. Would be estactic if Paige stayed as long as possible at UConn but not worried whenever she leaves. UConn will be Top 3 team the next 2-3 years + no matter what.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Of course the team would and will prophet with Paige back on board but it's not like anybody does not realize the fact. That and she has never and will never win a basketball game by herself
Well, other than one on one games.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Paige was incredible her freshmen year...her getting hurt and missing almost all her sophomore year only to come back and dazzle us once again with her brilliance in the post season...and then to go down again early in her third...has had the effect of causing people to forget just how good she is...'kind of an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of thing. If Paige decided to go pro after next season...in a way, the fans will have been "short-changed" in that they would not have been able to bask in Paige's brilliance for the full four years...I guess having her on the floor for 2 years is better than not having her at all. If we put things into a plus and minus column...you have on the plus side: 1. Her friendship with Azzi may sway her to take the extra year. 2. NIL takes the financial pressure off having to declare pro for financial reasons. On the negative side: 1. Fear of a career-ending injury could enter into the decision to go pro. 2. Wanting to move onto the next level and the allure of getting her professional career started sooner rather than later and to compete at the highest level may over-ride the desire to attempt to win another college national championship.

I rate her chances of going pro after next year 50-50.

Reaction Score
Paige was incredible her freshmen year...her getting hurt and missing almost all her sophomore year only to come back and dazzle us once again with her brilliance in the post season...and then to go down again early in her third...has had the effect of causing people to forget just how good she is...'kind of an "out of sight, out of mind" kind of thing. If Paige decided to go pro after next season...in a way, the fans will have been "short-changed" in that they would not have been able to bask in Paige's brilliance for the full four years...I guess having her on the floor for 2 years is better than not having her at all. If we put things into a plus and minus column...you have on the plus side: 1. Her friendship with Azzi may sway her to take the extra year. 2. NIL takes the financial pressure off having to declare pro for financial reasons. On the negative side: 1. Fear of a career-ending injury could enter into the decision to go pro. 2. Wanting to move onto the next level and the allure of getting her professional career started sooner rather than later and to compete at the highest level may over-ride the desire to attempt to win another college national championship.

I rate her chances of going pro after next year 50-50.
#1 on the Negative side I feel even if she moves on to the W it's a fear of having a career ending. Heck she almost did that playing a pick up game. So here's the thing. I heard swin and Renee joking saying I got my 2 talking about 2 rings. I just feel she will stay an extra year because she feel she didn't do enough and to be in the same class as Azzi. They are so competitive I bet they talked about who would be drafted #1. It's up to her though cus I'm sure we all going to follow her whatever decision she makes.

Reaction Score
Not gonna lie. Definitely miss seeing Paige out there playing and mixing it up out there on the court. But it is going to be sweet having her back next year, hopefully at 100%

Reaction Score
Of course, I miss her! Paige is why I started watching basketball again in the first place. I'd long ago given up on the men's game, and after Stewie graduated, I drifted away from the sport entirely. But then I got wind of some scrawny kid who was lighting it up at a Minnesota high school. I managed to see a few games from her senior year, and then hunted down all the games I could possibly find on YouTube. And it all came rushing back to me -- why I might still want to watch WBB, and especially UConn WBB

Reaction Score
Maybe because of this and Azzi friendship and …love of UCONN .she will stay 2 more years.

Attachments

• 87B54F57-0846-4DCC-93DD-7A49C1A7966A.jpeg
    87B54F57-0846-4DCC-93DD-7A49C1A7966A.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 69
Reaction Score
Paige is irreplaceable…..one of a kind!!!
If she would decide to play 2 more years
in my mind it would make up for not having her this year.
This will help

Attachments

• 37D9E863-686C-4FF7-95CE-BF2C4301DC58.jpeg
    37D9E863-686C-4FF7-95CE-BF2C4301DC58.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 68
Reaction Score
All I want to hear in UConn wins 12th!
You may have to wait until Paige and Azzi are healthy and playing together.......too bad, they will miss Dorka by then but maybe Ice and Jana can contribute things to make up for it.

This team will have to scramble hard to beat the favorite and get lucky at the same time. Not impossible but the odds are long. Despite that, everyone n the Boneyard is wishing for this, THOUGH YOU WON'T HEAR IT TALKED ABOUT UNTIL IT HAPPENS.

Meanwhile, all other threads and conversations will be without the 12th actually happening.....but we can all dream for UConn and speculate.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom