Minny vs Phx | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Minny vs Phx

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Hope she does, but McCarville bodied up BG pretty well, with the help of no calls from the refs.

Plus, BG needs to start giving it back, she lacks that nasty element that when she gets it - there will be no stopping her.

Maye she should punch somebody?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
There were some no calls for both teams last night, and a very bad travel call on Seimone that resulted in a 3 pointer for Phoenix on the very next play.

It was an ugly game but the better team won last night. I have really enjoyed watching the offense of the Mercury this year but give credit to the Lynx for making really good shooting teams look out of sorts.

I suspect that DT will shoot better in the next meeting and that Phoenix will return the favor. She was the only Phoenix player who shot really poorly. And Minny barely shot better than Phoenix, 37.7 to 36.8 for Phoenix. But Minnesota took 9 more shots that Phoenix.

The difference in this game was rebounding. BG has to work harder for rebounding position. For her to have 5 rebounds in 37 minutes of play is embarrassing. It is inexcusable that DT, Bonner and Dupree all had more rebounds than she did. Minnesota had 11 offensive rebounds to 2 for the Mercury.

Reaction Score
I do not buy the early in the shot clock argument. An open look is an open look regardless of where it occurs in the shot clock. The only time people complain about shots early in the shot clock is when they are not going in. Phoenix did not shoot well yesterday. I do not recall too many ill advised shots. There were some missed calls, but the officiating was not as awful as has been written here in a couple of spots. After looking very closely at both the Maya takeaway/throwaway of Taurasi, and at the play that led to DT's technical, there was nothing conclusive either way to say that they were or were not fouls. My position: If you don't see it, don't call it.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I do not buy the early in the shot clock argument. An open look is an open look regardless of where it occurs in the shot clock. The only time people complain about shots early in the shot clock is when they are not going in. Phoenix did not shoot well yesterday. I do not recall too many ill advised shots. There were some missed calls, but the officiating was not as awful as has been written here in a couple of spots. After looking very closely at both the Maya takeaway/throwaway of Taurasi, and at the play that led to DT's technical, there was nothing conclusive either way to say that they were or were not fouls. My position: If you don't see it, don't call it.

Brondello has stated that their goal this year is to work the ball around and make opponents work on defense. Phoenix did not follow that game plan and in most trips down court did not make Minny work on defense at all.

Reaction Score
Brondello has stated that their goal this year is to work the ball around and make opponents work on defense. Phoenix did not follow that game plan and in most trips down court did not make Minny work on defense at all.

I'm sorry, no coach in their right mind asks Diana Taurasi to pass up an open three to make the defense work a little harder. At no point in her illustrious career has she ever been asked to do this, and it is even more likely that she would not do so even if asked. Ms Taurasi is an effective scorer and is also an effective passer because being an effective scorer makes the defense have to react to her which, in turn, creates scoring opportunities for her teammates.

Phoenix just had their 16 game winning streak snapped by a team that had once beaten them 14 straight times; Which is to say a very good team. Phoenix has done far too well this year to be criticized for not following a "perceived" goal of making the defense work.

When time allows, a breakdown of Phoenix's shots the previous two games will be made to determine of Phoenix did, in fact, deviate from the norm. will try to have it here by this time tomorrow.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm sorry, no coach in their right mind asks Diana Taurasi to pass up an open three to make the defense work a little harder. At no point in her illustrious career has she ever been asked to do this, and it is even more likely that she would not do so even if asked. Ms Taurasi is an effective scorer and is also an effective passer because being an effective scorer makes the defense have to react to her which, in turn, creates scoring opportunities for her teammates.

Phoenix just had their 16 game winning streak snapped by a team that had once beaten them 14 straight times; Which is to say a very good team. Phoenix has done far too well this year to be criticized for not following a "perceived" goal of making the defense work.

When time allows, a breakdown of Phoenix's shots the previous two games will be made to determine of Phoenix did, in fact, deviate from the norm. will try to have it here by this time tomorrow.

I am obviously a huge DT fan, but that game was not one of her best. It was not just DT who took quick shots, it was most of the team. However, even with DT shooting 21 shots and only making 4, Phoenix was still with 3 points with 2 minutes left on Minny's court.

A few things Phienix must do to beat Minny:
  • Not have Taylor guard Maya. I would have Bonner take that assignment.
  • Rebound better, and that means BG
  • Work the ball into BG more. When she's not making shots she's drawing fouls. She will also hit the open shooter.
  • Be more patient on offense. Too many shots were contested and long range.
  • Adjust to how the refs are calling the game and quit complaining about calls. DT picked up a technical with 24 seconds left. Not a smart move since the next one will result in a one game suspension.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought DT (or others) needed to make shots in order open up the offense which would allow BG more room. IMO Phoenix lost this offensively. Ball movement I'm sure was a factor but from what I saw- DT just missed at times when she was open/shots she usually makes with much more consistency. DT is regarded as best or 2nd best player in the world. When you play a terrific team like Minny - if your best player shoots 5-20 - you're not going to win very often. Especially playing on the other team's home court. Phoenix can't win every game, can they?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I thought DT (or others) needed to make shots in order open up the offense which would allow BG more room. IMO Phoenix lost this offensively. Ball movement I'm sure was a factor but from what I saw- DT just missed at times when she was open/shots she usually makes with much more consistency. DT is regarded as best or 2nd best player in the world. When you play a terrific team like Minny - if your best player shoots 5-20 - you're not going to win very often. Especially playing on the other team's home court. Phoenix can't win every game, can they?

Phoenix lost this game on the boards. The shooting percentage for both teams was about the same, but Minnesota got 9 more shot attempts.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
easttexastrash said:
Phoenix lost this game on the boards. The shooting percentage for both teams was about the same, but Minnesota got 9 more shot attempts.
Rebounding edge was certainly key. Also, Maya came up big in the 4th when the team needed some big shots. As did Seimone.

It recalls Geno's words right after the 2010 NC game:

"Maya's the best player in the world...when you need points!"

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Brittney is a wonderful player and I completely agree (as stated earlier) that getting her the ball deep is going to do wonders for Phoenix's offense and conversely, not getting her touches makes the team vulnerable to the Minnesotas of the world.

Having said that, I believe that rebounding is the least developed part of her game and the part that could be the most improved (considering her height and athletic prowess). She doesn't seem to naturally gravitate to the spot where the ball is coming down (in the manner of Kiah, for example).

Some of this may be instinct, some a lack of coaching, motivation may be an element as well.
But if she becomes the monster off the boards that her frame suggests is possible, it will pay enormous dividends for Phoenix.

Reaction Score
LynxSparks.jpg

It is going to take longer than originally thought to break down Phoenix's shot attempts/time of the possession for the two games prior to the Minnesota game having just gotten through the first quarter breakdown of the LA Sparks game. What can be done right now, as shown above due to my inability to get the stats to line up correctly on the Boneyard, is compare statistics of the 90-69 win over the Sparks, and the 75-67 loss to the Lynx:

Again, the shot breakdown will come later, but one would be hard pressed to believe that Phoenix played any differently, worked the ball around any less against Minnesota than they normally do. The shots just were not falling Thursday.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
View attachment 6459
It is going to take longer than originally thought to break down Phoenix's shot attempts/time of the possession for the two games prior to the Minnesota game having just gotten through the first quarter breakdown of the LA Sparks game. What can be done right now, as shown above due to my inability to get the stats to line up correctly on the Boneyard, is compare statistics of the 90-69 win over the Sparks, and the 75-67 loss to the Lynx:

Again, the shot breakdown will come later, but one would be hard pressed to believe that Phoenix played any differently, worked the ball around any less against Minnesota than they normally do. The shots just were not falling Thursday.

The shots taken were not open shots. Many were contested and simply were not good shots.

Reaction Score
DT needs to be careful about letting other teams get to her and have technicals called on her. What if it comes down to one or 1/2 game for the best record and she gets her sixth T called on her and has to miss the game? I don't like Phoenix' chances without her in that kind of game.

What that last game came down to is that Phoenix just had a bad shooting game on the road.

Reaction Score
DT needs to be careful about letting other teams get to her and have technicals called on her. What if it comes down to one or 1/2 game for the best record and she gets her sixth T called on her and has to miss the game? I don't like Phoenix' chances without her in that kind of game.

What that last game came down to is that Phoenix just had a bad shooting game on the road.

Ms Taurasi's sixth technical came late in the game against Minnesota. Her seventh will cost her and her team a one game suspension. As mentioned during the broadcast, she has led the league in technicals 5 of the last six years. While touched upon here, it is not with the scathing analysis and criticism heaped upon players from other programs; Ms DeShields comes to mind. Ms Taurasi's penchant for technical fouls is not going to cost her MVP votes, HOF votes, or of exalted status here on the Boneyard. However, it does not bode well overall. If Coach Auriemma is so successful instilling "UConn values" into all of his disciples, protégés and what have you, what happened here? In all fairness, I do not recall her ever getting a technical while wearing Number 3 for the Huskies, so maybe the uncontrollable feistiness came later. At some point, though, as alluded to, she is going to cost her team dearly. Habits cannot be turned on and off like a switch. Bad habits are even harder to break.

Reaction Score
I thought it was six that got you suspended.

I think the Lynx know how to get under her skin and purposely fouled her hard to get her mad. She started getting mad in the first quarter. They might benefit from her suspension.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom