Minny/Atlanta | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Minny/Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kathryn Moore named Maya with the NCAA tourney in mind: Maya April Moore.

If Mom had looked ahead to the WNBA, which did not exist at the time, we could have Maya October Moore. Reggie Jackson has nothing on Maya. :)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Thanks. Did any other team(s) run the table previously? Houston? LA?

IIRC from the telecast, Seattle did it a few yrs ago but I don't believe either the Comets or Sparks did it. Not positive tho

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Maya had two fouls in the first half so I think that was why she was limited a bit - played most of the second half though. And Whalen is a great PG. What a total team effort - really impressive. Hayes had a nice game as well, though couldn't keep up with SA in the final few minutes when MN ran the isolations.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
IIRC from the telecast, Seattle did it a few yrs ago but I don't believe either the Comets or Sparks did it. Not positive tho
The team with Sue, Swin, and Sveta. Could be.

I recall one game against Phoenix when they stunk and were down nearly 20. The only player still hustling was Swin. She helped grab the momentum and eventually the win. I think Sue won about 3 playoff games at the buzzer that year, including that one. It's what she does. :)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Thanks. Did any other team(s) run the table previously? Houston? LA?

In going back to double check, I see that Seattle is the only other team to sweep through the playoffs since the finals became best-of-5. They did it in 2010.

Houston and L.A. both swept the playoffs (one time each) when the finals series was still a best-of-3 and the two initial rounds were in place as well.

Reaction Score
I believe/hope we are going to have some truly great playoff series the next couple of years.
Atlanta has been playing way over their heads the last four years and cannot improve in the draft as a result. Another outstanding player to keep opponents honest would put them over the top. Trade? Free agency? They are too easy to game plan against right now.
Chicago is going to get better. They are my choice in the East; Admittedly, not a very difficult one.
Connecticut needs to regroup around Tina Charles; As with Atlanta, another prime time scorer/playmaker. Backcourt? Frontcourt?
The Lynx may have helped Minnesota shake off the curse of the Hershel Walker trade with the two trades with Connecticut that brought them Lindsay Whalen and the draft choice that would become Maya Moore. Amber Harris, so far, appears to be a bust. If she makes a liar out of me, Minnesota will keep this run going for at least another four years. When you have a core as good as Moore, Augustus, Whalen, and Brunson, all you need is a serviceable post player like Janel McCarville. In the Mystics game VAMike, Milford Husky, and I attended back in June, McCarville was an obvious liability. While others may be impressed with and marvel at Minnestota's playoff run, I truly believe it was more a function of favorable matchups unable to exploit the obvious weakness. As long as Minnesota maintains that core four with Maya Moore, they will compete in the upper echelon.
Los Angeles and Phoenix will both be better the next couple of seasons.
The jury is still out on Seattle.
New York, a tough out two seasons ago needs to get very lucky in the draft. By that I mean there has to be an impact player out there of whom I am presently unaware.
Tulsa is a disaster; Difficult to fathom that this is the franchise formerly known as the Detroit Shock.
Washington, who matches favorably against Minnesota, has me believing that they can be a very good team. However, I would be hard pressed to explain why.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw only a few games, but I thought McCarville improved over the season. Maybe it was just matchups, but I think getting in shape and getting used to her teammates may have been factors too.

I agree that she was a weak spot in the game we saw. Her play, combined with Maya's foul trouble and Latta's good shooting, were major reasons why Minny lost. I'd like to think McCarville became more of an asset over the course of the season. But I'd love to see Stef land there somehow. If Stef has a good season, she could go very, very early in the draft.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
McCarville was a completely different player toward the end of the season! She was not in good game shape at all when they played Washington.

With Sancho Lyttle back healthy, the Dream are a much better team.....

I agree, sadly (b/c I really like her) that they should fill Amber's slot with another player next season. If Jess Adair is completely healthy, and in shape again, I would take a serious look at resigning her. Amber has gone downhill.

Maybe another team can give her a shot and she can find a place in another system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom