Mike DiMauro: Connecticut Post made a decision bad for its business | The Boneyard

Mike DiMauro: Connecticut Post made a decision bad for its business

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The Connecticut Post, a daily serving mostly Fairfield County, decided to yank its UConn coverage last week, laying off beat writers Rich Elliott and Bill Paxton, friends to us all. Not all that surprising, given this entity's track record of institutional hypocrisy.

Turns out, though, UConn officials were not happy with the Post's decision. Here is why: No other newspaper in Connecticut is more important right now to UConn. The university, in addition to playing more games in Bridgeport to showcase its product to the deep-pocketed gold coasters, is also in the midst of expanding its Stamford campus.

Fairfield County has been an untapped resource for some time now. UConn had been making progress. Except now its primary means to trumpet its message to the people who live there decided to go dark on its coverage.

One university source said Monday that UConn officials and Post management have had "professional and productive" conversations about a potential remedy. Will it happen? Hard to say. But UConn's concern fortifies the idea of the Post's significance.

http://www.theday.com/sports-columns/20150113/connecticut-post-made-a-decision-bad-for-its-business

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I highly doubt all hope is lost in Fairfield County because some third rate CT newspaper decided to cut their UConn coverage. In fact, I doubt it even matters one iota.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Still if UConn advertising $ promote coverage, well visibility is a good thing.

Reaction Score
I have lived in Fairfield Cty for awhile, and I can tell you in an internet world, this is a non-event. UConn advertising/marketing/branding has clearly picked up in the area, but I know many UConn alum and none that read or quote the CT Post - especially when it comes to athletics.

Reaction Score
I have no idea how much readership that the Connecticut Post receives these days. Newspapers are cutting reporters left and right, so it's likely not personal.

What I'd propose for UConn (and frankly, any other school in the country) is to set up an internship/co-op through its journalism program to get students to become the school beat writers for local media outlets that aren't able to afford a dedicated professional to cover the teams. That would seem to be a win/win - the journalism students get great experience (which is increasingly more difficult to come by), the media outlets get content for little to no money, and the school's athletic program gets more daily and in-depth coverage.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
WhartonHusky said:
I have lived in Fairfield Cty for awhile, and I can tell you in an internet world, this is a non-event. UConn advertising/marketing/branding has clearly picked up in the area, but I know many UConn alum and none that read or quote the CT Post - especially when it comes to athletics.

Speaking of the Internet world. How long do we have to wait until the Courant fixes that sinkhole that is it's new website.

I haven't encountered anything that slow and infuriating on the ol' www since the 14.4 days. My personal traffic to the site has plummeted.

Did anyone over there even test the thing?

Reaction Score
Speaking of the Internet world. How long do we have to wait until the Courant fixes that sinkhole that is it's new website.

I haven't encountered anything that slow and infuriating on the ol' www since the 14.4 days. My personal traffic to the site has plummeted.

Did anyone over there even test the thing?

Don't even attempt it with Internet Explorer. And for a lot of the articles they want you to be a paid subscriber. I subscribed to the Courant for years until they started throwing the newspaper in the driveway and snow. I called up about it and got nowhere. I'm no longer a subscriber. What other commercial entity treats their product like trash and just throws it anywhere like trash? Yeah, I know I could subscribe online. So far I've avoided it.

Reaction Score
I had to call the Courant to get them stop delivering it to me. It was absurd. I didn't want it and the thing just sat in front of my house day after day piling up because all of the house tenants go in the back. I read everything they have online.

If you want to read any of the Trib stuff that is paid for just Google the Article Title or Link and then go in from the google search. Bypasses the paywall everytime.

Reaction Score
If you want to read any of the Trib stuff that is paid for just Google the Article Title or Link and then go in from the google search. Bypasses the paywall everytime.

Thanks. I'll try that.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt all hope is lost in Fairfield County because some third rate CT newspaper decided to cut their UConn coverage. In fact, I doubt it even matters one iota.
I would gladly give two iotas for a rag that reaches 54,000 daily and 81,000 on Sundays in a market UCONN needs. "Think gold coast"! A handfull of donors from Fairfield County is priceless. Not saying all hope is lost, just all help is needed.

I have no idea how much readership that the Connecticut Post receives these days. Newspapers are cutting reporters left and right, so it's likely not personal.

What I'd propose for UConn (and frankly, any other school in the country) is to set up an internship/co-op through its journalism program to get students to become the school beat writers for local media outlets that aren't able to afford a dedicated professional to cover the teams. That would seem to be a win/win - the journalism students get great experience (which is increasingly more difficult to come by), the media outlets get content for little to no money, and the school's athletic program gets more daily and in-depth coverage.
A helmet sticker to Frank for this one!

Reaction Score
Too lose them (and don't pretend it's a great newspaper, its crap, banned in several Gold Coast towns--or you would think) on the UCONN beat is still a loss of visibility and this is not good. Those 2 writers did a nice job on the UCONN beat for years.

Reaction Score
I would gladly give two iotas for a rag that reaches 54,000 daily and 81,000 on Sundays in a market UCONN needs. "Think gold coast"! A handfull of donors from Fairfield County is priceless. Not saying all hope is lost, just all help is needed.

A helmet sticker to Frank for this one!
And for all those gold coasters, how many $100+ million T. Boone Pickens (Oklahoma State) or Pegula (Penn State) type donations have they dropped on UConn? For an area that is home to some of the wealthiest people in the country, they sure aren't sharing a whole lot with UConn. Maybe all of the super rich people in this state just aren't UConn alumni.

Reaction Score
And for all those gold coasters, how many $100+ million T. Boone Pickens (Oklahoma State) or Pegula (Penn State) type donations have they dropped on UConn? For an area that is home to some of the wealthiest people in the country, they sure aren't sharing a whole lot with UConn. Maybe all of the super rich people in this state just aren't UConn alumni.
Well HF21 Capt'n Obvious must have dusted your nest. Nobody has implied the rich people in this state are UConn alumni. The thread is about loosing free PR and exposure in a very important part of the state. The present administration is doing a much better job than the previous in this area.
Not sure we will come up with $100 million at a time but I like the fact you use Oklahoma St and Penn St here, thinking big.
There is a first time for everything and to reap the harvest you must plant the seed. We have a campus in Stamford and are now playing games in Bridgeport. The loss of coverage from The Post are free seeds not planted. Having said that I once again thank the Burton family with their business based in Stamford / Greenwich and an alumnus of Murray State.

Reaction Score
We have Bob Kaufman of Bob's Stores and Meg Ryan. That's not too shabby.

Reaction Score
The problem UConn is facing is that they need money coming in from alumni and other donors to get out of the dreaded AAC. However, many people with money do not want to donate to a school that they view as not being in a major conference. There are some people that I know that have been very generous donors to UConn for many years, but stopped donating after the latest ACC snub when our beloved AD was in the VI getting outplayed Mr. Jurich. I also know that many of you will all say that it had nothing to do with UConn's snub. Maybe yes and maybe no. But...fact is, if UConn were in the ACC or B1G right now..donations would be flowing. Just being in the B1G has elevated Rutgers, the way the being in the AAC has diminuated UConn. As we have all heard, people love and support and winner. UConn is not a winner right now, and thus the problem image wise and funding wise. Silence out Storrs is not a good think for donors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom