Mercury vs Lynx | The Boneyard

Mercury vs Lynx

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
In other news, Diana Taurasi is playing against Maya Moore on ESPN2 - who the hell do you root for, I ask you? Mercury up big at the half, but the Lynx are making a comeback.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
DT big game... Maya not so much. BG did good in the 3rd. Phx finally got a win after about 4yrs

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
I'm solving all my rooting problems this year by being a Mystics fan. Just cannot possibly root against Bria and Stef for anything, not ever. I know, I'll get over it. But this year...and when Stewie finally starts to play...well her team will be my team.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
DT big game... Maya not so much. BG did good in the 3rd. Phx finally got a win after about 4yrs

BG could do that anytime she sets her mind to it. I've watched all of their games and in several Phoenix has come out determined to feed her the ball and she responds with big numbers. Then, like yesterday, they almost completely go away from her and shoot nothing but 15 foot jumpers and 3's.

Here is the Phoenix shot selection in the 4th quarter; hardly anything around the basket. It is no wonder that they allowed Minny to get back into the game.
  • Brittney Griner misses Regular Jump Shot (doesn't give distance in play-by-play)
  • Diana Taurasi misses 19-foot jumper
  • Erin Phillips makes 18-foot jumper (Candice Dupree assists)
  • Candice Dupree misses 18-foot jumper
  • Diana Taurasi makes 23-foot three pointer
  • Candice Dupree makes 4-foot jumper (Diana Taurasi assists)
  • DeWanna Bonner makes 17-foot jumper (Candice Dupree assists)
  • Candice Dupree misses 16-foot jumper
  • Candice Dupree misses 15-foot jumper
  • Erin Phillips misses 23-foot three point jumper

sTu

Reaction Score
BG has a long way to go to adapt to the WNBA game and showcase her talents. She is making progress though.

Reaction Score
I'm solving all my rooting problems this year by being a Mystics fan. Just cannot possibly root against Bria and Stef for anything, not ever. I know, I'll get over it. But this year...and when Stewie finally starts to play...well her team will be my team.
Yeah, I was torn yesterday when they played the Dream so I rooted for both teams.

Reaction Score
BG could do that anytime she sets her mind to it. I've watched all of their games and in several Phoenix has come out determined to feed her the ball and she responds with big numbers. Then, like yesterday, they almost completely go away from her and shoot nothing but 15 foot jumpers and 3's.

Here is the Phoenix shot selection in the 4th quarter; hardly anything around the basket. It is no wonder that they allowed Minny to get back into the game.
  • Brittney Griner misses Regular Jump Shot (doesn't give distance in play-by-play)
  • Diana Taurasi misses 19-foot jumper
  • Erin Phillips makes 18-foot jumper (Candice Dupree assists)
  • Candice Dupree misses 18-foot jumper
  • Diana Taurasi makes 23-foot three pointer
  • Candice Dupree makes 4-foot jumper (Diana Taurasi assists)
  • DeWanna Bonner makes 17-foot jumper (Candice Dupree assists)
  • Candice Dupree misses 16-foot jumper
  • Candice Dupree misses 15-foot jumper
  • Erin Phillips misses 23-foot three point jumper
Yep, it's crazy that they don't take advantage of her athleticism and throw her some alley-oops. She could get at least three or four extra buckets a game doing that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Still a great game for Phx. I realize Minny is without Brunson, but their lack of size in the post is causing them problems. They've been able to mask it in the past, but it seems like maybe it's catching up with them. Starting 6'1" McCarville as their center, after years of 6'1" Taj as their center, really hasn't hurt them much, but still... Dantas at 6'4" seems like a terrific addition.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
BG has a long way to go to adapt to the WNBA game and showcase her talents. She is making progress though.

She would be averaging 25+ points a game right now if Phoenix were not so happy with the jump shot and fed BG the ball. There is nobody in the WNBA that is going to stop her. She could dominate today and hasn't even scratched the surface of her potential. However, she is playing for a coach and with teammates who are not dedicated to getting her more touches, and she is really just a role player for the Mercury.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yep, it's crazy that they don't take advantage of her athleticism and throw her some alley-oops. She could get at least three or four extra buckets a game doing that.

She absolutely owned Minny in the third quarter and then she only got one shot in the fourt quarter because the guards and forwards wanted to shoot more.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
nah I think she got enough touches... they won. BG has to earn her stripes in the W. I was satisfied with her performance yesterday

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
When the Lynx got the score down to 6-8 points with 2 minutes in the Game, if I'm Reeves, I put Maya and the rest of the starters back into the game. They could have won the game after their bench made the comeback.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
nah I think she got enough touches... they won. BG has to earn her stripes in the W. I was satisfied with her performance yesterday

Well, if Phoenix wants to win a championship the veterans better leave their egos in the locker room. Not getting BG a shot in the last 10 minutes of the game is ignoring a huge advantage that you have over your opponent, especially Minny, who had nobody that can guard BG.

Maybe they need to watch the Spurs play.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
When the Lynx got the score down to 6-8 points with 2 minutes in the Game, if I'm Reeves, I put Maya and the rest of the starters back into the game. They could have won the game after their bench made the comeback.

The starters kind of stunk it up and the bench outperformed them. I think that pulling the players who brought them back within reach would have done damage to the overall attitude of the team. If I went out and outperformed the starters I would be pissed if I got pulled in the last two minutes. Plus, it was a message sent to the starters.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Well, if Phoenix wants to win a championship the veterans better leave their egos in the locker room. Not getting BG a shot in the last 10 minutes of the game is ignoring a huge advantage that you have over your opponent, especially Minny, who had nobody that can guard BG.

the Mercury won

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
the Mercury won

That wasn't a championship. Seems I remember Notre Dame beating UCONN two or three times one season and then getting their butts handed to them in the Final Four.

Reaction Score

The Mercury are on top of the west but I wouldn't be surprised if Griner goes to another team when her contract is up. Hope she comes to the Mystics.

For right now though and from what she said about playing in China I think she's OK with playing for Phoenix.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The Mercury are on top of the west but I wouldn't be surprised if Griner goes to another team when her contract is up. Hope she comes to the Mystics.

For right now though and from what she said about playing in China I think she's OK with playing for Phoenix.

I have been thinking the same thing. I do not see her re-signing with the Mercury as they obviously are not a franchise that wants to build the team around her. I would love to see her in Washington, which is where I truly wanted her to go in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom