Memphis Shocks Cincinnati and the AAC Braces for Realignment | The Boneyard

Memphis Shocks Cincinnati and the AAC Braces for Realignment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.bcsnn.com/aac/777-memphis-shocks-cincinnati-and-the-aac-braces-for-realignment.html

Just another opinion... this from The Best College Sports New Network (???):

>>What this league has to worry about right now is ECU, UC, UCF and USF going to the Big 12 to help create an East Division and get a conference championship game. Details are still very sketchy, but it appears the doors have finally opened to the Big 12 finding regional teams for WVU to assist with travel and also establish a long sought after Florida footprint for the league. Multiple sources have suggested that Mike Aresco is already trying to renegotiate the American's current TV deal for the league in an effort to keep these teams in the conference with more money and a possible Grant of Rights. But Aresco's response is reportedly forcing the hand of the Big 12 even faster.

That is expected to unfold within the next four weeks and isn't something American fans should worry about at the moment. Fans should be more concerned with when their favorite team plays Memphis or ECU, because those programs are on fire right now. Surprisingly, the Tigers and Pirates don't play each other this season, so don't expect the question of who is best to be answered on the gridiron.<<

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes Aresco is going to get a 10 fold increase in the rights to keep teams.

Look for the check in the mail soon.

Reaction Score
If they get out of this dumpster fire b4 us..... I can't even finish that statement, but I will be less than pleased! That is all..

But would you be surprised? I wouldn't.

By the way don't look now, but our football program is the laughingstock of this "dumpster fire".

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I love how people feel obligated to drop an "oh by the way" before telling us that the football program isn't doing well.

It's nice because no one here is aware of how the football team has been doing before these helpful angels show up.

I read the post above, went to ESPN.com to check the standings and by gosh, he's right. It seems we've been losing some of these games we're playing. We need to keep mentioning it because the sunlight cleans everything, you guys.

Reaction Score
We had immediate success in football. Now everyone sees us lose for a few years based on a bad hire and suddenly we need to drop the sport. That negativity continues feeding the notion that those same people created that UConn couldn't win the "big game" with JC. Then JC went on to 4 Final Fours and 3 national titles. At that point, they said UConn will stink when JC retires only to see UConn win a fourth national title with Kevin Ollie in just his second year.

Now they want us to ditch football? That follows the now 25 year old narrative, "please UConn, go away, you are taking my basketball cheese and I really don't want you taking my football cheese. Just stop trying, we'll all be happier that way."

Reaction Score
Should this happen, we could be outside forever. Why take both USF and UCF together? I think you pick one and build the fan base, though it could make for a great rivalry. One of our biggest issues is geography is relation to the b12. This is becoming a perfect storm nightmare for us.

I am not sure what Warde and Susan can do. I would be willing to move home games to MetLife, MSG and Barclays. Can we accept less than a full share and distribute the delta to schools to reduce travel costs?

We need basketball to continue to dominate and win championships. How the hell do we fix football and get back to where we were before Ppgdl.

Reaction Score
I love how people feel obligated to drop an "oh by the way" before telling us that the football program isn't doing well.

It's nice because no one here is aware of how the football team has been doing before these helpful angels show up.

I read the post above, went to ESPN.com to check the standings and by gosh, he's right. It seems we've been losing some of these games we're playing. We need to keep mentioning it because the sunlight cleans everything, you guys.

hey I take no pleasure in it. I'm still buying the season tickets and going to watch us play bad football games whenever I possibly can. I just don't see what good tearing down the conference does, since we're probably going to be here awhile.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
IF this were to happen...

UCF and USF combo would bring two good sized FL markets, important for a potential B12N (or future contract negotiations) and football recruiting. I think that, individually, neither would thrive in the B12. I also think that the B12 has learned its lesson with inviting a school and then leaving them on a travel island like WVU. USF and UCF together would bring an instant rivalry while bringing FL recruiting and market sizes.

Cincinnati seems like a no-brainer travel partner for WVU. Good football, decent market, OH recruiting, and competitive hoops. ECU is a perfect example of what a couple of successful football seasons (and rabid sellout crowds) can do for a school in CR.

IF this were to happen, UCONN is going to be proper f---ed. Right in the p00per, ballz deep. But at least that would be consistent with everything else that has happened to UCONN. This certainly follows Rule #1 of CR: if it kicks UCONN fans in the sack, then do it.

Aside: Mike Aresco is cute, isn't he? A GoR??? Seriously?? I applaud his efforts in trying to re-negotiate a TV deal. Any additional pennies added to the UCONN bankroll would be appreciated. But a GoR? If UCONN ever signed such an agreement, then I'll start building my Arc to prepare for the 40 day flood.

Reaction Score
What this league has to worry about right now is ECU, UC, UCF and USF going to the Big 12 to help create an East Division and get a conference championship game. Details are still very sketchy, but it appears the doors have finally opened to the Big 12 finding regional teams for WVU to assist with travel and also establish a long sought after Florida footprint for the league. Multiple sources have suggested that Mike Aresco is already trying to renegotiate the American's current TV deal for the league in an effort to keep these teams in the conference with more money and a possible Grant of Rights. But Aresco's response is reportedly forcing the hand of the Big 12 even faster.

That is expected to unfold within the next four weeks and isn't something American fans should worry about at the moment.
What the hell is that supposed to mean? Four teams leaving for another conference in the next month but we shouldn't worry about it now?

Kids, Mommy's leaving for Liberia in four weeks but you shouldn't worry about it now.
Hey guys, the plant's closing in four weeks but we shouldn't worry about it now.

Pure genius.

[Not an attack on you, huskymedic.]

Reaction Score
Aside: Mike Aresco is cute, isn't he? A GoR??? Seriously?? I applaud his efforts in trying to re-negotiate a TV deal. Any additional pennies added to the UCONN bankroll would be appreciated. But a GoR? If UCONN ever signed such an agreement, then I'll start building my Arc to prepare for the 40 day flood.
What makes you think a re-negotiated TV deal would add money?

Dooley

Reaction Score
What makes you think a re-negotiated TV deal would add money?

I don't. I'm just going off of what is written here and that Aresco is trying to renegotiate now in an effort to keep his league together longer. I doubt he'd do that if he doesn't strongly feel that the value has gone up. Maybe it has? Between UCF's success last year and UCONN's dual NCs, maybe he feels he can bleed a few more pennies out of ESPiN. But I honestly have no idea. And if the AAC is about to get hit with another defection or four, I doubt ESPiN would offer a dime more than what they currently pay from what they find in their couch cushions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Any chance that the ACC could get concerned about adding yet another XII team on it's western flank and try to grab Cincy themselves? It is well known that Cincy was pushing hard for ACC inclusion the last round. Of course, that does not help UConn either.

Reaction Score
We should definitely sign a gor.

Then immediately challenge it in court, set a strong precedent for a challenging school. Make sure Kansas Virginia UNC or any other team the big is interested in knows they can break a gor and hope we find a partner or backfill somewhere.

Seems more doable than turning football around :(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think if the B12 goes to 14 we are invited. UConn is more of a peer to Texas than any other school mentioned. We get the president's vote. If it is/was all about football, Boise would have been in a long time ago.

Reaction Score
That guy writes stuff just like we do, but with no real insight whatsoever. Aresco is trying to renegotiate a deal to keep those other teams in the conference. Well, nice job Aresco! Keep at it! His job should be to get us more cash than the pennies espn tossed our way. But anyone who suggests a program would turn down a P5 conference because The American increased its take has missed the boat himself.

Last edited:

Dooley

Reaction Score
Any chance that the ACC could get concerned about adding yet another XII team on it's western flank and try to grab Cincy themselves? It is well known that Cincy was pushing hard for ACC inclusion the last round. Of course, that does not help UConn either.

Honestly, I continue to be absolutely shocked that the ACC hasn't scooped up UCONN already. The B1G made a significant step into the northeast by adding RU and MD. There are TONS of B1G alums living on the east coast and playing games in NJ and MD is a big eastward move that will really pay off in the long run. The ACC really should be going into full defense mode of its eastern flank and UCONN would give them that protection. Not to mention, UCONN brings markets for a potential ACCN. If the B1G adds UCONN, then it instantly injects enthusiasm around here to the point where we sell out our building and bring the same kind of east coast juice that the games in RU and MD have brought. In that scenario, the ACC would have virtually no presence north of Virginia. The ACC can add UCONN now, then work on reeling in ND as a full-time member.

Dooley

Reaction Score
That guy writes stuff just like we do, but with no real insight whatsoever. Aresco is trying to renegotiate a deal to keep those other teams in the conference. Well, nice job Aresco! Keep at it! His job should be to get us more cash than the pennies espn tossed our way. But anyone who suggests a program would turn down a P5 conference because The American increased its take has missed the boat himself.

I don't think anyone in their right mind would think that a school would turn down any P5 invite to stay in The American dumpster fire. There is ZERO chance that Aresco's renegotiated deal would approach the annual revenue stream that each B12 or ACC school receives. It's essentially a Hail Mary by Aresco...from his own 1 yard line and down by 70 points.

Reaction Score
Go ahead and putt.jpg
That is expected to unfold within the next four weeks and isn't something American fans should worry about at the moment.

Reaction Score
I think if the B12 goes to 14 we are invited. UConn is more of a peer to Texas than any other school mentioned. We get the president's vote. If it is/was all about football, Boise would have been in a long time ago.
Did you really just say, "If it is/was all about football...?" Boise brings a good football program but that is all. Nothing else. We UCONN fans know, better than anyone else, it is all about football.

Reaction Score
It can't be just about football for some conferences, otherwise Rutgers is still in the AAC.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Did you really just say, "If it is/was all about football...?" Boise brings a good football program but that is all. Nothing else. We UCONN fans know, better than anyone else, it is all about football.
Except when it's about markets, except when it's about academics, except when it's about stupid petty grudges that won't die.

God dammit I'm tired of UConn getting effed in the CR pooper.

Reaction Score
The thing I like about the article is that UConn isn't one of the four schools rumored going to the B12. Surely we'd have to be one of the four most attractive packages available. That must mean the B12 reps already put out feelers and Susan said, "Not interested" (kind of like me when those nice people come around every once in a while asking if I'd like a free subscription to The Watchtower). Not interested means "We're spoken for." We're spoken for means Big Ten here we come. Woo Hoo!

Dooley

Reaction Score
Except when it's about markets, except when it's about academics, except when it's about stupid petty grudges that won't die.

God dammit I'm tired of UConn getting effed in the CR pooper.

This made me laugh and cry at the same time because it is so true. Nobody knows what is driving the CR bus because it seems to change in order to justify adding a particular school over UCONN at each and every turn.

Rutgers - cable boxes
Syracuse - basketball
Pitt - no idea (because BC said no to UCONN)...pretty yellow empty seats??
WVU - football
Louisville - football
Maryland - market
Utah - Sen Hatch said so
TCU - football
Colorado - free pot for west coast hippies
Texas A&M - football
Missouri - northern market for SECN but good at sports too

Tulsa - heated archrival for UCONN
Tulane - UCONN alum is President
ECU - football for 1 year before it bolts for B12 for football and WVU
UCF - football for 2 years before it bolts for B12 for football