Memories of a forgotten but impactful game | The Boneyard

Memories of a forgotten but impactful game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The 1987 WCBB Final Four was held in Austin, and Texas was a strong favorite to repeat as national champions. They had a talent advantage in every game they played, started two All-Americans, and had lost only one game since the beginning of the prior season. I was a student at UT at the time, and attended the national semifinal, which was a sellout. Texas' opponent in that game was Louisiana Tech. This was the most compelling basketball game I have seen in person. It was clear to my eyes that Texas had a favorable matchup at every position except point guard, where La Tech had Teresa Weatherspoon. Texas should have won the game comfortably, except La Tech had an extraordinary shooting performance. It seemed that they made almost every shot they put up in the second half, and finished the game shooting 58% from the floor. It came down to La Tech having a 2 point lead with about 10 seconds left. Texas' point guard ran a play to the right where she had a chance for an open 10 foot jumper; she opted to pass the ball to the player to her right, but the pass was deflected and recovered by a La Tech player who was immediately fouled. She made her free throws and then the clock ran out. The only sound or movement in the building was from the celebrating of the La Tech players. For everyone else, it was hard to believe.

Texas remained competitive, but was never dominant again. Their next Final Four was in 2003 when they were again eliminated in the semifinal. That was an equally dramatic contest that defined, as much as any single game, the legend of Diana Taurasi. It occurred to me only recently, that if I had returned to the Erwin Center for the 1987 national final, I would have watched the Tennessee Lady Vols win their first national championship. I am no historian of the womens' game, but I do not understand why people speak of Pat Summitt as if she is the godmother of WCBB, as if things would be noticeably different today had Pat chosen a career other than coaching. I am not trying to depreciate her success as a coach, which only Geno can match. I am only questioning the claim that she has had an impact that transcends that of all others. Perhaps I am ignorant in this regard, but that game in Austin drew a crowd of 15,000, and that was before Tennessee won their first national championship.

I can only wonder how Texas might have done better in recruiting in the years to follow if they repeated as national champions. Or how a single play executed poorly might change the trajectory of a program for years going forward. This underscores for me how important and pivotal it was for UConn to get Maya Moore in 2007. UConn had missed the Final Four for three years, as well as losing some recruiting battles (the Paris sisters and Candace Parker come to mind). Since Maya's arrival UConn has not missed a Final Four.

I have read some posts suggesting no team can beat UConn in the NCAA tournament. I think it's extremely unlikely, but still possible. If an opponent is able to take care of the basketball, and two players on that team have career-best games shooting, then UConn could lose. Jeff Walz played this strategy perfectly when Louisville upset Baylor in 2013. That's why they have to play the games. That's why it is still so exciting.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Great memories and thanks for sharing them!
I think since the 1980s and the 'modern' era WCBB had been dominated by southern schools and southern California and it had very little national profile. That really changed in 1995 when the Uconn/TN rivalry was born and the game exploded on a national scale and at that point Pat was the established coach with three NCs and Geno was a parvenue. For the next thirteen years those two names dominated the discussions of the game winning 9 of the NCs. Geno was always the young gun and for those fairly new to the game as the vast majority of the expanding fan base was, Pat was the old hand. And that 'legend' of Pat being the 'godmother' was born. In twenty years time I suspect Geno will become the 'godfather' in legend as well. The two are inextricably linked and their combine string of 15 of 21 NCs between 1995 and 2015 is remarkable and it dwarfs the early history of the sport, especially given the expanded profile the sport has achieved during that run. Through 1994 Pat was just another good coach in a string of coaches - after 1994 she and Geno transformed the perception of the game.

You speak of Maya's significance to Uconn who had been in the wilderness for 4 years, but Parker was as important to TN who had been in the wilderness for 8 years when she arrived and has been back there for 8 years since she left.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Great memories and thanks for sharing them!
I think since the 1980s and the 'modern' era WCBB had been dominated by southern schools and southern California and it had very little national profile. That really changed in 1995 when the Uconn/TN rivalry was born and the game exploded on a national scale and at that point Pat was the established coach with three NCs and Geno was a parvenue. For the next thirteen years those two names dominated the discussions of the game winning 9 of the NCs. Geno was always the young gun and for those fairly new to the game as the vast majority of the expanding fan base was, Pat was the old hand. And that 'legend' of Pat being the 'godmother' was born. In twenty years time I suspect Geno will become the 'godfather' in legend as well. The two are inextricably linked and their combine string of 15 of 21 NCs between 1995 and 2015 is remarkable and it dwarfs the early history of the sport, especially given the expanded profile the sport has achieved during that run. Through 1994 Pat was just another good coach in a string of coaches - after 1994 she and Geno transformed the perception of the game.

You speak of Maya's significance to Uconn who had been in the wilderness for 4 years, but Parker was as important to TN who had been in the wilderness for 8 years when she arrived and has been back there for 8 years since she left.
You are so right in all you've said. However, I think Geno is already seen as the "godfather" of WCBB and WBB in general. WBB would not be where it is today without Geno and Pat. In my opinion there would never had been a WNBA without that great UConn/UT rivalry. Whether we WBB fans want to admit it, the sport is at a dangerous crossroads at this moment. The WNBA is dying and seems to be in its death throes. The attendance at WCBB games is declining. If not for USoC skewing the numbers the decline would be more precipitous. WCBB has always been the impetus for the popularity WBB in this country, and it needs a rivalry like UConn/UT to spur this nations imagination once again. I don't know what more to say. To me it's saddening and infuriating.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
JordyG - I don't see it as quite so desperate. A very real part of the decline in attendance at WCBB is the fact that you can see so much of it on TV - ten years ago you could get uconn on CPTV and a few big contest generally in the second half of the season. Most programs didn't have any games broadcast. With more sports networks and conference networks and streaming options there are few programs that don't have at least some of their games now available for watching at home (most high school teams now have some of their games available on line if not on broadcast TV.) So, the serious fans may not attend quite as many games as they used to because they can save a little money and drink a nice wine while they watch games from their comfy chairs - the arena attendance shrinks a little, but the number of folks watching games continues to grow.

As far as the WNBA - who knows. It still survives and should get a little boost from an Olympic year. The current teams (except Dallas) are all well established and supported in their communities and while many of them may still 'operate in the red' that can be misleading when dealing with ownership being tied to arenas, concessions, and general overheads. Arenas need content and having games that cover the cost plus of holding the even help even if they don't fully cover the 1/365th of the total overhead of the venue. Same for the costs of yearly salaries for staff that are shared between multiple entities.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
JordyG - I don't see it as quite so desperate. A very real part of the decline in attendance at WCBB is the fact that you can see so much of it on TV - ten years ago you could get uconn on CPTV and a few big contest generally in the second half of the season. Most programs didn't have any games broadcast. With more sports networks and conference networks and streaming options there are few programs that don't have at least some of their games now available for watching at home (most high school teams now have some of their games available on line if not on broadcast TV.) So, the serious fans may not attend quite as many games as they used to because they can save a little money and drink a nice wine while they watch games from their comfy chairs - the arena attendance shrinks a little, but the number of folks watching games continues to grow.

As far as the WNBA - who knows. It still survives and should get a little boost from an Olympic year. The current teams (except Dallas) are all well established and supported in their communities and while many of them may still 'operate in the red' that can be misleading when dealing with ownership being tied to arenas, concessions, and general overheads. Arenas need content and having games that cover the cost plus of holding the even help even if they don't fully cover the 1/365th of the total overhead of the venue. Same for the costs of yearly salaries for staff that are shared between multiple entities.
Yes you are right. Yet it's butts in seats combined with network money that keeps franchises going. The WNBA gets little in network money. Dwindling headcounts drives teams to relocate or close its doors. When teams start scrounging for content out of and/or during season, it's a bad sign. A few bad out of season years and that franchise is done. It will be nteresting to see in the next few years what happens when the contracts with many of these venues expire and the ripple effect it could have in WCBB.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I have never believed that story about PHS nailing the peach baskets to the side of the double-wide.

Reaction Score
The 1987 WCBB Final Four was held in Austin, and Texas was a strong favorite to repeat as national champions. They had a talent advantage in every game they played, started two All-Americans, and had lost only one game since the beginning of the prior season. I was a student at UT at the time, and attended the national semifinal, which was a sellout. Texas' opponent in that game was Louisiana Tech. This was the most compelling basketball game I have seen in person. It was clear to my eyes that Texas had a favorable matchup at every position except point guard, where La Tech had Teresa Weatherspoon. Texas should have won the game comfortably, except La Tech had an extraordinary shooting performance. It seemed that they made almost every shot they put up in the second half, and finished the game shooting 58% from the floor. It came down to La Tech having a 2 point lead with about 10 seconds left. Texas' point guard ran a play to the right where she had a chance for an open 10 foot jumper; she opted to pass the ball to the player to her right, but the pass was deflected and recovered by a La Tech player who was immediately fouled. She made her free throws and then the clock ran out. The only sound or movement in the building was from the celebrating of the La Tech players. For everyone else, it was hard to believe.

Texas remained competitive, but was never dominant again. Their next Final Four was in 2003 when they were again eliminated in the semifinal. That was an equally dramatic contest that defined, as much as any single game, the legend of Diana Taurasi. It occurred to me only recently, that if I had returned to the Erwin Center for the 1987 national final, I would have watched the Tennessee Lady Vols win their first national championship. I am no historian of the womens' game, but I do not understand why people speak of Pat Summitt as if she is the godmother of WCBB, as if things would be noticeably different today had Pat chosen a career other than coaching. I am not trying to depreciate her success as a coach, which only Geno can match. I am only questioning the claim that she has had an impact that transcends that of all others. Perhaps I am ignorant in this regard, but that game in Austin drew a crowd of 15,000, and that was before Tennessee won their first national championship.

I can only wonder how Texas might have done better in recruiting in the years to follow if they repeated as national champions. Or how a single play executed poorly might change the trajectory of a program for years going forward. This underscores for me how important and pivotal it was for UConn to get Maya Moore in 2007. UConn had missed the Final Four for three years, as well as losing some recruiting battles (the Paris sisters and Candace Parker come to mind). Since Maya's arrival UConn has not missed a Final Four.

I have read some posts suggesting no team can beat UConn in the NCAA tournament. I think it's extremely unlikely, but still possible. If an opponent is able to take care of the basketball, and two players on that team have career-best games shooting, then UConn could lose. Jeff Walz played this strategy perfectly when Louisville upset Baylor in 2013. That's why they have to play the games. That's why it is still so exciting.

Yes, good post..... I remember that 87 tournament..... and a few thoughts..... one is.... to your point.... would the future have been changed had Texas won back to back? They did have a great team that year on the heels of their undefeated season in 86..... I think of teams which won once, but probably should have won a second year.... like Georgetown men in 85, or the Chicago Bears in 86..,,,, but yes that is why they play the game....

And Tennessee ended up winning its first NCAA title..... The whole thing about Pat Summitt..... I certainly give her her due..... as she played an integral part in early days of WCBB, but yes, perhaps she gets too much credit... she was not an expert X's and O's coach IMHO, but she made up for this with her tenacity, will and inner fire..... she did win 8 titles..... and that is remarkable.... though she won them in an era when it was comparatively easier to win them than it is today..... I constantly wonder why it took until 87 for her to win her first..... I would think that she would have won in the early 80s, after she had established Tennessee as a juggernaut in the late 70s.... but take nothing away from her aggregate accomplishments..... looking at what she accomplished makes one appreciate all the more what Geno CD and the coaching staff has accomplished in their time....

By the way, you talk of the UConn UTenn rivalry..... and of course fueled by the coaching contrast of GA vs PHS.... it is long debated and talked about on this forum because of largely how it ended.... but although I am glad we do not play any longer, the one that I always miss about this rivalry is that it elevated the game.... All of a sudden for once or twice a season, women's basketball MATTERED!!!! That does not happen all that often, and it takes several circumstances and a few things to provide a contrast..... as well as some luck.... for it to happen.... and I wonder when America will be riveted to the TV again to the same degree.....

And one more thing relative to the continuance of a program, and its success..... Geno has said that there is always a lull after great success..... we all remember after 95 it was another 5 years to get another title.... and GA said that after the 3 peat with Diana.... he expected top flite recruits to come his way, and it was more difficult than he thought..... (my interpretation)..... after Maya, there was the spell when ND had our number..... again, it goes to show how amazing UConn's program has been... to endure for so long, and be so successful...... and here we are in 2016 and going into the NCAAs .... in true UConn fashion, I am sure we will take nothing for granted..... one never knows.... injuries, foul trouble, illness..... anything can happen..... but I have faith in the short and long term success of our program!!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I am a fellow UT-Austin alumnus. I have heard rumors about this, but the biggest issue is that Sheryl Swoopes somewhat mysteriously transferred from Texas to Texas Tech. That was a gigantic loss.

Reaction Score
I am a fellow UT-Austin alumnus. I have heard rumors about this, but the biggest issue is that Sheryl Swoopes somewhat mysteriously transferred from Texas to Texas Tech. That was a gigantic loss.
Sheryl Swoopes transferred to a junior college, then later to Texas Tech. Perhaps she just wasn't ready for the big school experience at that point in her young life. And of course it was a huge loss for Texas. She was the reason that TT won their only national championship in any sport, so I suppose everything worked out well for her college career. Her 1993 season has to rank among the best any college player has had.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Ugh, I forgot to mention the JC transfer, but in any case, she indeed ended up at Tech. Her 47-point performance against tOSU in the 1993 NC-game is readily available on YouTube.

Of course, 2003 was pivotal. That was a game that Texas could've and arguably should've won, especially when the lead was 50-41 with fewer than 10 minutes left in the game. This game is available in full on YouTube.

After 2003, Texas recruiting did pick up some.. If memory serves, Jody had the #1 recruiting class in 2005, but jody's time had long passed. In the subsequent two seasons, she failed to make the NCAA tourney, leading to her resignation and Texas's ill-fated hire of GG.

The Lone Star State has tremendous talent but is hard to recruit. There's always been rumor of homophobia in the state, and that did not help recruiting for the Horns. I firmly believe Griner turned it around with her courage right after finishing her Baylor career. Homophobia just isn't that cool a form of bigotry anymore. Meanwhile, Aston has had success recruiting Texas kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom