Reaction Score
the damn injuries have hindered what he could be IMO

caw

Reaction Score
With their med stead that's fantastic news

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
UConn players have excelled out west while in college. Hopefully Mel can channel some of it.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Considering he's coming off an injury, Phoenix is probably the best place for him.

That said, it crushes me that he won't be in Washington anymore, because that team was primed for a break-out. Would have been nice to see Mek as part of a legit playoff team.

Silver lining: He's on an expiring contract, and is the exact kind of veteran who gets bought-out in February, then inks a minimum deal with a playoff contender. Mek and Ray in Miami!

Reaction Score
Yes, but he has limited NBA skills. He's an effort guy and got a max deal mainly due to that. Better to be an overachiever in life than an under. He's a great example.

the damn injuries have hindered what he could be IMO

Reaction Score
<The move immediately gives Washington more of a scoring center to go with its prized starting backcourt of John Wall and Bradley Beal, as well as a healthy starting center after losing Okafor indefinitely to a herniated disk in his neck>

More of a scoring option? Wow, a whole whopping 1.4 more points per game! 9.7 (Emeka) compared to 11.1 (Marcin). Gortat's defense is not a good, and rebounding is comparable. While Emeka's neck is a concern, Marcin doesn't make the Wizards any better...

Reaction Score
on another note in college Kendall Marshall was damn near a Marcus Williams clone, and now his NBA career is playin out the same, Wizards waived him after acquiring him in the Emeka deal.

Reaction Score
Oak's neck is in bad shape. Perhaps Washington figured they were just moving oft damaged goods at this point.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Hopefully NY can pick him up for cheap next summer.

Reaction Score
Yes, but he has limited NBA skills. He's an effort guy and got a max deal mainly due to that. Better to be an overachiever in life than an under. He's a great example.

You're selling him short, IMO. He's more than serviceable as a starting center and was a big part of the Wizards turn-around last season. Maybe he fell shy of expectations, but anybody who appreciates defense and rebounding understands his value.

Reaction Score
No reason Mek can't be the fourth best player on a championship team:

Bill Simmons@BillSimmons
4h
Last note: Okafor now becomes a super-intriguing February buyout guy if healthy. Exactly the kind of vet big man the Clips are praying for.

Reaction Score
Now I have a reason to go to a Suns game.
I was disaported when Caron just passed through.
Emeka's numbers after Wahl returned were actually very good.
A great point guard changes everything .
I'm not sure Phoenix is a fit for him.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
More of a scoring option? Wow, a whole whopping 1.4 more points per game! 9.7 (Emeka) compared to 11.1 (Marcin). Gortat's defense is not a good, and rebounding is comparable. While Emeka's neck is a concern, Marcin doesn't make the Wizards any better...

Gortat is excellent at finishing the pick-and-roll, one of the better 5s in the league. With Nene working the high post, two shooters (Beal and Webster) on the wings and the ball in Wall's hands, Gortat makes a buttload of sense.

You're right that Gortat struggles defending in the post, but he's an excellent help defender and rim protector. Given Nene's loss of agility, I'd probably have him defend "big" 5s and Gortat defend 4s/protect the rim.

If you don't factor in the injury, it's probably an even trade. When you do factor it in, the Wizards had to pull the trigger on this one.

Reaction Score

He averages a double-double, that isn't a "limited skills" guy.

Reaction Score
is it me, or did the suns give up too much for mek?

They made the trade for the first round pick. None of the other pieces they gave up are part of the future. Plus there is a chance to flip him for more assets if they can get him healthy.

Reaction Score
<The move immediately gives Washington more of a scoring center to go with its prized starting backcourt of John Wall and Bradley Beal, as well as a healthy starting center after losing Okafor indefinitely to a herniated disk in his neck>

If you assume they are equal players, this trade still makes sense for both teams. If okafor misses a month, then gortat is more valuable just by the number of games played. This also directly benefits the suns as they can give Len more playing time and it probably costs them a few wins which will help "improve" their draft pick.

Reaction Score
Now I have a reason to go to a Suns game.
I was disaported when Caron just passed through.
Emeka's numbers after Wahl returned were actually very good.
A great point guard changes everything .
I'm not sure Phoenix is a fit for him.

All UConn love considered, I'm not sure Emeka Okafor would draw me to a Suns game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom