Megan Walker: Monacan's National Treasure | The Boneyard

Megan Walker: Monacan's National Treasure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
"It's crazy to think that she's just a sophomore," a local college coach told me about Walker. "Her skillset is so polished already, and she already has that killer instinct."

Walker is a mismatch because of her unique combination of size, skillset and basketball IQ.

Despite being labeled the best basketball player in the nation for her class, Monacan coach Larry Starr says that Walker is always open to receive coaching.

"She's a pleasure to coach because she's a good kid and very down to earth," Starr said. "She's very coachable. It's scary to think how good she can become."

http://www.villagenewsonline.com/node/16917

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I LOVE this kid. IMHO has the potential to be every bit as good as Maya Moore, and maybe even better (if that's even possible). The sky truly is the limit for this kid.

Reaction Score
I LOVE this kid. IMHO has the potential to be every bit as good as Maya Moore, and maybe even better (if that's even possible). The sky truly is the limit for this kid.

Is there no video out on her yet?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There is a little bit but it's not really very helpful. It shows her at a skills camp (Foundation basketball), dribbling with both hands, the ball very low to the court, in total control, going in and out of cones etc. She has pink shoes and a think pink headband in this video. Not a lot but it's all I could find...

Youtube video

I tried embedding it as a media video, but the BY would not accept the link...

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

I posted AAU highlight vids of her during the Fall but that site now requires free registration to watch. If you want to do that I can leave the link. Otherwise, it's slim pickings. There are a few of her interspersed with other USA tryouts members. I have to find the vids first though.

Reaction Score
There is a little bit but it's not really very helpful. It shows her at a skills camp (Foundation basketball), dribbling with both hands, the ball very low to the court, in total control, going in and out of cones etc. She has pink shoes and a think pink headband in this video. Not a lot but it's all I could find...

Youtube video

I tried embedding it as a media video, but the BY would not accept the link...

Appreciated that a lot....And i must say these high school players today have all sorts of gadgets & skill sets to help assist in improving their game. Can't wait to see a video of her displaying her talents against other opponents. Just a sophomore huh.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She's slightly taller than Maya and leaner. Her shot may be better at a comparable age. Her handle may be better as well. I don't know that she has Maya's strength or elevation though. But generally, she does sound like Maya. I like that she is coachable and wants to improve. Maybe she'll think playing for a 2-time Olympic coach is a good idea. I do. :)

Reaction Score
Stupid question. Has Coach Auriemma officially extended her an offer? Clearly it's a matter of "when" not "if" she will get one. Just curious if it's already transpired.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Has Coach Auriemma officially extended her an offer?

It hasn't been reported but I'd be stunned if she hadn't. UConn has been watching her for more than a year and she came to First Night. There was never a report that Dangerfield had been offered either before she gave her verbal, and I'm betting this is a similar circumstance.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Another Walker article with new info:

Walker is hoping to have the top five schools she is interested in attending picked out before the end of her junior year.

“I just want to take an opportunity to visit every school and see what program best fits me,” she said.

And what kind of program is that?

Walker wants to major in either kinesiology or criminology. She would also like to be part of a high-motor and fast-paced team on which she can play defense. Plus, she likes to watch football. So a big-time football school would be preferable.

http://www.richmond.com/sports/article_798073ec-da41-5b54-9cda-16dcd5c68135.html

Reaction Score
Is she serious about the school has to have a good football team?? Megan worry about your career and future and the numerous NCs you can chase. All the elite teams in college football come on every Saturday on TV

Last edited by a moderator:

JS

Reaction Score
Is she serious about the school has to have a good football team??
So she wants to watch football. Great. (Different attitude from Ann Strother, who said of her recruiting trips as the top-ranked player: "They kept taking me to football games. I'm a basketball player.")

Don't know if Ms. Walker is thinking about a school with (a) a good football team, or (b) one that plays against good teams (and maybe gets whumped all the time).

I know it's just a preference, and not a requirement, but let's look for a match.

Here are the current AP top-25 rankings in women's basketball with top-25 rankings (if any) of the same schools in football. So who does she want to play for?

Women's BB / Football

1 / South Carolina / --
2 / Connecticut / --
3 / Baylor / 7
4 / Louisville / 24
5 / Tennessee / --
6 / Notre Dame/ --
7 / Maryland /--
8 / Texas / --
9 / Oregon St / --
10 / Texas A&M /--
11 / Stanford /--
12 / North Carolina / --
13 / Arizona St /--
14 / Kentucky /--
15 / Duke /--
16 / Nebraska /--
17 / Florida St / 5
18 / Mississippi St / 11
19 / Princeton /--
20 / Iowa / --
21 / Minnesota / --
22 / Georgia /9
23 / Syracuse / --
24 / Western Kentucky / --
25 / Rutgers / --

Not a lot of pickin's if you want top 25 now. Top 25 in a couple of years may be different. Or maybe she'd settle for top 50 football with top 25 basketball.

Or maybe this whole exercise is ridiculous and she should go with the team that's best for her and go to the school's football games with her friends and have fun rooting for the home team.

If her friends are good enough basketball players, though, they may have to sign autographs before the football game.

UConn-Football-2014-Spring-Football-015.jpg

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Niele Ivey tweeted that she is in Virginia on a recruiting trip and is excited for "tonight's game". Given that the best VA 2016s are committed and that Monacan plays tonight, it seems a safe bet that she's recruiting Walker.

No surprise but looks like ND and UConn will be butting heads again on Walker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom