Meg Culmo and The Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Meg Culmo and The Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Her place in UConn WBB history is cemented. But tonight listen to her words. How many times does she just describe what you just saw ie That was a bad shot or that was bad pass" And how many times does she actually add something to it? ie When players are overplaying the passing lanes, you can't try to force a pass. Or that play is designed to force a back door cut that never came. Or UConn is overplaying the lane trying to get a shot from so and so who is a weaker shooter. Or the 3-2 zone is intended to stop the outside shot while the 2-3 is primarily intended to stop play down low. Or Uconn will mostly play a zone when Butler is in the line up for these reasons...

That's what I want from the color person, not play by play.

I agree with you!!! You don't need an analyst to tell you what you just saw. You want insight about the game as it is being played. There are other lousy analysts but that doesn't excuse Cuomo's mediocre work.

Reaction Score
I agree with you!!! You don't need an analyst to tell you what you just saw. You want insight about the game as it is being played. There are other lousy analysts but that doesn't excuse Cuomo's mediocre work.

Actually, that is the role of an analyst, simply because the vast majority of viewers can't see what is going on. If one is criticizing an analyst because he or she is not providing deep coverage for professional and amateur coaches, that is sadly way off base. It might also be helpful if, when criticizing her lack of thoroughness, that you spell her name correctly.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Actually, that is the role of an analyst, simply because the vast majority of viewers can't see what is going on. If one is criticizing an analyst because he or she is not providing deep coverage for professional and amateur coaches, that is sadly way off base..

First, please do not equate my criticism of her on air-work with an ad hominem attack.

Second, the different levels of knowledge of those watching the games is a good point. I would suggest though that bringing the analysis down to the lowest level of viewer ie "that was a bad shot" is not helpful to anyone.

Reaction Score
I think that Meg does a better job than any other play-by-play color commentator that covers UConn. She knows the coach and his philosophy, she knows the players past and present and she knows the game. Biases, if that's what they are, and an occasional "heh heh" are easily overlooked.

I like Meg a lot as I said in the beginning. It's not a big deal, my point of the thread was to bring out the philosophy/style of the game. I don't agree entirely with what Meg wants to see. For example when Sue Bird were to speak of style, I'm sure I'd agree with that more than Meg's (as stated I have a wing/guard bias). For example, I can't seem to remember me disagreeing with Kara Lawson on style (maybe I have but forgot) but I have disagreed with Rebecca. So often when Meg says "that shot was too quick"- I'm replying "No. No it wasn't." Just wanted to get an idea if others agree or disagree. I didn't want to get into Meg's "calling of the game" which I like a lot anyways.

Reaction Score
I guess Culmo does an OK job for the casual and less knowledgeable fans but if you really know the game, you don't really need to listen to her. She doesn't really add anything to the game for you. Kara Lawson is the only analyst I keep the sound on for. Lawson is being wasted sitting in a studio. I wish she was doing most of the men's games as well.

Reaction Score
I guess Culmo does an OK job for the casual and less knowledgeable fans but if you really know the game, you don't really need to listen to her. She doesn't really add anything to the game for you. Kara Lawson is the only analyst I keep the sound on for. Lawson is being wasted sitting in a studio. I wish she was doing most of the men's games as well.

I see the arrogance shining right through. Can I say as a reply that only the arrogant and delusional fan only believes that one analyst can do the job? Thanks for hijacking the thread.

Man--- you talk about a thread that has been hijacked this is certainly one. Might as well have mods block this now.

For those of you that ignored the thread and hijacked it with your personal thought of Meg and calling us that like her "less knowledgeable" - thank you.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
1-- If you have the Cinci game at end of 1st half - 2:25 left- MoJeff came down the court without passing and took a three and nailed it. I didn't hear anything about "making the extra pass. Only praise for MoJeff. My issue at times with Meg is that she will criticize a three like that when it misses. But when it goes in-- nothing. I think one time this year she criticized a three that went in.

2-- Meg often criticizes one or two passes then a quick 3. As you suggest she prefers the team make "the extra pass." But right after the play above, the very next play, MoJeff comes down the court, comes off a pick from Stewie, passes it to Stewie at the 3pt line and Stewie hits the 3. That was ONE pass and a shot. Meg said "How can you leave Stewie that wide open?" So she was okay with Stewie taking the shot. Why? This is one pass and a shot. Where is the "extra pass" in this instance? If being wide open is the parameter, then why criticize others when they are wide open as much as she does after one pass and a shot?

3-- IMO if MoJeff missed her shot and or Stewie did, she would have beat the drum about making "the extra pass." UCONN wants to push pace. On a fastbreak when is it okay to fire up a 3 on a fastbreak or delayed fastbreak? How many passes should there be? For example, MoJeff is flying upcourt, she passes to Nurse or KLS at the three point line, they are open, is it okay for either to shoot the 3? If you say yes it is okay, then what does "make the extra pass" mean in this scenario? It is one pass and shoot. If it is such a bad shot to take the 3, then why doesn't Geno immediately pull the player after "not making the extra pass?"
Like Wally I am confused by what we are critiquing. Reference your number 2 above the MO /Stewie Pick and Roll is a set play (called by Geno) specifically designed for Stewie to take a shot. That side of the floor is usually cleared out. It would not make sense to pass the ball away from your best two players. A shot taken by KLS is also not the same as the same as a shot taken by Stewie (or anybody else) regardless of how many passes proceeded.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
OK, who does a "perfect" job as a game commentator for women's college basketball? Who analyzes and assesses team strategy and particular plays during live play (without, of course, intruding themselves too far into the action)? Who does a complete and timely reporting on play and events (fouls-- which, who, why) and substitutions (who, why). Could any of us do it?-- self-nominations encouraged.

What are the most common and irritating lapses: being slanted toward teams or conferences, nattering and chattering about off-court matters, reiterating-- ad nauseum-- widely repeated clichés about players, omitting on-court plays and events, etc. Should we be grateful to those who manages to avoid excesses in any of those areas of sin?

Spot on! Good PBP is difficult in one way; good color commentary is difficult in quite another way. Doing either one is actually a humbling experience. You'll learn very quickly just how talented you aren't.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Like Wally I am confused by what we are critiquing. Reference your number 2 above the MO /Stewie Pick and Roll is a set play (called by Geno) specifically designed for Stewie to take a shot. That side of the floor is usually cleared out. It would not make sense to pass the ball away from your best two players. A shot taken by KLS is also not the same as the same as a shot taken by Stewie (or anybody else) regardless of how many passes proceeded.

Good comments....maybe that is what I am looking for from Meg - that kind of analysis. But I can see where some viewers might want something less technical. Its tough to provide commentary for all levels. But I still say "that was a bad pass" doesn't really help anyone.

Adesmar123

Reaction Score
Spot on! Good PBP is difficult in one way; good color commentary is difficult in quite another way. Doing either one is actually a humbling experience. You'll learn very quickly just how talented you aren't.

Agreed. I have done soccer and basketball local cable tv analysis and found myself being repetitive and boring. So I started a thread criticizing myself.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Unless I am mistaken, UConn's offense is a variant on the Tex Winters "triangle" that the Chicago Bulls ran with MJ (and after MJ). Unless you are on the break, or unless you ARE MJ, a shot is "quick" if the entire offense isn't set. In this instance, and especially from the arc, you are rather unlikely to get the rebound.

The so-called "extra" pass isn't really extra at all. It just means that the ball movement was so good that eventually someone gave up a good shot opportunity so that a team mate could get a better one. This is something UConn does with a flourish. Meghan knows this, and I'd suppose that informs her comments.

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Agreed. I have done soccer and basketball local cable tv analysis and found myself being repetitive and boring. So I started a thread criticizing myself.

Same here. Broadcast radio and cable TV productions. Soccer, basketball, softball (favorite), and volleyball. Forty years worth. But I never felt that I had arrived at a place where I couldn't learn something new and do my craft better. Like I said, it teaches one both professionalism and humility at the same time. I never mastered it, but boy did I love the pursuit!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I've always enjoyed Megan Culmo's commentary, and lament the loss of her fascinating discussions with the coach on CPTV's Geno Auriemma Show. I enjoy her enthusiasm and enjoyment of the game. She isn't one of these commentators who feel compelled to spew out useless factoids on every player who has just made a basket. And I enjoy her ability to point out fine play by other teams' players, and her admiration for opposing players and teams that fight hard, even when falling behind. She's a down-home type of unaffected commentator who, IMO, adds immensely to the game.

Is she biased towards centers? Perhaps. But I'll let that slip a bit, and just keep in mind that, as a former center, she's, well, biased towards post play.

I did not come to bury Caesar, but to praise him. Ahem.......I guess I'm been listening to Megan so long, I've gotten use to her. I like her. I've been playing, coaching and watching basketball long enough to know what I'm looking at. I don't need an analyst to tell me. I also like Doris Burke. She knows the game. Doris and Megan can call a game for me anytime.

What I don't like is the play-by-play, and color analysts that work UConn games on Fox and CBS (like tonight).
They're outsiders. To me, they don't have any investment in the team. They're just working an assignment. We've all seen more UConn games than they have. I'm really not interested in someone's opinion of UConn that's only seen them once or twice this year. Give me Megan and Eric..........please!! :p

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Unless I am mistaken, UConn's offense is a variant on the Tex Winters "triangle" that the Chicago Bulls ran with MJ (and after MJ). Unless you are on the break, or unless you ARE MJ, a shot is "quick" if the entire offense isn't set. In this instance, and especially from the arc, you are rather unlikely to get the rebound.
UCONN runs a motion offense which is not a variation of the Triangle. Motion and Triangle have two major overlapping principles which are ball movement and floor spacing. But as the name motion implies there is significantly more player movement. In Motion offense player movement players is dictated by how the defense plays where as in the triangle the player movement is the same every time making the triangle easier to defend.
You are also incorrect in this statement “a shot is "quick" if the entire offense isn't set.” The objective of the transition offensive (yes the offense is actually called transition) is to take the best available shot before the defense has a chance to recover setup and match up. In Transition a post player “rim runs” -sprint from the defense basket to front of offensive basket and 2 wing players fan out to corners, the other post players trails the play and the PG aggressively looks for the first available good shot. At no time you do not wait for the “entire” offense to be set because that would negate your advantage.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I did not come to bury Caesar, but to praise him. Ahem..I guess I'm been listening to Megan so long, I've gotten use to her. I like her. I've been playing, coaching and watching basketball long enough to know what I'm looking at. I don't need an analyst to tell me. I also like Doris Burke. She knows the game. Doris and Megan can call a game for me anytime.

What I don't like is the play-by-play, and color analysts that work UConn games on Fox and CBS (like tonight).
They're outsiders. To me, they don't have any investment in the team. They're just working an assignment. We've all seen more UConn games than they have. I'm really not interested in someone's opinion of UConn that's only seen them once or twice this year. Give me Megan and Eric.....please!! :p
I also like Meg & Doris and for those that do not I have always advocated the mute button. But I have to disagree with you about this "outsider not invested in the team thing from two different angles. If your assignment is to do color for the game and with that assignment comes a pay check and you are dependent on that paycheck to feed your family aren't you the most invested of all? If you are speaking of an emotional investment in the well being or welfare on "my" team then I still disagree and no thanks. I get the most out of the commentary when they point out something I did not think off (even if I disagree). How is a person as emotional invested in my team as me going to enhance my experience? Laphonso Ellis called the UCONN vs Rutgers NCAA game last year and for a ND guy I though he did a very nice job of preparation-he actually addressed the Rutgers players and go to know them a little bit which came off well in the broadcast.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
UCONN runs a motion offense which is not a variation of the Triangle. Motion and Triangle have two major overlapping principles which are ball movement and floor spacing. But as the name motion implies there is significantly more player movement. In Motion offense player movement players is dictated by how the defense plays where as in the triangle the player movement is the same every time making the triangle easier to defend.
You are also incorrect in this statement “a shot is "quick" if the entire offense isn't set.” The objective of the transition offensive (yes the offense is actually called transition) is to take the best available shot before the defense has a chance to recover setup and match up. In Transition a post player “rim runs” -sprint from the defense basket to front of offensive basket and 2 wing players fan out to corners, the other post players trails the play and the PG aggressively looks for the first available good shot. At no time you do not wait for the “entire” offense to be set because that would negate your advantage.

Yeah. But other than that I had it right.

Reaction Score
I really enjoy listening to Meg. She is obviously has great first hand knowledge about the history of our program and is a " UConn Homer ", like Phil Rizzuto used to be on Yankee telecasts.

As far as quick shots, when you have great inside players like Stewie and Tuck, why would you want to jack up a quick three before first moving the ball around and giving them a chance to establish position for a better shot.

Reaction Score
I really enjoy listening to Meg. She is obviously has great first hand knowledge about the history of our program and is a " UConn Homer ", like Phil Rizzuto used to be on Yankee telecasts.

As far as quick shots, when you have great inside players like Stewie and Tuck, why would you want to jack up a quick three before first moving the ball around and giving them a chance to establish position for a better shot.

Maybe because you're wide open, you're pretty good at making wide-open threes, and because inside baskets are only worth 2 points.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Without Meg, we may not have gotten Rebecca to commit (she was her host during her visit), and without Rebecca we probably don't have a single NC, let alone 10. And if you ever saw her play, you'd appreciate her even more.
What does that have to do with the fact that many people feel she is not good at her job? Is your logic that she deserves her job because she helped snag Lobo and that Meg was also a good player in her own right? If that's the case, let's make her the new Athletic Director.

Reaction Score

I don't agree that play was called Geno first off. As a pg in my feeble days of playing I was allowed to call pick-and-rolls and I was a bum. MoJeff can't especially vs an overmatched opponent?

Secondly Geno has said that he wants to push pace. Pushing pace means more than just giving the ball to the three seniors or only shoot if you are within 5 feet. If taking quick shots weren't allowed other thna for the 3 seniors, then when we see someone like KLS take as many 3s's as she has during fastbreaks or lots of time left on shot clock, how come Geno doesn't pull her right away after taking the ill-advised 3 point shot? Because overall it isn't an ill-advised shot.

Third- wouldn't it be better over the course of the game to have five (or more) players that can score vs just two or three? Can't some of the shooters be outside shooters? If they are, why make it so difficult for them ot not be able to take a quick shot on occasion when they are wide open on a break and only able to take in halfcourt sets which is generally harder to get open? KLS is a three point shooter. Does anyone think it is bad to take away a wide open three on a fastbreak from her unless maybe she has missed 2 or 3 in a row?

Four - for you coco- IMO Meg does NOT differentiate between the seniors and KLS. I just can't recall/ didn't put it down here before. But if I were to give a future example(s) of her criticizing the seniors taking a quick 3, would you then agree she has a bias and she is wrong? I don't (the seniors don't . . .) have much time for her to say this though. :)

For anyone thinking taking a quick 3 point shot is bad please look at the last game. Within the 8th second of the game KLS takes a quick 3 and drills it. Still lots of time on the shot clock. --- At the 5:01 mark Stewie pulls down rebound. KSL takes and drills a three at 4:54. Still lots of time on the shot clock. --- At 1:42 mark Stewie pulls down rebound. KSL takes and drills a three at 1:31. Still lots of time on the shot clock. These are quick 3's. Are these bad shots for a heralded shooter like KLS?

For anyone thinking KLS taking quick 3's is bad- IMO you want FIVE players on the court able to score preferably from anywhere. KLS was brought in in part because she was known/heralded as a 3 point shooter. We're winning all of our games by double digits and many by 30 or more. Why wouldn't you want to encourage her to keep taking 3's not only in halfcourt but also during fastbreaks? Isn't it best to only have her shoot during fastbreaks and not just in grind out halfcourt sets? How much is a heralded 3 pt shooter going to improve if she is only taking one or 2 3's a game? Maybe she will. But if she is taking 4 or 5. And starts to get accustomed to knocking them down at a high % like she was recruited to do, isn't that a good thing? The three point shot is a potential weapon. Don't be scared to embrace it to some degree. Why does it only have to be only used in halfcourt sets and not on fastbreaks?

Reaction Score
The so-called "extra" pass isn't really extra at all. It just means that the ball movement was so good that eventually someone gave up a good shot opportunity so that a team mate could get a better one. This is something UConn does with a flourish. Meghan knows this, and I'd suppose that informs her comments.

Within the 8th second of the game KLS takes a quick 3 and drills it. Still lots of time on the shot clock. --- At the 5:01 mark Stewie pulls down rebound. KSL takes and drills a three at 4:54. Still lots of time on the shot clock.

I doubt these three's were taken before "an extra pass" was made (i.e. someone gave up a good shot opportunity so that a team mate could get a better one.) . IMO these were quick strikes. So were they bad shots? Or only considered "good shots" because they went in?

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
No one who was close to the team the years Meg played, and certainly not the coaches, would ever say a bad word about Meg. She may still be the fiercest competitor to ever wear a UConn uniform. (Ask Geno!) Is she the best WCBB color commentator or analyst ever? No. But she is way far from being the worst. And if some think that she is to the Huskies what Phil Rizzuto was to the Yankees... what's wrong with that?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

A little mistaken. UCONN runs a motion offense from the Frank Iba tree. Usually a 4-1 or 3-2 version. Bobby Knight ran this at Indiana too. Both Knight and Geno have of course made modifications to it to make it their own. Geno and Knight ran a clinic on the motion offense a few years ago. I think you can get it on DVD.

Or this from Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak