Media Bashing of MD Begins | The Boneyard

Media Bashing of MD Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The headline in the paper was, MD Off To A Rocky Start:

Maryland football training camp: Ian Evans leaves school, several players fail

By Gene Wang, Published: August 7The Washington Post
The Maryland football team went through its second practice of training camp on Tuesday continuing to seek clarity at a handful of positions and without several players who failed to complete their conditioning tests and another who departed from school, second-year Coach Randy Edsall said.
Sophomore defensive end Ian Evans informed Edsall before practice of his decision to leave College Park for personal reasons. As a redshirt freshman last season, Evans appeared in the final four games as a reserve, including logging a season-high three tackles against Virginia on Nov. 5.
15?

Evans had pulled his adductor muscle in March, forcing him to miss most of spring practice.
“I just wished him well and that he gets all those things resolved and taken care of,” Edsall said.
Among other notable absences from the approximately 21/2-hour workout in helmets, jerseys and shorts were junior defensive end Justin Anderson and redshirt freshman wide receiver Levern Jacobs. Neither was able to run the full set of 24 sprints from sideline to sideline and thus they were not allowed to participate.
Anderson is listed as one of three possible starters on the depth chart at defensive end opposite preseason all-American Joe Vellano. Also in the mix for that job are sophomores Andre Monroe (St. John’s High) and Keith Bowers.
Jacobs (Suitland) is listed as the No. 2 wide receiver on the inside behind senior Kerry Boykins.
“There were some guys who didn’t pass it, but they finished it. They didn’t finish it,” Edsall said. “Guess what? They won’t practice until I feel they’re capable of being able to finish a practice. You can’t finish the conditioning test, there’s no sense to have you on the field practicing.”
When pressed about how soon Anderson and Jacobs would be allowed to practice, Edsall said, “Depends how I feel.”
While Anderson missed practice, Monroe and Bowers each were dealing with dehydration because of the humid conditions. Monroe (6 feet, 265 pounds), for instance, rode off the practice field in a cart with his right leg elevated.
Bowers (6-1, 260) did get in some work with the first-team defensive line, hitting the blocking sled next to starting senior nose tackle A.J. Francis. Bowers missed most of spring practice with heart palpitations that surfaced before spring break, although he did not reveal the issue to Edsall until after he had been experiencing the irregularity for several weeks.
Bowers was one of eight true freshmen to play last season and became the first to start on the defensive line since 2005. He started the final 11 games and finished tied for fourth on the team in tackles for loss (six) and sacks (21/2). The Terrapins are converting to a 3-4 defensive alignment this season.
“Keith’s thing is he works hard every day, so he probably sold out on all the agility drills in the beginning, maybe didn’t get enough water or something,” Vellano said. “But nah, Keith will be good. He’s definitely a guy that will help us out down the road.”

Reaction Score
Edsall better know what the hell he is doing. Because from the outside looking in, every day it looks like he took a program in pretty good shape and made it a storm. I think there is a really good chance he's out after this season. Why he was in such a yank to get out of Conn. to go to a program like this is beyond my comprehension.

Reaction Score
Didn't realize they were switching defensive alignments. Hopefully we can take advantage of some of the natural confusion since it will still be early in the season. I wonder if this is a permanent switch or whether its based on the current personnel?

Reaction Score
Edsall better know what the hell he is doing. Because from the outside looking in, every day it looks like he took a program in pretty good shape and made it a storm. I think there is a really good chance he's out after this season. Why he was in such a yank to get out of Conn. to go to a program like this is beyond my comprehension.
I agree with you as to things aren't going well for him. Look, I am a supporter of our coach but I like the training regimen and discipline he is g these guys and shame on them for not keeping in shape. Either he can show teach them about conditioning or the university of ct is going to show them

Reaction Score
where is this bashing Edsall exactly? never mind. most of the article was about injured players, but i guess to some people that's Edsall's fault

Reaction Score
My favor part.

When pressed about how soon Anderson and Jacobs would be allowed to practice, Edsall said, “Depends how I feel.”

Same old Randy.

Reaction Score
My favor part.

Same old Randy.

I saw that too. The newly hired Maryland PR staff will need to talk with Edsall about that one. There wasn't any Edsall bashing in this article, but Edsall stepped in it with that line which i'm sure has Maryland fans rolling their eyes.

Reaction Score
A Maryland football post. Happy happy joy joy.

There are 4 Threads regarding Maryland PINNED to the top of this site. FHCRE cast a long shadow on this program and will continue to do so. I suggest you get your head out of your ass or simply stop reading when you see the thread title is about MD.

Feel free to continue your speculation on 4th string OLs nobody has ever heard of...will he redshirt? Oooooh....

Reaction Score
I saw that too. The newly hired Maryland PR staff will need to talk with Edsall about that one. There wasn't any Edsall bashing in this article, but Edsall stepped in it with that line which i'm sure has Maryland fans rolling their eyes.

No actually. There are threads pinned to the top of the board about UConn's road game at Maryland. Reading is fundamental.

One needs to be very hypocritical to think that it's o.k. for some to attack me whenever I respond to an Edsall post for being two focused on our prior head coach, but then expect me not to be annoyed when the conversation is started yet again. You are free to discuss Edsall or whatever else you want. As am I.

Reaction Score
Hypocrite = someone who hates a thread but still feels like he has to post in it. If you truly think the thread is pointless, why don't you have the strength to just ignore it? Why do you have to make fun of the people who do care about the topic? Trollish for sure; get the attention you seek in a better way.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
BL and an Edsall thread is a gift that keeps on giving. It never gets old.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My favor part.
Same old Randy.

Exactly. And any Ball Four fans out there know the proper reply to a question about "feel".

Reaction Score
NOTE TO SELF: Follow all threads where BL and Rondogg comment. You guys have me LMAO. I know there may be differences of opinion, but Boneyarders bashing other Boneyarders. What's the board coming too. C'mon Carl...chime in. :)

Reaction Score
Maryland players just need better "eye discipline", need more "want to" and they just need to execute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom