MD Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

MD Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The team played hard, and no one else got injured, and they had a chance against a top 20 team in an away game while being decimated. I don't think the zone helped, although I understand why it was employed. UConn just doesn't use a zone often enough to be proficient with using it. The turnovers were somewhat not a surprise, but they killed us. Maryland was shooting well and that certainly hurt too. I wish we could seal off the baseline better- hope Geno practices that more- too many times someone else had to cover for defense which left someone else open. Still, I'm proud of how close they came today. Now, a week off to finish healing for those still out (longer for Azzi though).

Reaction Score
Yes, and talking about how short handed the Terps were
I suppose Brenda had to be EXCITED, for the TV in the end of game interview, that her Team FINALLY beat UCONN... and she was so sure someone was going to say how decimated UCONN was that he had to say "Both teams were shorthanded with the injuries".... HOWEVER, if I were her, with essentially ALL her starters playing against only 2 or 3 of UCONN's normal starters... to only win by such a small margin, she should be embarrassed. UCONN players on the bench would normally account for 60 to 70 points... not counting Lou, Aaliyah or Aubrey's average contributions.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I feel better about our March/April chances after this game. No moral victories here but just that
this team...when healthy...will be more dangerous when 'lose and go home' is on the schedule.

One whole week till Florida State: Nika/Dorka get back for that one...Azzi to follow...we will be just fine...period.
Lots of obvious guts...go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Frese talking about "under-manned" her team was. I just can't with her.
Over the years, we've seen and heard a lot of Brenda's famous impassioned speeches. Against Uconn, she was 0-7 for them, but lucked out today. As noted, she equated her injured players with the Huskies' all star bench, a strange coincidence, somehow not quite the same.

Reaction Score
In 17 mins, Ayanna had 10 pts on 5-7 shooting and 4 rebounds and kept the fouls under control.

In 13 mins, Amari had 4 rebounds, 3 assists, 0 turnovers and 2 MONSTER BLOCKS.

I am very pleased by both of their play today!

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
a BRIDGE TOO FAR......... great team effort! GO UCONN.
Brenda is now on the TV telling the interviewer about how well her team played against
the BIGGER UCONN players. OUCH. You escaped BRENDA. !!
I especially liked the halftime trio, praising Maryland and giggling all over themselves. Never one mention that by the way, Uconn has 3 starters on the bench and only 7 total players available. The bias against Uconn goes on. But, I thought the girls played a very hard fought battle to the end, they scored with Maryland the second half 42-42.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
MD post game celebration, I thought they had just won the National Championship!
Beggars can't be choosers. If Brenda's Terps didn't beat UConn today, with 4 starters out, they would never, ever beat UConn.

So let them celebrate, and hope to hell they don't run into the Huskies in March.....:cool:

Reaction Score
UConn played well for what they had to work with. The girls did their best. Can’t ask for more than that. It’s on to Big East play. UConn will not lose in conference play.

Reaction Score
You have to keep the neck out of the way of those elbows. Geno will work on that and she'll get it, with experience.

Disgusting calls, overall.
Why can't the refs stay out of the way??? Seems like every possession is a call of some type, many away from the ball. Hard game to watch.

Reaction Score
Kudos to the 7 that played their hearts and butts off. Still can’t believe Dorka still can’t play. One year in high school I played football with a broken finger and two taped together. The following year I played with a broken thumb after three weeks with a splint. She’s been out close to six weeks already.

Reaction Score
Frese should be fired, if not for some terrible decisions we would have won that game. Caroline played well at times and played terrible at other times. Poor poor decision making. We had Lou open a couple of times but she forced it and took a terrible shot or turned it over. She fought hard though. Lou makes weird decisions also and her decision making isn’t the greatest either. Refs were terrible also. Anytime anyone falls, they call a foul. Overall I loved our fight, just a few better decisions and we win which I thought we had no chance. Frese kept making it a point to say how both teams were down players, knowing damn well it isnt the same.

Reaction Score
With Uconn's history, it is not often that you can be proud of a team in defeat, but this is one of those times. Yes at times we got rattled some, but there were many good things too, the effort was there for the whole game despite extreme minutes for several players.

As Old Dude makes the "Magnificent Seven" reference, I remember in that movie character was tested in so many ways, as it was in this game, and from that standpoint we met every challenge IMO.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I missed the 3rd quarter and the first half of the 4th due to having to feed the farm animals but from what I saw, I may have to break my "rule" and watch @MJL243 's replay tomorrow.
As far as what I did see live, I was overwhelmed!!! What a great TEAM we have. PERIOD. Listening to Beth Mowins and Rebecca sing praises of Friese and the turtles and just ignoring the Huskies on court situation was just for ratings I guess and had keep talking about the #20 team in the country, the one that lost to Nebraska. But bottom line, who cares what our ranking will be...we know that we are THE HUSKIES!!!!!
Watch out!!!!

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Maryland game:
  • I was thinking of an old movie that I love: THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN!!!!!
  • With a badly depleted lineup, this was going to be a nearly impossible task for the Huskies today against the 20th ranked Terps. Without Paige, Ice, Dorka, Azzi & Nika, UConn had no justifiable right hanging with MD.
  • But somehow, incredibly, this UConn team did hang around for the entire game despite too many turnovers, Lou getting into foul trouble and MD heating up from the arc.
  • UConn outplayed MD in the paint, dominating the boards 46-23 and getting much of their scoring inside. The killer A’s; Aaliyah, Aubrey and Ayanna all showed up today and they kept the Huskies in the game.
  • Ines looked great in the first qtr, making several nice plays and showing remarkable poise. In the 2nd qtr, the going got a little rougher as she committed some turnovers. I would like to see Ines shoot the ball when the defense backs off. I think that confidence will come in time.
  • After a shaky start, Caroline picked up her play and made an impact. She needs to cut down on turnovers. But otherwise we're starting to see glimpses of the player that carried this team for much of last season.
  • I am incredibly proud of how hard UConn competed today! I know it’s so very difficult when so many Huskies are out with injuries. Be patient everyone. The time will come when the walking wounded will be back and no one will look forward to playing this UConn team.
WIN WIN WIN----FOR UCONN, FOR GENO, FOR ME
Ines was one gutzy young lady today, rushed and pressed and triple teamed for1/2 the game ONLY 3 turnover --FRESHMAN from AZORES--WOW, think what this means to having a backup PG??
DeBerry---great game, big deal going forward.
Ayanna---great game, played like the pro she'll become UNDER pressure.

Huge win for Geno--forget the score, watch what the team had done without real subs--hostile place--hostile place--so hostile I had to repeat it.
Some very odd calls, but that seems natural these days.

I could not be more proud of the invisible bench--which became very visable and very good. Geno, this may go in the L column but this is great success in coaching and LEARNING. This experience is worth months of practice.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
First, RIP to the one of the great moms in BB, Marsiella Auriemma. This was just another game in a long season, but her loss will be felt forever. I'm gonna miss seeing that lovely face as she spoke about Geno, her family, and the team. No matter the score, no matter the outcome, I'm certain, although it never showed in the game, that it weighs even heavier on Geno's mind and the mind of his family.

As for the game? If there is such a thing as a good loss (no, there isn't), this was one. Yeah, Carolina's mechanics in every aspect are way off, but she tried on every play, and every minute to overcome or compensate for her physical limitations. Ines had a trial by fire and honestly had more difficult moments than good ones. But she never hung her head, she grit her teeth, plowed on, eased UConn's in bound problems and dealt with the press fairly well. Ayanna still doesn't have a double move inside, and has yet to show any hint of a drop step. But Ayanna played hard, had a (so far) career high 10 points and actually hit two mid range shots. Yeah, Lou as a veteran, should have been more judicious with her defensive play and avoided those fouls. But she played hurt as well and gave all she had, with a stellar 16 points on a measly 7 shots! AE played like a champ, because she is one. Period. Amari still doesn't know how to use her body at either end of the floor, and although she talks a lot in huddles, she still occasionally looks lost on defense. But she finally got some rebounds and was a defensive presence with her rim protection and two blocks.

No, what really encourages me is this teams willingness to fight no matter the score. To fight to recognize each others tendencies on the floor and put aside the fact that they're mostly strangers. This all bodes well down the road when those three AA's on the bench return to the lineup. I think I enjoyed watching them this game more than many of those 30 point blow outs I've seen. When I watch this game again I'm going to watch which of Geno's plays were effective, which weren't, which players had success with those actions, and how long it took to work or fail to with those actions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom