McCallie steps in it; no "lessons learned;" UConn mention [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

McCallie steps in it; no "lessons learned;" UConn mention [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Jealousy, envy, frustration - they have raised their ugly head again.

JPM needs a serious dose of reality.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
To your last sentence - I doubt very much she will (look hard in the mirror). She was basically exonerated by the University and probably as a result, not only feels she did nothing, but apparently feels emboldened to go on the attack.
You're probably right, my friend. I didn't read the report, but I think the Boneyard is more objective on JPM than she is on herself. She REALLY, REALLY needs to make some changes. For the better, that is. The University and her players deserve it. So do the fans.

Reaction Score
This is champagne and caviar for Duke haters! :D JPM could audition for the lead in the Broadway version of Dumb & Dumber and win both parts! The administration that decided to retain her services has to be head butting each other after this one. :confused: :mad:
She has single handedly proven what many have known for years that not all things Duke exude intelligence. ;) She states Geno took on a transfer because he wants to win, what a earth shattering revelation! Duke has a medical school, she should take advantage and get a check up from the neck up. How she can possibly recruit at the level expected in the future is beyond comprehension.

Reaction Score
She better be ready to coach her ass off this year, or I truly believe she's gone. A lot of eyes will be watching. She will regret the day she verbally attacked Uconn.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Williams and Stokes are both proving to be better pros than college players. Funny how that works out sometimes. .

Now... I love me some Kiah and am THRILLED we have her on the Lib. BUT - Just keeping you honest:
Kiah - Stats her senior year at UConn:http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/stats/2014-2015/teamcume.html

Kiah - 2 years in the WNBA

WNBA CAREER STATS
PPG RPG APG BPG MPG SPG
6.5 7.0 0.8 1.9 26.0 0.7

UCONN Sr Year
4.5 6.8 3.7 18.3

So, in 8 more minutes, she's averaging two more points..

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
McCallie successfully made it through the school's investigation so she now thinks she can pop off her conspiracy theories and her not so hidden barbs at Geno, Dawn and Azure. Her arrogance and cockiness were on full display... Just seems like a whole lot of sour grapes to me. To be realistic Azure Stevens is probably one the best ever division one talent to transfer...what coach in his right mind wouldn't take a look. Really, EDD, Diamond and Azure (not necessarily in that order)...it don't get much better than that. So, Geno out of some misguided principle decides not to entertain taking Azure...so she ends up somewhere else playing against UConn. What coach worth his salt doest that?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Duke coach can just go pound sand.

Seriously...after K prodded the ACC to take more out of the Big East to knock that conference off, we're supposed to entertain that gnat's thoughts about Geno taking transfers?

shinobimono

The Sound of One Hand Clapping
Reaction Score
Azurá says 'I want a guaranteed national championship.'

Geno knows as well as anyone that championships are not guaranteed, but who can blame Azurá for saying that, she's ambitious and wants to win. She probably wonders why Duke can't win any championships despite often getting higher-ranked recruiting classes than UConn. Obviously, she is frustrated and realizes a NC will never happen for her at Duke. Azurá, we welcome you to UConn with open arms! You came to the right place, let's do it!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So is her new recruiting pitch: Well, you can go to some other schools and win basketball games and championships, or you can come to Duke and get a Duke education and play basketball. In fact not only do we play basketball games, but sometimes we even make it to post season tournaments!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I wouldn't believe a word out of JPM's mouth or trust her as far as I could throw her. I don't believe for a second Stevens made that exact comment. What she probably said was "I want to go to a place that actually has a prayers chance in hell at winning a championship". And she could have gone to ANY school in a BCS conference and that would have been a true statement. After all, JPM hasn't even gotten Duke to a Final Four for crying out loud. And I'm sure that's her recruiting pitch, "Come play for us. Get a top-notch education and play in Final Fours." We all know how well that's working out. Go back under whatever rock in Michigan or Maine you crawled out of Joanne. Leave the elite level WCBB to the grown-ups.

Last edited by a moderator:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Irrational garbage from coach JPM! Lexie called you and the first words out of your mouth is "I don't take transfers"-BS! She would have been better off keeping Geno's and UCONN's name out of her mouth. It's on and popping right now! Your not going to slam two people from Philly (Dawn & Geno) and get away with it. South Carolina play Duke this year?

Nope, not this season. Some of our key OOC games are you guys, Louisville, UCLA and Ohio State.

JS

Reaction Score
I don't believe for a second Stevens made that exact comment. What she probably said was "I want to go to a place that actually has a prayers chance in hell at winning a championship".
Count me skeptical, as well, of the "I just want a guaranteed championship" characterization of what Stevens told McCallie.

This "quote," to no one's surprise, is self-serving on McCallie's part.

-- It reflects badly, by implication, on Stevens. Coupled with the education remark, makes her sound naive, facile, passive, glory-seeking, maybe a touch lazy.

-- It absolves McCallie of implicit fault for losing anyone so misguided.

But consider McCallie's own observation that Stevens came back from international play with a changed attitude. And consider this actual Stevens quote:

"
At this time, I feel it would be best for my basketball career to go in a different direction.”

She's not saying that playing on the USA team woke her up to the sudden necessity of winning a national championship, much less a guaranteed one.

She's saying she wants better coaching that will elevate her game for the remainder of her college career and for the next level. I think there's a more explicit statement about that somewhere.

And maybe, just maybe, she prefers a better atmosphere. Sailors in the grip of Captain McCallie can't be blamed for jumping ship -- or getting a tad rebellious.

Poster%20-%20Caine%20Mutiny,%20The_09.jpg

Reaction Score
JPM-
<<On Azurá Stevens
... We were really proud of her. ... came back ...a different player and a different person ... I knew all season that she was struggling. .... Very devastating.... extremely distressing for her....It was really sad.>>

So... if I am correct in reading this...
YOU as a coach & mentor...
HAD TAKEN a responsibility for one of the most gifted WBB players in collegiate ranks...
recognized a powerful personal change in her... observed a season long, extremely distressing, struggle within her...
and DID NOTHING to take her aside... counsel, advise, and grow her....
Your response was to feel sad (for yourself?)...

Is there such a thing as Coaching Malpractice?

Amen to that! And now that is sad within itself. How dare you.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
But consider McCallie's own observation that Stevens came back from international play with a changed attitude. And consider this actual Stevens quote:

"
At this time, I feel it would be best for my basketball career to go in a different direction.”

She's not saying that playing on the USA team woke her up to the sudden necessity of winning a national championship, much less a guaranteed one.

She's saying she wants better coaching that will elevate her game for the remainder of her college career and for the next level. I think there's a more explicit statement about that somewhere.

And maybe, just maybe, she prefers a better atmosphere. Sailors in the grip of Captain McCallie can't be blamed for jumping ship -- or getting a tad rebellious.
Azurá was pretty honest about her reasons for transferring. Dawn must have shown Azurá what a good coach is like and decided she wanted better coaching on a consistent basis. From this article:

Stevens, who grew up in Raleigh, N.C., called [2015-2016 at Duke] a "difficult" season.

"It's all about my player development," Stevens said. "Just getting the most out of the four years that I had and didn't see that happening at Duke, personally for myself. It might be a great program for other students and players, but it wasn't what I was looking for.
"

The Courant also said: Like Camara, Stevens was lured by the stability and tradition of UConn. Both players left programs that were rocked by transfers.

She seems to be a circumspect young woman, though, because Azurá didn't mention a third reason - McCallie is a whackadoo.

Reaction Score
With Notre Dame,Louisville andSyracuse in the ACC.I dont see Duke winning another conference championship with her as the Head Coach.Forget the FF while JM (lol) is there.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
LOL, what a great comment from the Duke Basketball Report:

You know, of all the people to get into a media scrap with, Auriemma is one to avoid. First, he's good at it. Second, he enjoys it. And third, no matter who you are, he's better than you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom