Maya v. EDD on ESPN2 now | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Maya v. EDD on ESPN2 now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
That's kind of my point. She missed a lot of shots but most teams don't make her earn her points from the field, instead they send her to the line and give her a lot of free points. Minnesota did not do that and she only had 16. If someone only shoots 41% (33rd in the league) from the field don't continue to send her to the line, where she is shooting 94%.

If teams weren't so physical with her....she would be shooting a higher % from the field. Also, she has said that some shots are uncomfortable for her right now due to the muscle that she added.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If teams weren't so physical with her....she would be shooting a higher % from the field. Also, she has said that some shots are uncomfortable for her right now due to the muscle that she added.

I am just commenting on the fact that Minny was able to defend her without sending her to the line repeatedly. But I do get frustrated with the WNBA as a whole, as it seems that there are few good defenders.

I have always wondered about players adding muscle and how it affects their shooting. It is interesting to hear her say that the added muscle has affected her on her shot.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I am just commenting on the fact that Minny was able to defend her without sending her to the line repeatedly. But I do get frustrated with the WNBA as a whole, as it seems that there are few good defenders.

I have always wondered about players adding muscle and how it affects their shooting. It is interesting to hear her say that the added muscle has affected her on her shot.

I think/hope it's just a case of her having to get comfortable with it...and then she should be find....I mean her shot look the same but most of her misses are either long or short.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I don't know where the quote was but she said that she had to adjust because she was jumping higher. I don't think it has affected her form. It's just calibrating her hand-eye coordination to account for the extra strength.

I agree that how well Minnesota did on her is a credit to them. Most teams just don't have the defenders to deal with her. She hadn't played anyone like Maya yet this season. Players like Alyssa Thomas (too inexperienced, EDD quickly put her in foul trouble) and Swin Cash (lost a few mph off her fastball, so to speak) don't really have a chance on her.

Reaction Score
If she can jump higher I wonder if we'll see any power dunks from her this year?

Reaction Score
Wonder why no comments on the fact that Maya scored only 14. Who was guarding her?

Reaction Score
I don't think it was necessarily who was guarding her. This was Minnesota's third game in 4 days and Maya carried the team the previous two games. I think fatigue played a partial role, as well as an injury above her eye during a game two days earlier in which she collided with Seimone.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Chicago with EDD is where I'd like to see Stewie go, it would be good for the league, and ESPN could push it for all its worth. The NBA in its early years when they struggled, made necessary adjustments to prosper.

I would prefer to see them as opponents so we get to see them match up against each other. THAT would be fun to watch.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Wonder why no comments on the fact that Maya scored only 14. Who was guarding her?

I know Tamera Young started out on her. She ought to be good on defense given how little of a scoring threat she is. I'm not sure who else spent time on her.

It just didn't seem remarkable to me that she didn't score that much. No one is going to score 30+ every game. It seemed that she just missed some decent looks. But she had the good sense not to force it and to let Augustus and Whalen carry the load.

Reaction Score
I think Young is OK on offense. She doesn't have to be a big scorer on that team. She's more of a role player. Quigley was hot the game before and they tried to repeat that but it didn't pan out.

Maya was probably wrapped up in guarding EDD which surprised me that a 6 footer can guard a 6' 5" so well. They talked to her at halftime but i don't remember what she said.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Young is shooting 27% percent. Not very good for a starting 2-guard. The other players Chicago has used in that spot, Clements (43%) and Quigley (41%) are doing much better. Admittedly it's a small sample size and Young's career numbers are much better...but still...she's not in the game for her jumpshot.

Reaction Score
I would prefer to see them as opponents so we get to see them match up against each other. THAT would be fun to watch.
Yes it would for the basketball purists, but the WNBA needs to get the new fans, and keep them to grow. EDD, Stewie on the same team,with a good point guard could do amazing things to grow the game. Much like the Lakers did with Showtime in the 1980's. Also the Olympics are the year Stewie comes out, EDD, and Stewie could together could be billed as future Olympic team-mates.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yes it would for the basketball purists, but the WNBA needs to get the new fans, and keep them to grow. EDD, Stewie on the same team,with a good point guard could do amazing things to grow the game. Much like the Lakers did with Showtime in the 1980's. Also the Olympics are the year Stewie comes out, EDD, and Stewie could together could be billed as future Olympic team-mates.

I have a better thought...Stewart and Griner on the same team. Talk about blocking some shots!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well, Stewart's going to be the #1 pick. And I doubt that Phoenix or Chicago are going to be in the lottery any time soon. So I don't think she'll get to team with either Griner or EDD.

I have a feeling we'll get to see Griner and Stewart play together for USA basketball. EDD plays the 3 for the Sky, so you could actually have EDD, Stewart, and Griner out there all at the same time.

Reaction Score
You very well could see Griner, EDD, Maya, Stewie, and DT on the court at the same time in the Olympics That would truly be a lineup, that you couldn't guard, besides also being able to play a little defense.

Reaction Score
Mind boggling to think how good that olympic team is going to be.

I'm going to see Candace Parker play on Sunday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom