May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II | The Boneyard

May 2024 WNBA Thread, part II

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In the past day or two, I saw a caption of an article that said, "Chelsea Gray MAY be back this season." I haven't heard any more.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I kinda recall when it happened that some speculated that it was a lisfranc injury. My mother had the same injury back in 2001.

Reaction Score

I agree with this sentiment. Takes some of the shine off the game for me. Hopefully Nneka's injury isn't serious and Nika's visa status gets resolved soon.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Tried to tune in...it's getting pre-empted for some vacuous talk show. I don't know if this is like the NFL with it's blackout rules or what.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
I kinda recall when it happened that some speculated that it was a lisfranc injury. My mother had the same injury back in 2001.
That would not surprise me, as it does fit the timetable (six months or so recovery).

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score

Yesterday's article says she "probably" will be back this season. Will she be ready for Paris in 2 months?
I'm going to guess that she is expecting to be, based on this quote:

"I'm good. We're just taking our time with it. It's a long season. And if I'm lucky enough to be selected for the Olympics, it's longer."
She didn't say, "since it's an Olympic year, it's longer".

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Maybe I had the start time wrong. I turned the TV on again, just as a 15 point lead was disappearing. My jinx strikes again.

I think Gardner held the record for oldest rookie. Does that now belong to 31 year old Vanloo from the Mystics?

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Seattle is a bad team right now. They're unwatchable. I know they're missing Nneka today, but Washington is missing two of the three legit starters they have. Meanwhile, Seattle has three other All-Stars and a serviceable post.

Looking around WNBA internetland, I'm shocked that Cam Brink fans are so upset that Kate Martin is getting far more love for her performance in yesterday's game. If more people are praising Kate, a second-round pick who many didn't expect to make the team, over Cam, a #2 overall pick that some have started hyping for ROY, then that says a lot. It says that Kate outplayed her (if ever so slightly). It happens.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Seattle is a bad team right now. They're unwatchable. I know they're missing Nneka today, but Washington is missing two of the three legit starters they have. Meanwhile, Seattle has three other All-Stars and a serviceable post.

Looking around WNBA internetland, I'm shocked that Cam Brink fans are so upset that Kate Martin is getting far more love for her performance in yesterday's game. If more people are praising Kate, a second-round pick who many didn't expect to make the team, over Cam, a #2 overall pick that some have started hyping for ROY, then that says a lot. It says that Kate outplayed her (if ever so slightly). It happens.
I'm not sure that Martin outplayed Brink. Stat line says otherwise. Both only made 1 bucket, although Brink had more attempts. Rebounds and blocks well in favor of Cameron. Martin did have more assists. Kate was a nice spark off the bench, but Brink was a fairly big defensive presence throughout the game.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Storm gonna pull this out. Not very good shooting but Loyd and SDS are putting up some points. Jewell sure can find her way to the FT line.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Does anyone know why Shakira Austin didn't play in today's game against the Storm? Aaliyah started in her place, I see.

Ah, I see that the final box score indicates that Austin has a hip injury. I wonder when this happened? She looked fine against the Sun on Friday evening.

Aaliyah had 9 points and 11 rebounds in 25 minutes. Not bad, especially the rebounds.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that Martin outplayed Brink. Stat line says otherwise. Both only made 1 bucket, although Brink had more attempts. Rebounds and blocks well in favor of Cameron. Martin did have more assists. Kate was a nice spark off the bench, but Brink was a fairly big defensive presence throughout the game.
Kate outplayed Brink. Her energy (and ability to play without fouling) allowed her to remain on the court during crucial points in the game. She helped spark (no pun intended) a pretty sizable run that kept the Aces ahead for the rest of the game. With Kiah Stokes being fairly worthless for large stretches of that game, Kate's contributions were significant. Brink's helpside defense was solid and she protected the rim well, but (1) that's what she's known for and (2) her inability to remain on the court for more than 20 minutes hurt her team. She was also a liability offensively in this game.

The fact that we're comparing "a nice spark off the bench" to the #2-overall pick speaks volumes.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Does anyone know why Shakira Austin didn't play in today's game against the Storm? Aaliyah started in her place, I see.

Ah, I see that the final box score indicates that Austin has a hip injury. I wonder when this happened? She looked fine against the Sun on Friday evening.

Aaliyah had 9 points and 11 rebounds in 25 minutes. Not bad, especially the rebounds.
Shakira not playing may have been more precautionary than anything. I would expect her to play against the Sparks on Tuesday.

Aaliyah looked solid out there today. I was rooting for her to get the double-double, but it wasn't meant to be this time.

Reaction Score

She is coming off hip surgery. I believe she’s having some pain/issues

Reaction Score
Million dollar a year coach Nate Tiibetts picks up his first win is a coach in the women's game, although the Mercury do their best to fumble away a lead in the fourth quarter against the Dream.

Tiibetts installation of defense continues to be working process as the Mercury seem committed to leading the league in points allowed and leading the league in personal fouls. Help me remember what Geno says about fouling.....

In any event the Mercury will host the Aces later this week. I suspect the result will be much different than the season opener and I'm wondering if that stout Mercury defense will hold the Aces under 100.

Over under on Mercury valves 24.

Estimated date of first T of the season for the WNBA career leader May 21.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
The fact that we're comparing "a nice spark off the bench" to the #2-overall pick speaks volumes.
I'll agree on that, obviously more is expected of Brink.

packwrap

The real 'shlynn Shadey
Reaction Score
The excitement for Martin is similar to that for Muhl. We all love an underdog.

Brink early on does look to be an excellent pro. Solid in the post with good passing and a 3 point shot. Stewy light, just not as mobile.

Martin is a great story. Getting drafted from the audience, making the team, now playing well. Hope she continues and makes a long career.

Reaction Score

I have watched more WNBA games this year than any other year and I find it almost impossible to enjoy. The interior defense is hold, push and hack and if you are a rookie you get zero calls. If the WNBA is ever to be a viable league they need to move it to more like the college game than the NBA game.

The only way they can slow down CC is to grab her and bump her on every play. I hate to say it be the league needs to meet with the Refs and get it cleaned up and cleaned up fast.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
In any event the Mercury will host the Aces later this week. I suspect the result will be much different than the season opener and I'm wondering if that stout Mercury defense will hold the Aces under 100.

Over under on Mercury valves 24.

Estimated date of first T of the season for the WNBA career leader May 21.
I see things differently for the Mercury/Aces (it's another Aces home game). Until this Aces PG situation improves, I'm not predicting any double-digit victories for the Aces. In fact, I believe they would be fortunate to defeat Phoenix again despite BG's absence.

So far, the Aces offense has been somewhat tough to watch. They're in the bottom half of the league in FG% offense (42%, which puts them right there with that juggernaut Indiana Fever team) and 3-point % (32%, which is poor). There isn't enough ball movement or player movement at all times, which leads to stagnation. TO numbers do look good, but the PITP (i.e. closer shots to the rim--Aces are in the bottom half of the league in that category) needs to be higher if the three ball isn't going to fall.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
The excitement for Martin is similar to that for Muhl. We all love an underdog.

Brink early on does look to be an excellent pro. Solid in the post with good passing and a 3 point shot. Stewy light, just not as mobile.

Martin is a great story. Getting drafted from the audience, making the team, now playing well. Hope she continues and makes a long career

6.6 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 4.5apg, 32% FG, 32% 3-pt FG

Those are #1 pick Jackie Young's full rookie year stats.

Anyone trying to determine "how good" any rookie is after 2-3 games needs to take a breath. Same should be said for overall teams too.

We are not even 1/10 of the way into the season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
In fact, I believe they would be fortunate to defeat Phoenix again despite BG's absence.
Let's see if the Merc shoot 15-36 from 3 again. They were 6-23 against Atlanta. It was a perfect storm for Phoenix in their first game against LV, and they still lost by 9.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
6.6 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 4.5apg, 32% FG, 32% 3-pt FG

Those are #1 pick Jackie Young's full rookie year stats.
Let's provide the full context. During Jackie's rookie season (2019):

1) She was playing out of position (Laimbeer was trying to turn her into a PG).
2) She was playing for a coach (Laimbeer) who could not teach modern-day basketball principles (i.e. pace and space).

Had she landed with the Storm, Lynx, Mystics, Sun, or any other championship contender (i.e. organizations that were competent and not in the middle of a rebuild/rebrand), does she produce those inefficient stats or does she produce stats that more closely reflect that of a promising #1 overall pick?

Anyone trying to determine "how good" any rookie is after 2-3 games needs to take a breath. Same should be said for overall teams too.

We are not even 1/10 of the way into the season.
When information is readily available, people are free to interpret it however they wish.

I honestly don't see much difference in these "rash" judgments being made on rookies than the judgments being made about them before they play a single WNBA game--except that it's perfectly acceptable to say that Rookie A will be the next Sheryl Swoopes or Sue Bird from the jump as long as there isn't any information that may temper those expectations.

Also, it's okay to play "doomsday" when it comes to certain prospects. When people said on here that Angel Reese's game would not translate to the WNBA before she recorded a single WNBA minute, nobody batted an eye.

Last edited:

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
Let's see if the Merc shoot 15-36 from 3 again. They were 6-23 against Atlanta. It was a perfect storm for Phoenix in their first game against LV, and they still lost by 9.
Proving that you can hit the three can really open up the court for a team. I don't know if Becky will treat that game as a fluke performance, but there are a handful of players on that Mercury squad who aren't known to be fluky shooters from distance.

Also, Allen, Cloud, and Copper are massive upgrades defensively for Phoenix's perimeter personnel.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom