Matt Brock - New Defensive Coordinator | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Matt Brock - New Defensive Coordinator

Reaction Score
The Courant version:

Alternative access <<

-> “What I’ve been used to and what we will do here I think is a pretty significant difference from what they had done. And I’ll just be honest, I made the comment when (Mora) first started talking to me I said, ‘I’m a little surprised you’re interested in it because it is different,'” Brock said.

“His willingness to embrace that and almost be energized by it, from my outside looking in on his personality, that honestly gave me faith in the opportunity as well. Because this is a guy that’s done it at the highest level as a defensive coach and he’s energized by learning something new and doing something new. In any business, in any career, when you stop learning you’re done. So I thought that was a great sign.” <-

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The Courant version:

Alternative access <<

-> “What I’ve been used to and what we will do here I think is a pretty significant difference from what they had done. And I’ll just be honest, I made the comment when (Mora) first started talking to me I said, ‘I’m a little surprised you’re interested in it because it is different,'” Brock said.

“His willingness to embrace that and almost be energized by it, from my outside looking in on his personality, that honestly gave me faith in the opportunity as well. Because this is a guy that’s done it at the highest level as a defensive coach and he’s energized by learning something new and doing something new. In any business, in any career, when you stop learning you’re done. So I thought that was a great sign.” <-

I love hearing Mora is embracing new concepts. Now I am curious how different the defense will look next year.

Reaction Score
Which nonpower conference FBS programs that have our level of talent run a successful 3-3-5? Honest question. Jacksonville State with Rich Rod... anyone else?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Flashbacks, lol.

But forget about Crocker, last season's secondary got torched. I hope the incoming portal kids (K State, NMSU x2, CMU) can give us the quality and depth we need to run what Brock wants to run.

I do like the idea of playing with a chip on our shoulder - this football program needs some Jim Calhoun.
Crocker was in a lose lose situation tbh... Way too much youth for the defense to be effective in the short term.... The entire team was too young while he was here... undersized, underdeveloped,... we were boys playing grown men out there... I'm sticking with the half glass full mindset ... we're in a better spot now from a physical standpoint I think...

Reaction Score
I think this switch to a 3-3-5 will be a little more subtle than just diving completely into it... due to current personnel... I don't see a mass exodus on that side of the ball.. not after what's already transpired this current recruiting cycle... JM's definitely gonna let Brock do his thing, but, being a defensive minded coach himself, with all of his years of experience, you can't tell me he's not going to provide input here and there that will make the transition work (way better than last time with Crocker/Edsall 2.0)... We've got quite a bit more talent this time around, along with maturity...

Reaction Score
I think this switch to a 3-3-5 will be a little more subtle than just diving completely into it... due to current personnel... I don't see a mass exodus on that side of the ball.. not after what's already transpired this current recruiting cycle... JM's definitely gonna let Brock do his thing, but, being a defensive minded coach himself, with all of his years of experience, you can't tell me he's not going to provide input here and there that will make the transition work (way better than last time with Crocker/Edsall 2.0)... We've got quite a bit more talent this time around, along with maturity...
We played many downs with 5 DBs last year. The difference was we were kind of a 4-2-5 depending how you classify the positions of the players.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

Jack Nicholson Yes GIF

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I love hearing Mora is embracing new concepts. Now I am curious how different the defense will look next year.

I wish this willingness to embrace change also occurred on the offensive side of the ball.

Reaction Score
Crocker was in a lose lose situation tbh... Way too much youth for the defense to be effective in the short term.... The entire team was too young while he was here... undersized, underdeveloped,... we were boys playing grown men out there... I'm sticking with the half glass full mindset ... we're in a better spot now from a physical standpoint I think...
I would say with the transfers hopefully they are better to adapt. Not the same personnel mostly as last year. As for history, it didn’t work IMO because RE threw his players into the fire in hopes to develop them for year 2 or 3. Did the same in his first stint and year 1at MD.

Reaction Score
We haven't faced as many run-heavy teams but 3-3-5's aren't the best at countering running/mobile QB's who we do seem to face a lot of in our recent schedules.

Reaction Score
Good overall read from Aman Kidwai @ Husky Football Forum:

-> Strategically, it’s a defense that makes sense for UConn in a few ways. The 3-3-5 has been known to be an answer to spread passing offenses, a concept that almost all teams use in some form.

From a recruiting standpoint, if traditional beefy tackles and taller edge rushers are being sought out by major (wealthier) programs, then some great DE/DT and DE/LB tweeners might be available for programs like UConn to recruit and offer a place to shine. A DB/LB tweener who’s either a step slow or not big enough to get a look from the top of the P4 could find a good-fit opportunity in this style of defense.

The defense has also been successful. Arnett, who brought the 3-3-5 to Mississippi State, has said that keeping offenses on their toes by mixing up the numbers on the line of scrimmage and unpredictable stunts and shifts contributed to his teams’ defensive success.

The Bulldogs’ “bend but don’t break” approach with six players in the box made them susceptible to the run but overall their defenses performed well.

Though the team finished 5-7 and 72nd in the country in overall efficiency last year, the Bulldogs were stronger defensively, ranked 49th in the country in FEI compared to an offense ranked 104th. The previous season, they finished 9-4 with the 14th-ranked defense and 14th overall ranking in FEI.<-

Reaction Score
i would guess that Mora will still have a strong influence on the defense and that the scheme won’t change much at all. I hope this means Mora has more time for other leadership activities.
Perhaps a little more attention to the O?

Reaction Score
I think the 3-3-5 is becoming more common as a way to defend against passing attacks in use now. Teams might not use it all the time and I doubt we will. But if you have a big Strong safety for example he can be almost a 4th linebacker when appropriate.

Reaction Score
I think the 3-3-5 is becoming more common as a way to defend against passing attacks in use now. Teams might not use it all the time and I doubt we will. But if you have a big Strong safety for example he can be almost a 4th linebacker when appropriate.
And that may be why running the ball seems to be on the rebound. Which plays to the strength of northern teams.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
And that may be why running the ball seems to be on the rebound. Which plays to the strength of northern teams.
i had thought the “northern teams need to run the ball” myth had been extinguished. Sad to see it back.

Reaction Score
i had thought the “northern teams need to run the ball” myth had been extinguished. Sad to see it back.
Every coach that has ever come to UConn, including the current OC, has said "first we have to establish the ground game". ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom