Maryland assistant hired by Mystics | The Boneyard

Maryland assistant hired by Mystics

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Not by the Mystics, by the NBA Washington Wizards.

Reaction Score
Brenda Frese @BrendaFrese
W/great pride we congratulate our own @coachadkins on being hired by @NBA @WashWizards to develop their players. Love dreams come true.

"dreams come true" LOL Adkins had a big contract at Maryland, and now is one of 8 or 9 coaches with the Wizards. Was he offered a contract extension, or is this another coach thrown under the bus by Frese ? most contracts end June 30th, and Maryland has major financial problems.

This is the 3rd coach to leave this year, and last year the director of basketball operations dream came true when he left for a high school job.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
"dreams come true" LOL Adkins had a big contract at Maryland, and now is one of 8 or 9 coaches with the Wizards. Was he offered a contract extension, or is this another coach thrown under the bus by Frese ? most contracts end June 30th, and Maryland has major financial problems.

This is the 3rd coach to leave this year, and last year the director of basketball operations dream came true when he left for a high school job.

The NBA pays a lot more than a women's college basketball assistant. And you overstate the number of assistants with the Wizards.

3rd MD women's basketball coach to leave this year? Langley has been on staff for over six years, while Chinn has been there since 2009. Adkins was there for five years before the announcement today.

Reaction Score
The NBA pays a lot more than a women's college basketball assistant. And you overstate the number of assistants with the Wizards.

3rd MD women's basketball coach to leave this year? Langley has been on staff for over six years, while Chinn has been there since 2009. Adkins was there for five years before the announcement today.

Adkins was one of the highest paid assistants in the country. Debbie Yow gave Frese a blank check several years ago to hire assistants. Reportedly Adkins made $300,000. The Wizards had 7 assistant coaches listed this mourning, now it is 6, not including Adkins. So Adkins will be one of 8 coaches. Do all the assistant coaches make $300,000. ?

Yes, 3 coaches left this year. Zach Kancher left for Miami, and the video coordinator coach left. Chris Campbell the director of basketball operations left last year to become head girls basketball coach at Sherwood HS, and a $5,000. salary.

Last edited:

HGN

Reaction Score
Coach Adkins replaces Coach Saunders , who left the Wizards staff to join his dad Flip Saunders with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Adkins was one of the highest paid assistants in the country. Debbie Yow gave Frese a blank check several years ago to hire assistants. Reportedly Adkins made $300,000. The Wizards had 7 assistant coaches listed this mourning, now it is 6, not including Adkins. So Adkins will be one of 8 coaches. Do all the assistant coaches make $300,000. ?

Yes, 3 coaches left this year. Zach Kancher left for Miami, and the video coordinator coach left. Chris Campbell the director of basketball operations left last year to become head girls basketball coach at Sherwood HS, and a $5,000. salary.

No, three coaches did NOT leave. I gave the names from last year. Kancher was not an assistant.

Assistant coaches make a LOT in the NBA.

Reaction Score

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Kancher was NOT a coach at Maryland. I provided the names of the three assistants.

Where is your link that three assistants left? It never happened. One left this year, and it is for an NBA job.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
http://www.therichest.com/sports/ba...ant-coaches-what-they-once-earned-as-players/

The NBA tends to be secretive about the current salaries of assistant coaches. Besides, they aren’t even allowed to speak to the media because they probably know about all the NBA’s dirty laundry. Well, maybe.

Here’s what we know: Mike Malone, now the head coach of the Sacramento Kings was said to be the highest-earning assistant last season, banking $750,000 with the Golden State Warriors. After Brooklyn Nets head coach Jason Kidd, let go of Lawrence Frank late last year, reports swirled that he was the league’s top-paid assistant in the NBA for the 2013-2014 season. Frank was given a four-year deal worth more than $1 million a season. The Pistons still owe Frank $4 million for next year following his discharge after two seasons, but his salary with Brooklyn will be deducted from Detroit.

Reaction Score
John is on many boards, under many names, bashing Maryland and providing misinformation whenever possible.

This was published in local media around the time Adkins was hired at Maryland.

Maryland employs Tina Langley ($134,185), Marlin Chinn ($120,090) and David Adkins ($100,090) as women’s assistants. Langley’s base pay is $105,745, Chinn’s is $91,650 and Adkins’ is $83,650.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Way better potential job opportunities come from being an assistant coach in the NBA over an assistant WCBB coach.

Reaction Score
John is on many boards, under many names, bashing Maryland and providing misinformation whenever possible.

This was published in local media around the time Adkins was hired at Maryland.

Maryland employs Tina Langley ($134,185), Marlin Chinn ($120,090) and David Adkins ($100,090) as women’s assistants. Langley’s base pay is $105,745, Chinn’s is $91,650 and Adkins’ is $83,650.

base pay is not actual salary, nice try, Frese has a base salary of $400k, and an actual salary of about a million (per Balt. Sun) Maryland fans excel in misinformation.

I guess Chris Campbell going from UMD to Sherwood High school was a promotion too.

Last edited:

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
base pay is not actual salary, nice try, Frese has a base salary of $400k, and an actual salary of about a million (per Balt. Sun) Maryland fans excel in misinformation.

I guess Chris Campbell going from UMD to Sherwood High school was a promotion too.

I appreciate you ignoring the information you requested.

Does sound like you have a turtle issue...

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Assistant Coaches reported salaries are much more accurate than head coach salaries. The salaries listed above by outside shot are consistent with what I have read at other schools and in articles for Assistant Coach salaries. I have no idea what Freese makes total but your numbers are possible, that's the way it works for Head Coaches.

Also, there are only 3 Assistant Coaches at a school, I don't care what the HC wants to call the other staff members, but this is defined by the NCAA.

Reaction Score
I appreciate you ignoring the information you requested.

Does sound like you have a turtle issue...

ignoring your "secretive" information ? I guess you missed my stealth response. The bottom line is becoming one of 7 assistant coaches for a NBA team is not necessarily a big pay day.

Not a big fan of unethical, disingenuous people.

D1 college basketball staffs have at least 6 people assisting the head coach in practice, you can call them what you want... they are coaching the team, and off the court there is video , and scouting staff helping as well.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Being a NBA assistant coach is a much better job than being a women's college basketball assistant coach. How is this even a debate? The Bulls have 4 assistants and the Wizards have 5 while colleges have 3 assistants. The number of assistants isn't the issue, it is the preeminent league in the world. The pay is not comparable either just look at Derek Fisher who has never even coached before and he just got a 5 year $25 million dollar contract to be the head coach of the Knicks. The assistants are making six figures easy and they don't have to deal with high school scouting which is time consuming. The opportunities for advancement are way better in the pro game than in college.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
ignoring your "secretive" information ? I guess you missed my stealth response. The bottom line is becoming one of 7 assistant coaches for a NBA team is not necessarily a big pay day.

Not a big fan of unethical, disingenuous people.

"unethical, disingenuous people." Look in the mirror, dudlette. It's a quote from a linked article, dear silly one. Where the heck are your "facts" ... You asked, and they were provided. All you do is prevaricate and obfuscate because what folks offers challenges your smoke-filled allegations. Prove you bloody bottom line, you silly turtle-tacker, ore your lab will really start weeping.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
D1 college basketball staffs have at least 6 people assisting the head coach in practice, you can call them what you want... they are coaching the team, and off the court there is video , and scouting staff helping as well.
Hopefully, they are called "managers". If they are not one of the 3 Assistant Coaches, it is an NCAA violation to "coach" the players on the court. Practice or actual game.

Scouting staff???? You do know that there is only video scouting of the opponent permitted? Usually, one of a team's 3 assistant coaches does the scout for a specific game. They do work with the video coordinator, and the HC watches video as well for most teams.

If you know of something different going on at Maryland - find someone to report them to the NCAA.

Reaction Score
David Adkins is the longtime trainer of Kevin Durant (and Marissa Coleman). Durant is set to be a free agent soon and there has been some speculation that he may want to come back home to Washington DC and that the Wizards are gearing up to make a serious play for the league MVP. Not far fetched that the Adkins hire is a direct move for Durant.

Reaction Score
David Adkins is the longtime trainer of Kevin Durant (and Marissa Coleman). Durant is set to be a free agent soon and there has been some speculation that he may want to come back home to Washington DC and that the Wizards are gearing up to make a serious play for the league MVP. Not far fetched that the Adkins hire is a direct move for Durant.
Great scoop!

Reaction Score
Hopefully, they are called "managers". If they are not one of the 3 Assistant Coaches, it is an NCAA violation to "coach" the players on the court. Practice or actual game.

Scouting staff???? You do know that there is only video scouting of the opponent permitted? Usually, one of a team's 3 assistant coaches does the scout for a specific game. They do work with the video coordinator, and the HC watches video as well for most teams.

If you know of something different going on at Maryland - find someone to report them to the NCAA.

the staff is huge, 8 plus media, trainers, academic support, grad students, and managers

http://www.marylandwomensbasketball.com/

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
the staff is huge, 8 plus media, trainers, academic support, grad students, and managers

http://www.marylandwomensbasketball.com/
I'll give you that they look a bit overstocked, but I think over-titled, as well. And none of them coaches.

I think, under the titles, you actually have the SID for WBB, the office administrator and what in some schools is a "strength and conditioning" coach. RU has all of the above. Also, all schools have academic advisors, and most have operations directors and a video person. "Scouting and Player Development" sounds odd, but I think you said he left. And the "Assistant to the Recruiting Coordinator" is probably equivalent to the "Assistant to the Head Coach" that we have at Rutgers.

In all, RU has 8 staff members if you count the SID (7 listed on the staff page); Maryland has 9 pictured.

Media is not generally considered part of the basketball staff, and most teams have around 4 (RU has had up to 6) Managers. It takes a lot of folks to run a current WBB operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom