Maryland (7) @ Minnesota - 3/01/20 | The Boneyard

Maryland (7) @ Minnesota - 3/01/20

Who will win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Minneapolis, MN - 4:00 PM ET
TV: ESPN2 (Beth Mowins, Rebecca Lobo, Mike Thibault)

Video stream:

Audio:

Live stats:

The A+ Team is covering this game: Beth Mowins, Rebecca Lobo & Mike Thibault

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I still don't understand why Minn decided to Extend Lindsey's contract in February. First, the original one wasn't due to expire until 2022 and Second, they only added 1 year to it so it expires in 2023. Does anyone have a clue as to why this was done? I mean it certainly was done because of her performance. As great a player as she was, her coaching is probably an "an incomplete grade" with time still needed or it is trending towards "below average". A real head scratcher here for me...Anyone with relevant thoughts on this to help a brother out?

Reaction Score
I still don't understand why Minn decided to Extend Lindsey's contract in February. First, the original one wasn't due to expire until 2022 and Second, they only added 1 year to it so it expires in 2023. Does anyone have a clue as to why this was done? I mean it certainly was done because of her performance. As great a player as she was, her coaching is probably an "an incomplete grade" with time still needed or it is trending towards "below average". A real head scratcher here for me...Anyone with relevant thoughts on this to help a brother out?
For recruitment purposes is part of the reason although it is rather a tepid commitment by both parties. Whalen may still be determining whether she wants to be a college coach.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
For recruitment purposes is part of the reason although it is rather a tepid commitment by both parties. Whalen may still be determining whether she wants to be a college coach.
Was that written somewhere or is that speculation on your part? It makes no sense to that as NO other schools add 1 year to an contract with 2 more years still left for "recruiting purposes" as the one year doesn't give any high school player comfort-this year's class is already done and they would graduate in 2024. Next year's class (this year's HS Juniors) would graduate 2025, 2 years AFTER her contract expires in 2023. That's why I don't buy the "recruiting angle". Why the school would grant her another year "that 4 years didn't, to figure out if she still wants to coach" is also not logical during year 2 of that tenure. To be fair, recruiting takes time and patience, even a 4 year contract puts you 2 years behind. The signing classes were already complete for her first year so nothing could be done. The HS Juniors also already had either signed or had narrowed their choices down to a few schools so it's this year effort and next year's that should have shown some improvement. I worry if she still isn't sure she doesn't want to coach and the school and her thinks the 1 more year will help her. :eek:

Reaction Score
Was that written somewhere or is that speculation on your part? It makes no sense to that as NO other schools add 1 year to an contract with 2 more years still left for "recruiting purposes" as the one year doesn't give any high school player comfort-this year's class is already done and they would graduate in 2024. Next year's class (this year's HS Juniors) would graduate 2025, 2 years AFTER her contract expires in 2023. That's why I don't buy the "recruiting angle". Why the school would grant her another year "that 4 years didn't, to figure out if she still wants to coach" is also not logical during year 2 of that tenure. To be fair, recruiting takes time and patience, even a 4 year contract puts you 2 years behind. The signing classes were already complete for her first year so nothing could be done. The HS Juniors also already had either signed or had narrowed their choices down to a few schools so it's this year effort and next year's that should have shown some improvement. I worry if she still isn't sure she doesn't want to coach and the school and her thinks the 1 more year will help her. :eek:
Whalen's situation is a very unusual circumstance in which a highly successful pro player comes back to coach without relevant coaching experience. Every year that is added to her contract strengthens her ability to recruit, regardless of whether she is inked for four or more years. How she opts to explain her contract to prospective recruits is her call, but adding a year to the duration of her contract does help with recruiting. While coaches can be fired for cause and/or performance at any time, an extra year of contractual pay makes it more likely that both parties will honor the full duration of the contract. Recruits and their parents understand the value of an additional year and the increased likelihood that the incumbent coach may stay for the entire duration of the recruit's career.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Now my season feels almost complete! A Brenda Frese locker room speech!

Plebe

Reaction Score
Has no one ever thought that the elevated floor at Minnesota is dangerous for the players? I hold my breath every time a player goes flying off at full speed.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
Maryland defense seems to be pretty good. First time I recall hearing Mike Thibault doing color/analysis. He's really good! Would be neat to hear him do UConn games.

Reaction Score
Maryland defense seems to be pretty good. First time I recall hearing Mike Thibault doing color/analysis. He's really good! Would be neat to hear him do UConn games.

This is his way of getting paid to scout WNBA players. Scouting Kaila Charles, Stephanie Jones, and Watson today. Although I seriously doubt the Mystics can add more than one rookie this season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
52-19. Maryland looks like they're peaking at the right time. They're throttling everyone in their path.

Reaction Score
Minnesota is built to be a great team in a mid-major conference, with their 4 guard starting lineup.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
I'm really enjoying watching Md. play. First struck by their defense, but they got some offense too. I know Frese has been kind of a pinata around here, but I'm happy for her.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I'm really enjoying watching Md. play. First struck by their defense, but they got some offense too. I know Frese has been kind of a pinata around here, but I'm happy for her.
This is the best defense I've ever seen from a Maryland team. Reportedly borrowed the Texas Tech Chris Beard defense. It's totally transformed their season.

Reaction Score
Maryland scored 22 pts in the first 4 minutes of the third quarter. :confused:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
MD looking as good as any team in the country this last month.

wbball novice

That bandwagon guy
Reaction Score
By the way, Beth Mowins is play by play. Thought the voice was familiar. She or Rebecca came up with the "UConundrum"

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Yeah this is a massive beat down. 79-33 late in Q3.

Reaction Score
The Terps pushing hard for that #1 line. Closing with a vengeance. Two Stanford losses this week helps.

Reaction Score
All this is happening with Austin playing only 8 min because of foul trouble. I guess it’s safe to say the Gophers couldn’t take advantage of that.

Mikesell lighting it up from three 6-7. When she’s hitting, this is a tough team. She wasn’t hitting much early in the season is my recollection.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
sadgopher.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member