OT: - Mark Few on UConn | The Boneyard

OT: Mark Few on UConn

Reaction Score
Few makes an interesting point that connects to what was brought up in another thread about SDSU's uniquely effective "stunt and recover" defense.

Few correctly points out that 90-95% of college offenses are predicated on ball screens, straight PnR, drive and kick type action. And that's the kind of offense that the SDSU D is effective at stymieing. But that's not at all what we run.

How well can they slow multiple off-ball screening actions and options?

Reaction Score
Few makes an interesting point that connects to what was brought up in another thread about SDSU's uniquely effective "stunt and recover" defense.

Few correctly points out that 90-95% of college offenses are predicated on ball screens, straight PnR, drive and kick type action. And that's the kind of offense that the SDSU D is effective at stymieing. But that's not at all what we run.

I’m thinking they’re going to get frustrated early and start really holding us. I trust our staff to ensure the refs see this even if they don’t at first, and then coach the guys to do what they need to to get those called, which will ruin any chance they had of staying with us.

Poe

Reaction Score
The coordinated movement by all 5 players is what really sets this team apart, no one is standing around just waiting for something to happen. Watching other teams play it’s clear that other offenses aren’t nearly as sophisticated. Of course it helps that we have incredible personnel with 5 guys that can really do it all.

Reaction Score
I’m thinking they’re going to get frustrated early and start really holding us. I trust our staff to ensure the refs see this even if they don’t at first, and then coach the guys to do what they need to to get those called, which will ruin any chance they had of staying with us.

And we’ve shown now that if they overplay the perimeter, we shift to pounding it in the paint. Donovan, plus Cam/Newton/Castle penetrating and Alex cutting all over the place. So fluid it’s just automatic now.

Reaction Score
The coordinated movement by all 5 players is what really sets this team apart, no one is standing around just waiting for something to happen. Watching other teams play it’s clear that other offenses aren’t nearly as sophisticated. Of course it helps that we have incredible personnel with 5 guys that can really do it all.
Yes!!! As I've watched these hoops gurus break down what UConn does on offense I've started to watch our games differently and not just following the ball but watching who's moving where. Like Mark Few said, it's not just a bunch of typical screens. Then when I watch other teams play, it seems like like they run such a simple offense with a lot of standing around. LOL

Reaction Score
Yes!!! As I've watched these hoops gurus break down what UConn does on offense I've started to watch our games differently and not just following the ball but watching who's moving where. Like Mark Few said, it's not just a bunch of typical screens. Then when I watch other teams play, it seems like like they run such a simple offense with a lot of standing around. LOL
Same here, there was a play in the second half of the NW game where diarra had the ball top of key late in the shot clock, Clingan setting a screen and both rolling toward the hoop. All of your attention was on Diarra and Clingan will they/wont they alley oop, when Newton flies in on the other side and diarra hits him for the open layup.

I went back and played it again, and it was all a setup for Newton to slip the moment his defender tried to help on the Newton drive. The coaching staff is simply masterful with what they’re running and how they’ve got the team bought in and trained so dang well in what they do. We’re such a great TEAM and it’s easy to be proud of them regardless of how much further this run goes

Reaction Score

This is where dealing with the overly lax refereeing in the Big East comes into play as a significant positive for us. If San Diego State reverts to clutching and grabbing us off the ball it will be exactly like what we deal with most every game we play in conference.

As frustrating as it is to watch the constant clutching and grabbing during conference play that goes mostly uncalled, it does afford us a substantial advantage playing against everyone else in this tournament... just as it did last year.

Ok, I'm ready for tomorrow night. Time to get the next leg of this march toward greatness started.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Its even crazier than that now, because we are so dialed in right now that we are running fake actions and ghost screens off of already insanely complicated actions that teams have scouted us doing earlier. Prepping for this team as an opponent has to be pure hell. We are always one step ahead.

That being said, it doesnt make us unbeatable, it just makes the job that much harder. I'll ride with those odds.

Reaction Score
And
Its even crazier than that now, because we are so dialed in right now that we are running fake actions and ghost screens off of already insanely complicated actions that teams have scouted us doing earlier. Prepping for this team as an opponent has to be pure hell. We are always one step ahead.

That being said, it doesnt make us unbeatable, it just makes the job that much harder. I'll ride with those odds.
I recall during the NW game that one of the announcers noted that we got an easy basket off of something they hadn't seen. So not only are those offensive sets hard to prep for, but the playbook is super deep and chances are you can't even prep for things we don't run very often

Reaction Score

75-59…

August_West

Reaction Score
And

I recall during the NW game that one of the announcers noted that we got an easy basket off of something they hadn't seen. So not only are those offensive sets hard to prep for, but the playbook is super deep and chances are you can't even prep for things we don't run very often

The thing is, we really haven't introduced anything groundbreakingly new. What is new are the wrinkles to the already huge playbook. Stuff like faking a DHO (dribble hand off- the start of many of our actions ) and then the supposed recipient of the DHO peels of and cuts to rim when opponent D is crowding the hand off. It is still the base DHO set, nothing new, but we are now reading and reacting to get an clear lane to hoop. Or when Clingan comes to set a screen for a flare for Alex or Cam to get a look at 3 ,we've run it so much this year, but instead of setting the screen Clingan will pretend he is about to set the screen, the opponent D will come out high to go over it because they are scared of Alex and Cam's 3 ball, and then Clingan will head right back to the hoop. It's insane. In addition to all the other skills our squad has this year, we also should be in line for an Academy Award for acting. (Probably at least in the "Best supporting cast" category.)

They are like a high level jazz combo right now, playing off the written music charts for the structure of the song, and then improvising the breaks at a level of John Coltrane or Miles Davis.

Reaction Score

I have not read from any serious minded people that we are not beatable. But it is going to take an extraordinary effort, and a lot of good luck, to beat us.

August_West

Reaction Score
I have not read from any serious minded people that we are not beatable. But it is going to take an extraordinary effort, and a lot of good luck, to beat us.

I've heard it a bunch from people who think they are serious minded.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
They are like a high level jazz combo right now, playing off the written music charts for the structure of the song, and then improvising the breaks at a level of John Coltrane or Miles Davis.

Angry Season 2 GIF by The Lonely Island

Reaction Score
Same here, there was a play in the second half of the NW game where diarra had the ball top of key late in the shot clock, Clingan setting a screen and both rolling toward the hoop. All of your attention was on Diarra and Clingan will they/wont they alley oop, when Newton flies in on the other side and diarra hits him for the open layup.

I went back and played it again, and it was all a setup for Newton to slip the moment his defender tried to help on the Newton drive. The coaching staff is simply masterful with what they’re running and how they’ve got the team bought in and trained so dang well in what they do. We’re such a great TEAM and it’s easy to be proud of them regardless of how much further this run goes
I was watching the game with my dad. I said "whoa, where the heck did Newton come from ?" I love the strategy of basketball, and I think it takes something pretty interesting to totally fake me out on my couch. Maybe my favorite of the game.
It was an awesome play !

Reaction Score
This, and everyone is a capable and willing passer

Reaction Score
This, and everyone is a capable and willing passer
And screener.

Spencer might be the most eager, willing, and capable screener we've ever had in a shooting guard. You can tell he relishes mixing it up with bigger guys and freeing up his teammates for big plays.

Reaction Score
And screener.

Spencer might be the most eager, willing, and capable screener we've ever had in a shooting guard. You can tell he relishes mixing it up with bigger guys and freeing up his teammates for big plays.
I’ve been shocked at times lately that he didn’t get an offensive foul, he will straight body check a dude so Karaban can get an open look

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom