Marcus Smart | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Marcus Smart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I got no problem with the push if he was called the N word. If fact I'd applaud him. Sometimes you don't just walk away
Smart should have been a little smarter and just gotten in the guy's face, but the 40+ white fat guy should grow up and get a clue...you don't say that, ever! If someone said N'word to UConn player in front of me I would take a flamethrower to his face.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Smart should have been a little smarter and just gotten in the guy's face, but the 40+ white fat guy should grow up and get a clue...you are the supposed grown up. If someone said that to a UConn player in front of me I would take a flamethrower to his face.

Let's not make it a "40+ white fat guy" thing here (or 50+ white fat guy LOL) because he paid and within boundaries he can say what he wants……..I didn't see Stauskas from Michigan go up to the Iowa student section looking to kill kids because they had a 1 minute chant of "Stauskas Sucks" going……doesn't matter if he's 40 or a student he can try to get in the head of an opponents player……..but he may have crossed the line and if he did he should be reprimanded…….I mean seriously who would say that to a kid? Not sure he should ever get his seats back if indeed there is proof of that coming out of his mouth…...

Reaction Score
If Marcus Smart was really called a by this fan then Smart will be be suspended for several games and I will applaud him for pushing that piece of and wish he knocked him out,
To the Boneyard word police:

The filtering software you're running appears to filter "" but not "n!igger." You may want to look into that, as I think most people think the latter is far worse than the former.

Reaction Score
Let's not make it a "40+ white fat guy" thing here (or 50+ white fat guy LOL) because he paid and within boundaries he can say what he wants….
I agree, he can't say that....Any-age fit or fat white people should never say that (if he did). Obviously people do but when they do I have no problem if they are called for it, but no not physically. But being 40-50 does matter, 18-20 year old brains factually aren't as developed....I know I did dumb things at that age I just shake my head about now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How was smart so close to this guy ? Racism in the crowd isn't really an accepted thing in the states, that's more of an Italian soccer crowd thing . couple that with the fact that marcus probably has never dealt with such outward disrespect in that moment , he's 19 ( and also sort of crazy already , noted this about the entire okstate team vs Iowa state).

Reaction Score
No, he can't. How about "Any-age fit or fat white people" should never say that (if he did). Obviously people do but when they do I have no problem if they are called for it, but no not physically. And being 40-50 does matter, factually 18-20 year old brains aren't as developed....I know I did dumb things at that age I just shake my head about now.

Sorry read my posts above I don't condone N at all……not at all……but anything else within the realm sure he can.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Hi-Low said:
Smart should have been a little smarter and just gotten in the guy's face, but the 40+ white fat guy should grow up and get a clue...you don't say that, ever! If someone said N'word to UConn player in front of me I would take a flamethrower to his face.

Sorry to use you as an example, Hi-Low, but this is what I'm talking about. How come Smart can't shove the guy, but it's totally cool for a fan to go after him?

UCHuskies08 said:
It doesn't. You can't assault someone for what they say. Period, end of sentence. That's the cost of being a grown-up.

He wouldn't be convicted of assault for what he did anywhere, ever. He shoved the guy. He didn't punch him repeatedly in the head.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Is everyone gonna be calling Marcus Smart a thug now. Not saying what he did was right but his back kind of far from that fan so that fan had to have said something to get a reaction like that, it was a push and not a punch thats a big difference.
How about if we just start calling him "Not-So", as in "Marcus Not-So Smart."

Would that be OK?

Reaction Score
Sorry to use you as an example, Hi-Low, but this is what I'm talking about. How come Smart can't shove the guy, but it's totally cool for a fan to go after him?

He wouldn't be convicted of assault for what he did anywhere, ever. He shoved the guy. He didn't punch him repeatedly in the head.
I was being a little Al Pacinoesque:cool:...but no I don't think it's a good idea for Smart or anyone to shove a fan. I totally understand why he did though in the heat of the moment, not a criminal act. I hope Smart is able to finish the season after a small suspension.

Reaction Score

For pretty obvious player safety reasons, there has to be a 100% ban on aggressive physical contact between players and fans. Strictly enforced, no exceptions. It's not rocket science why that's the case.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Smart needs to reassess his actions, Orr needs to reassess his life.

I am most interested in Texas Tech's reaction. Do they have the integrity to discipline a booster?

Smart might get a game or two. Orr should be banned from university events for the remainder of the year, at minimum.

The B12 should force TT to play it's next home game in an empty arena. This is standard in international soccer for incidents of hooliganism, which this clearly was.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Reminds me of when a fan called Hilton that as he was shooting free throws in West Virginia. He had the class to brush it off.

Reaction Score
Texas Tech has apparently issued a statement that they have never had a problem with teh fan in question; despite being aware of a video showing the fan flipping the bird at a Texas A and M player. They don't feel that "crossed a line" You stay classy Lubbock.

Reaction Score
Reminds me of when a fan called Hilton that as he was shooting free throws in West Virginia. He had the class to brush it off.
He was AT the free throw line . Anyway if people want smart to act like a pro they should start paying him like one. Remember , he's an amateur ...still learning ...

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
He was assaulted. Verbally.

If this happened anywhere else, nobody would have an issue with what Smart did. At all. But because he did it in a place with a lot of seats and two metal circles 94 feet apart, "THERES NO PLACE FOR THAT!!!"

Heck outta here.
Right. Because he was playing basketball he can't do that. Can you imagine a world where players charged in to the crowd to assault every over exuberant or offensive fan? That's an insane position.

Reaction Score
Don't they give a disclaimer before games "...comments by fans re: the race religion and sexual orientation of players is not tolerated and punishable by ejection?" I'm paraphrasing.

Reaction Score
He was assaulted. Verbally.

If this happened anywhere else, nobody would have an issue with what Smart did. At all. But because he did it in a place with a lot of seats and two metal circles 94 feet apart, "THERES NO PLACE FOR THAT!!!"

Heck outta here.
No kidding. A incented shove from an all American candidate that hurt nobody = national news. Same shove from Joe Blowcold at Minnesota State = not news. Let's move on and not let ESPNFSN dictate to us what is news and what matters.

Reaction Score
Right. Because he was playing basketball he can't do that. Can you imagine a world where players charged in to the crowd to assault every over exuberant or offensive fan? That's an insane position.

This is very different and not nearly Artestian in degree, intent or psychopathy.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
The fact that many, many former Big 12 players are coming out and saying they remember that guy for talking crazy is telling.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
My question is, how are people even justifying this? How can you make excuses or rectify his actions?

If you had a son playing high school basketball and some crazy fan called him a name (could be anything; racial, related to family matters, appearance, etc) would you pat him on the back after and say, "Good work son. The real world will love you." ? I know I wouldn't.

Reaction Score
He wouldn't be convicted of assault for what he did anywhere, ever. He shoved the guy. He didn't punch him repeatedly in the head.[/quote]

He could be charged with battery and almost definitely with assault as well, so what you're saying is just wrong.

These situations are ultimately tragic but are an interesting Rorschach test for most. As far as I'm concerned, if, and it's a big if at this point, the fan used a racial slur that is totally unacceptable and he should be punished accordingly by Texas Tech. However, that doesn't excuse what Smart did. Does it explain it and somewhat mitigate his actions? Sure. If this were an exchange between a racist and a black man randomly on the street, would I be ok with Smart's response? Absolutely, and I'd think the racist got off easy. However, Smart is a college basketball player. In the setting he was in, representing his school and his team, he can't act like he did. It's fundamentally wrong for a player to attack a fan regardless of the circumstances. When you're wearing the jersey, you have to walk away or, if you're going to act, you need to realize there will be severe consequences. Just my two cents

Reaction Score
I have horrible visions of TTU canonizing this guy. Big head, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom