March 15-17: Conference Tourneys | Page 2 | The Boneyard

March 15-17: Conference Tourneys

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
NC A&T falls to Stony Brook 59-51 in the CAA semis. :( My Aggies finish their season at 20-11.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
NC A&T falls to Stony Brook 59-51 in the CAA semis. :( My Aggies finish their season at 20-11.
No chance of a WNIT bid?

Stony Brook had a down year last year, by their standards, but really resurged this season.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
No chance of a WNIT bid?

Stony Brook had a down year last year, by their standards, but really resurged this season.

Well they finished tied for third with a record of 13-5. Assuming Stony Brook wins tomorrow, if they pick a CAA team I would think they would pick Monmouth that finished in 2nd with a 14-4 record.

I think this is Stony Brook's season season in the CAA, I do remember they had a great season a few years ago in the America East. Can't remember if they made the tournament or not. Think they might have gotten a few votes in the BY poll.

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think this is Stony Brook's season season in the CAA, I do remember they had a great season a few years ago in the America East. Can't remember if they made the tournament or not. Think they might have gotten a few votes in the BY poll.
Stony Brook in 2022 was barred by the America East from participating in the conference tournament and could not compete for the auto bid. They lost in the 1st round of the WNIT to VCU.

I believe that 2020 was the year they had a long win streak and were getting some votes in the polls. They were set to face Maine in the America East final on March 9, 2020, a game that was never played.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Stony Brook in 2022 was barred by the America East from participating in the conference tournament and could not compete for the auto bid. They lost in the 1st round of the WNIT to VCU.

I believe that 2020 was the year they had a long win streak and were getting some votes in the polls. They were set to face Maine in the America East final on March 9, 2020, a game that was never played.

I guess AE did to Stony Brook what the CAA did to James Madison after they made their intention known that they were leaving the league. You were right... SB was 26-3 in 2020

Reaction Score
Fairfield in a fight for their tourney life right now. Trailed Niagara by 11 at the half, still down seven after three quarters.

Reaction Score
Fairfield-Niagara headed to OT. Fairfield's Janelle Brown, the best player on the floor, has fouled out.

Reaction Score
Fairfield wins by 8 in OT. Never led until 1:50 left in the fourth. Niagara played incredibly hard. What a great season for Fairfield. Now they have to worry about hanging onto their excellent coach.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Fairfield wins by 8 in OT. Never led until 1:50 left in the fourth. Niagara played incredibly hard. What a great season for Fairfield. Now they have to worry about hanging onto their excellent coach.
Phew, cuz Charlie C said no way they were in the NCAAT if they lost.

1710626976983.jpeg

Reaction Score
The Stags are #27 in the coaches poll, so Mr. Creme is going to also have to explain how the coaches aren't paying attention, either.

The reality is that these polls skew a little toward rewarding great seasons vs. mediocre P5 schools... and if you want something that is trying to be ultra analytical - you just look at NET. But... NCAA Tournament usually shows that NET ain't all that accurate, as well.

Reaction Score
Princeton's closing in on the Ivy League tourney title. They look like they're head and shoulders above Columbia. Princeton looks like they could win at least a game in the NCAAT. Columbia, on the other hand...

Plebe

Reaction Score
The Stags are #27 in the coaches poll, so Mr. Creme is going to also have to explain how the coaches aren't paying attention, either.

The reality is that these polls skew a little toward rewarding great seasons vs. mediocre P5 schools... and if you want something that is trying to be ultra analytical - you just look at NET. But... NCAA Tournament usually shows that NET ain't all that accurate, as well.
But you think the NCAA tournament does prove the accuracy of the polls? Hardly.

The coaches are primarily concerned with coaching their teams, not analyzing dozens of resumes. Earning an at-large bid requires having quality wins. Fortunately for Fairfield, they rendered the point moot by winning the AQ bid.

In terms of seeding, hopefully Fairfield will get a 12 seed (and not a 13) so they can get a shot at a 5 seed on a neutral court.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Norfolk State wins the MEAC over Howard 51-46. NSU lead 48-46 with 3 seconds to go, but Howard missed a layup (probably fouled) that would have tied the game. Diamond Johnson (formerly of NC State, and Rutgers) led the team.

Not sure if there is any bad blood between the two teams, but the Howard players didn't even bother with the handshake line.

Reaction Score
Not a good look to get blown out on your home court while everyone's watching. Columbia was lucky to be in the game early with their three-point shooting. Princeton's defense and the way they ran their offense dictated just about everything that happened today.

Reaction Score
But you think the NCAA tournament does prove the accuracy of the polls? Hardly.

The coaches are primarily concerned with coaching their teams, not analyzing dozens of resumes. Earning an at-large bid requires having quality wins. Fortunately for Fairfield, they rendered the point moot by winning the AQ bid.

In terms of seeding, hopefully Fairfield will get a 12 seed (and not a 13) so they can get a shot at a 5 seed on a neutral court.
Yes - the NCAA selection committees have made it clear that NET is pretty much it for seeding and at large bids. Almost seems like we don't need them (the committees), if that's the focus.

Coaches follow basketball as close or closer than anyone. Suggesting those voting in the poll don't know what they are voting for is silly.

Reaction Score
Yes - the NCAA selection committees have made it clear that NET is pretty much it for seeding and at large bids.
No they have not.

They’ve been quite clear there are about a dozen factors they consider in choosing and seeding the field.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Coaches follow basketball as close or closer than anyone. Suggesting those voting in the poll don't know what they are voting for is silly.

It has been well documented in CFB and MCBB that the coaches poll is inferior. The coaches dont have time to watch the games, and often pass off the voting to an assistant or an AD.

Look at the voting panel for the WCBB poll. More than half of them are mid or low major coaches. Why is the coach of Presbyterian going to spend their time watching UConn, Stanford, and Ohio St?

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yes - the NCAA selection committees have made it clear that NET is pretty much it for seeding and at large bids. Almost seems like we don't need them (the committees), if that's the focus.
You seem to have been misinformed.

Last year Oregon was #19 in the NET and didn't get a bid. West Virginia was #60 and got a 10 seed. So just how is NET “the focus”?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
It has been well documented in CFB and MCBB that the coaches poll is inferior. The coaches dont have time to watch the games, and often pass off the voting to an assistant or an AD.

Look at the voting panel for the WCBB poll. More than half of them are mid or low major coaches. Why is the coach of Presbyterian going to spend their time watching UConn, Stanford, and Ohio St?

Dag. Presbyterian catching a stray. My Blue Hose :oops:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
GM y'all! Darn near lost my voice after yesterday's Fairfield/Niagra game, along with MBB WIsconsin/Purdue and UConn/Marquette games. Only two upsets leading into today's final conference tourney matchups with bids on the line:

1710680459996.jpeg

Imma rooting for Holy Cross (went to college down the street), Sacred Heart (worked down the street and now SHU owns my former company's corporate campus), and might as well complete it with Drake and SB so that they don't get stiffed out of the NCAAT.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom