Manhattan clam chowder | The Boneyard

Manhattan clam chowder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
have a big soup bowl looking thing on top of some trophy/cup. uconn vs rutgers ever year. college rivalaries get media and attention when its big time fanbases and/or good teams matched up. i'm not talking unc vs duke or miami vs nd. i'm talking rivals that don't get major hype that turn into big time games when both teams are relevant. look what happened in cincy for xavier vs cincy. its not a fball vs bball thing, its all college sports, fan bases and media involved. rutgers has been around for a while, we have not. but you can't deny that around the same time we upgraded they came back to life a bit. now we both have programs that are at least relevant and both are thinking postseason next year.

considering the scuffle that the acc has caused over the years, now is the time to start throwing elbows. when we invited the nbe teams last fall we did stuff in times square, so i guess nyc is something we now care about(finally). so recently with cuse going to the acc, they are trying to claim nyc but considering they aren't public and there a 5hr drive its silly. its time for uconn and rutgers to together put a effort in like no other, right now were stuck together. make the game a grab for nyc bragging right just to create buzz and media. both fanbases are on the verge of chocking each other, lets put it over the top. rutgers bball is on the rise and our games in the past have been good of recent years. together these 2 schools being great academic big publics can do this together and raise each others porfiles. we can get the media hyped and make ourselves more attractive to the big4 as a package deal. most of our sports match up perfectly for this. it just takes some togetherness from the 2 of us to create something and market it.

if u can create major buzz with 2 competitive teams the next couple years then the unicorn nyc market becomes more interesting to the big 4. especially the b10 i believe. it starts with some one getting creative and making nothing into something note worty in the papers, on sny, yes and espn news wise among other local media. i think these 2 schools can do this if we work together. now is the time to do so...

Reaction Score
I'll start.

Ruck Futgers.

Who's gonna put out the press release?

Reaction Score

Do we have any openings in our Sports Information Department?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I'll start.

Ruck Futgers.

Who's gonna put out the press release?

jackie moon. i dont care who it is, but this type of effort can't hurt. it can only lead to helping both of us.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
then find something else nycish to get some type of trophy going. clam chowder is not the point.

Reaction Score
I don't think this type of thing can be manufactured. It takes time and meaningful games.

Reaction Score
A long time ago UConn had a rivalry with URI with two different types of trophys.

Ramnapping Trophy
The trophy is topped with a football player standing on a football that is etched with a ram and a husky etched facing one another on a football field. The plaque on the base reads: "Connecticut State v. Rhode Island State Football Series Trophy in Memory of the famous ramnapping of 1934". The trophy’s name originate from a 1930’s era tradition where a few UConn students would to the URI campus and kidnap (Ramnap) the URI mascot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramnapping_Trophy
http://www.theuconnblog.com/2009/08/29/football-preview-weekish-rhode-island/
Suppository Trophy

Following a tradition begun by Dean Harold G. Hewitt and Dean Heber
Youngken, Jr. of the University of Rhode Island, Dean Louis A. Luzzi presents
the suppository trophy to Dean Karl A. Nieforth in recognition of
Connecticut Football’s loss to R.I. The back of the trophy reads, “The loser
gets it in the end.”
http://pharmacy.uconn.edu/wp-content/uploads/annual-report-2006-80-Years.pdf

But a rivalry between two top public schools...

"The Public Ivys"
dsc04017.jpg

or
"The Public Ivys of the East" (PIE)
DSC00838__29546_zoom.JPG

:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
We should really bring back our rivalry with UMass. Too bad URI is sliding into obscurity.

Would the UMass-UConn trophy be called the New England Clam Chowder Trophy?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
U valley game. im all for that rival game. but we need a rival like rutgers becuase they play fball at a high level like us. a mac team as your rival can be like wvu-marshall. its fun but not what we need. i'm all for a new england border war that leaves bc out tho.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Manhattan Clam Chowder Cup?? Dan, why are you missing the obvious choice? Just play for the Big Apple Trophy! You have a golden statue of an apple with a bite already taken out of it or something like that, and the winner hoists it every year and puts their school name on it every year. The winning team distributes apples to all the teammates, and they are seen shamelessly taking bites out of them in front of the camera.

Pretentious? Yes. But I am a Connecticuter Nutmegger, and that's how we roll. LET'S WIN THE BIG APPLE THIS YEAR....AGAIN!!

Reaction Score
I don't think this type of thing can be manufactured. It takes time and meaningful games.

I think last years' game was a good start. That game should have the fans blood boiling for a few seasons.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think last years' game was a good start. That game should have the fans blood boiling for a few seasons.

I agree about last year's game, but not just that. It seems like every time we play against them (with the exception of last year), it is a nail-biting, crazy ending with a last-second score to win or lose the game. That's the type of thing that is turning this into a rivalry. They crush our hearts when we were going to win one for Jazz, and we kick them in the nards when they were going to win the Big East. The Big Apple Trophy, baby!! ;)

Reaction Score
Nutmegger.

Connecticuter?
i'll defer to your expertise as i wasn't born in Ct and haven't lived there in 13 years. that being said even i know manhatten clam chowder is a sham

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
i'll defer to your expertise as i wasn't born in Ct and haven't lived there in 13 years. that being said even i know manhatten clam chowder is a sham

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
1. UConn v RU = Chowder Bowl

2. Connecticutian (ya know, like Lilliputian?)

Problems solved. Next... .

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This whole thread is a giant reminder that we have only one thing in common with NJ.

Ladies and Gentlemen, the "We're stuck here" Bowl.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The orphan bowl?
000_4257.jpg

CL82

Reaction Score
Actually both NJ and Connecticut have strong Revolutionary War history. One of the biggest battles in NJ was the Battle of Connecticut Farms so why not make it the Revolutionary War and have the Colonial Pride Trophy or something similar. I'd use a look alike to this guy as the trophy just to nudge our neighbors to the north.

minuteman.jpg

CL82

Reaction Score
Finally how about the "Wealthiest per capita State Trophy" that's always toss up between CT and NJ?
AD19.jpg

It could be engraved "Yeah, we're better than you"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member