Macy Ne. Girl's HS BB team | The Boneyard

Macy Ne. Girl's HS BB team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The team is from an indian reservation in Nebraska. I started going to their games late in the season. They're having a pretty good season and were 18-3 or something like that during the regular season. They've won their first 2 playoff games in their division so far. They have this 15 year old kid who I think plays better than a lot of college players I've watched. It surprised me to see how poised she is.

The team in general is very well coached and plays good team ball. These kids play on the playgrounds all summer like the inner city kids but it looks like the girls play as much as the boys around there.

I asked my cousin's daughter who has grandchildren playing on the team if any HS girl has ever played college ball. She didn't remember any who had. I'm trying to figure out why that is.

I've bought a camcorder and have recorded their last two games and am trying to upload them on You Tube as we speak. I will post the link if I've done it right (never did it before).

Reaction Score
I had trouble uploading the video I have but then decided to wait until their season is over because I don't want any other team that they play to have an unfair advantage by being able to scout them before they play each other. I'm also trying to figure out how to make DVDs out of the video I have. I'll try to get these DVDs to any college coaches I can so they can see for themselves how good the players are.

I think they play their next game on Monday.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Good luck to them playing and to you posting the video looking forward to it. It is always gratifying to hear of stories where the game of basketball actually betters the lives of someone, anyone really. Coaches are always looking for talent so if these kids can play it should be pretty easy to make a phone call.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That would be cool if some players could get college scholarships.

I give Shoni and her sister credit for supporting "res ball."

Reaction Score

Shoni and Jude came to this particular "Rez" last November for 2 days and worked with several age groups. I didn't know about it cause I was engrossed in hunting at the time. I've seen young girls in the playground playing ball for over ten years now but Shoni has influenced them, no doubt.

When I got back here last year there was a story in the Omaha newspaper about "indian" kids starting out their year in one of the boarding schools around the country. Native kids from around the country go to them for free and get room and board. Their parents send them there because of the problems on the reservations. A lot of kids skip school quite a bit on the reservations. So this basketball team having success is out of the norm. I doubt that any girl's BB team has ever went to the state tournament and if they happen to win the tournament then it will be a team for the ages.

But they have to win their next district game before they get to go to "state".

It's kind of a "Hoosiers"-like story.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
High School basketball is fun... especially if you don't expect everyone to be like UConn

Reaction Score
I have video'ed a lot in the past and have given DVD copies of games to parent's of players who I think might benefit from them. I would let the parents sent the DVD's to the college's. Whether coach's will watch them is a whole different story.
They get a lot of video's all the time. They probably need to have some interest to start with. A lot would also depend on who they kids were playing against because anyone might look good against weak competition.

Reaction Score

This team doesn't play anything remotely resembling so-called "Rez Ball" (thankfully).

They're well coached and play a style similar to UCONN (on a much lower level of course). They share the ball and pass around the perimeter until the open man gets the ball. They don't force anything (but at the same time they're sometimes aggressive and drive to the basket). They also are capable of running a full court press and get a lot of turnovers.

Getting past this next team will be quite a task. The other team posts video of their games and I watched a little of one of them. They have a very tall center who may be around 6' 5" or so. The tallest girl on the Macy team is only around 5' 11". The girl on the other team doesn't look like she's vey good though and may be pretty young so they may be OK. They've only lost one game this season.

The game will be played on Friday night.

I'll have enough video to make a good DVD by then even if they don't win. I just now figured out how to convert the video from my camera into a DVD.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have video'ed a lot in the past and have given DVD copies of games to parent's of players who I think might benefit from them. I would let the parents sent the DVD's to the college's. Whether coach's will watch them is a whole different story.
They get a lot of video's all the time. They probably need to have some interest to start with. A lot would also depend on who they kids were playing against because anyone might look good against weak competition.

Yeah, I'll talk to the players and their parents before I submit anything for the kids. A lot of the kids are from single parent families and don't have the means to get DVDs to colleges etc. The reservation is pretty isolated from cities anyway.

This is uncharted territory and I'll be playing it by ear and welcome any advice.

Reaction Score
Sadly, the team's season ended Friday night. The other team had a center that was 6'3" (I think she was closer to 6'4") and she really took the Macy team out of their game. The starting center for the Macy team was only 5'9" but she played the post pretty good. For some reason they tried to go inside on the other team and fell behind. They seemed to lose confidence and missed a lot of their outside shots.

The Macy center is a senior and I think she can play college ball because she has proved that she can post up inside. She just needs to learn how to play forward and play facing the basket. A couple of the other Macy guards are seniors as well and were pretty good scorers and defenders.

The video I have from the two previous games showcase them very well and I'm going to get them to as many coaches as I can. Hopefully coaches will give a chance.

It was a blast going to the games and this was the first time the girl's team had ever gone this far. The big center from the other team will be back next year and I think the Macy girl's can upset them if they use a few different tactics. ;-)

Next season: STATE, BABY!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Sadly, the team's season ended Friday night. The other team had a center that was 6'3" (I think she was closer to 6'4") and she really took the Macy team out of their game. The starting center for the Macy team was only 5'9" but she played the post pretty good. For some reason they tried to go inside on the other team and fell behind. They seemed to lose confidence and missed a lot of their outside shots.

The Macy center is a senior and I think she can play college ball because she has proved that she can post up inside. She just needs to learn how to play forward and play facing the basket. A couple of the other Macy guards are seniors as well and were pretty good scorers and defenders.

The video I have from the two previous games showcase them very well and I'm going to get them to as many coaches as I can. Hopefully coaches will give a chance.

It was a blast going to the games and this was the first time the girl's team had ever gone this far. The big center from the other team will be back next year and I think the Macy girl's can upset them if they use a few different tactics. ;-)

The big girl from the other team name is Halle Plumbtree. She is rated a marginal DI prospect a couple of honorable mentions All-State for Nebraska over the last few years.

Reaction Score
The big girl from the other team name is Halle Plumbtree. She is rated a marginal DI prospect a couple of honorable mentions All-State for Nebraska over the last few years.
I read a story that some of the team had been playing together since the 4th grade so the Macy girls did pretty well considering that. They also had played for the state division championship last season but lost.

I'd rate the girl better than a "marginal D1 prospect". She did what she had to do to get her team the win. I'm not sure how many points she scored but it was most of her team's points in this game. She's only a junior and could get better before attends college.

Reaction Score
That team (Fullerton, Ne.) plays in the state tournament tomorrow morning at 9:00 AM CST. I'll post how they do in the tournament. I think they'll take it all. I'm going to give the video of their game against Macy to the coach at UNO. The girl is just what that team needs and I like to go to UNO games.

Reaction Score
Good luck to them playing and to you posting the video looking forward to it. It is always gratifying to hear of stories where the game of basketball actually betters the lives of someone, anyone really. Coaches are always looking for talent so if these kids can play it should be pretty easy to make a phone call.
It's hard to get one of the college coaches to come to their games because of the remote location. Add to that all of the kids playing closer to them that they can easily go to see.

Native American high school kids also have a bad rap as being prone to homesickness and not being dependable on staying the entire year at the college. I think these kids want to play ball so badly that homesickness would not be a problem.

I just hope some schools give them a chance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Whoa! The Fullerton team was beaten today! The team that beat them had a bunch of girls that were not as tall as Plumtree but looked pretty strong (hope they were all seniors).

Reaction Score
The Macy center is a senior and I think she can play college ball because she has proved that she can post up inside. She just needs to learn how to play forward and play facing the basket. A couple of the other Macy guards are seniors as well and were pretty good scorers and defender)

If this girl is the one that is 5' 9" then she will have a difficult time in college. She is even really small for a forward at D2 or D3. If you are 5' 9" you better have guard or wing skills. Her best shot would to play Jr College ball. I know of a player who is 5' 8" but out jumped Legit D! prospects who were 6'3"/4" and got rave reviews at the Nike tourn yet still didn't get a scholarship offer despite her exceptional post and under the basket skills. The fact remains that while she drives the lane really well she is just an average outside shooter. At that height you better be a guard. Oh she is going to top out of state JC program to farther develop her guard skills.

The posts a player faces in high school are nothing what they end up facing in college. I know of a player at a top D1 college who was a tweener at 6'1" who isn't seeing much playing time even though she dominated in college. She just doesn't have the outside skills or the quickness to compensate for her lack of height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom