LyoHUB---UConn and Perdue | The Boneyard

LyoHUB---UConn and Perdue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn and Perdue are heading up a consortium, LyoHUB, to improve freeze-drying technology to make food, pharmaceuticals and biotech products safer and more affordable.

Lyophilization, the process by which water is gently removed from materials to make them more stable and lengthen their shelf life, is a high-priority technology challenge, said Elizabeth Topp, head of Purdue’s Department of Industrial and Physical Pharmacy who co-leads the center with Alina Alexeenko, an associate professor of aeronautics and astronautics.

The leadership team, which in addition to Topp and Alexeenko includes Michael Pikal of the University of Connecticut and Steve Nail of Baxter International Inc., has already created LyoHUB, a website where consortium members can share best practices, new information and projects. LyoHUB also includes computational and process modeling tools to support research.

http://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/rele...drying-technology-through-rocket-science.html

https://pharmahub.org/groups/lyo/about

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So you're saying that UConn and the Big Ten are teaming up to make my Swanson Hungry Man dinners even more delicious? All right!

Go Big Ten! Go UConn! Go Roasted Carved White Meat Turkey with Homestyle Gravy and weird dessert!

Reaction Score
Oops, noticed typo. It should be Purdue University, not Perdue (the chicken company).

Reaction Score
Oops, noticed typo. It should be Purdue University, not Perdue (the chicken company).

Good catch. 3 things to know about the Big Ten (should it be useful down the road):

- Don't tug on Delany's cape
- Don't spell it "Perdue".
- Don't use NU for Nebraska or NW for Northwestern on Northwestern's board. (or write NorthWestern).

Bonus:

It's [il-uh-noi] NOT -noiz]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bonus:

It's [il-uh-noi] NOT -noiz]
I am pretty sure the whole of CT knows that one since the Midwest, etc, was formed by people from the east. There are towns all around the country named after CT towns.

Reaction Score
I think any time UConn and a B1G university team up for an academic research initiative it's interesting.

It's important to make friends in the AAU club because that's how you gain entry. It's about who you know, nothing to do with academics.

Also, I lived off of Hungry Man dinner's my junior year at UConn so I can vouch for why they need to be made safer. I gained like 20 pounds.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I think any time UConn and a B1G university team up for an academic research initiative it's interesting.

It's important to make friends in the AAU club because that's how you gain entry. It's about who you know, nothing to do with academics.

Absolutley! All of these research related announcements that partner UConn up with Yale, Wisconsin and now Purdue can only be a good thing towards our ultimate goal of gaining an AAU invite. It really seems like we are making some serious strides in that direction.

Reaction Score
Absolutley! All of these research related announcements that partner UConn up with Yale, Wisconsin and now Purdue can only be a good thing towards our ultimate goal of gaining an AAU invite. It really seems like we are making some serious strides in that direction.
I agree but I still sense AAU is not in the cards. Even Cincy is ahead of UCONN, I think, when it comes to size and research dollars. Unless the B1G decides it wants UCONN for athletics and greases the skids for the AAU status thing.

Reaction Score
I agree but I still sense AAU is not in the cards. Even Cincy is ahead of UCONN, I think, when it comes to size and research dollars. Unless the B1G decides it wants UCONN for athletics and greases the skids for the AAU status thing.

Yeah but my understanding of the AAU - and if I am wrong please correct me - is that admission is gained by a membership vote and that there really are no metrics for admission.

So really it doesn't matter where UConn stacks up with other non-AAU members as far as size and research dollars (provided there not out in left field in WVU territory). If we have working relationships with member universities, we could potentially whip votes for admission.

So yeah, it would really involve an intense lobbying effort by B1G members and others.

Reaction Score
I believe that there are requirements for AAU admission, such as research dollars and number of professors with membership in the academies. However, if the B1G presidents need reasons to overcome lack of AAU, maybe these collaborations will help.

Reaction Score
I believe that there are requirements for AAU admission, such as research dollars and number of professors with membership in the academies. However, if the B1G presidents need reasons to overcome lack of AAU, maybe these collaborations will help.

I mean if they need reasons to overcome lack of AAU they should look at Nebraska. Sure they were AAU when admitted to the conference, but if AAU status is really a be-all, end-all, then Nebraska should be kicked out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom