Looks like NCS “Yormarked” us twice | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Looks like NCS “Yormarked” us twice

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This climate is too volatile. One thing is for sure. Whenever there is an opportunity some conference will find a few schools that they like more than us, even if the reasons are dumb.

The conferences are making decisions based on fear and not being thoughtful or strategic.

If you want to build out an attractive conference that has likeminded schools, rivalries and spectacle look at the SEC and their baby brother the Sun Belt.

Everyone else is just trying to gerrymander markets together to achieve marginal gains in media fees.

But those Big markets will tune into the big SEC games over all, and those schools often reside in nothingburger markets. Brands and tradition matter.

People watch the SEC a little more than other leagues because through systematic cheating, the SEC has been a little better than the other leagues for the last 10 years. We are seeing with NIL that SEC players don’t give a deuce about tradition, they just want to get paid. The era of SEC “dominance” is over.

Reaction Score
1...Football is higher priority in the South than anyplace else. In some areas of the country basketball is king.

2...There is more prep talent in the SEC region than anywhere else.

3....]The SEC puts more guys into the NFL...and more guys into the first round than any other conference.

And, from a southerner having lived amongst these SEC mongols, I can attest that football is a way of life in SEC country.

Reaction Score
1...Football is higher priority in the South than anyplace else. In some areas of the country basketball is king.

2...There is more prep talent in the SEC region than anywhere else.

3....]The SEC puts more guys into the NFL...and more guys into the first round than any other conference.

And, from a southerner having lived amongst these SEC mongols, I can attest that football is a way of life in SEC country.
And NASCAR...

Reaction Score
Interestingly...Vermont, Iowa, Maine, Indiana, Delaware...are all ranked ahead of Alabama in NASCAR popularity....

And Georgia ia further down the list...behind Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Ohio...

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Very different than the 80’s when the Allison clan and Bill Elliot were popular.

Reaction Score
Very different than the 80’s when the Allison clan and Bill Elliot were popular.

When Dale Earnhardt died...the #3 decals went up in back windows and the grieving began...NASCAR in some southern states has not recovered,

The epicenter of NASCAR fandom is the Carolinas...Although I remember the news about Fireball Roberts death...it was King Richard (Petty) that comes to my mind when you say NASCAR.

I have never watched a NASCAR event in person or on TV...I have watched SCCA races at Sebring.

KryHavok

Reaction Score
When Dale Earnhardt died...the #3 decals went up in back windows and the grieving began...NASCAR in some southern states has not recovered.
Earnhardt was my favorite. I started watching when he was still driving the yellow and blue Wrangler. I went to some NASCAR events after his passing, but I never recovered as a fan... watching live the slow drive of the ambulance from the Daytona speedway, my heart sunk as I realized my stock car hero was gone.

Reaction Score
Taking USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington gutted the PAC...it was all over, really when USC and UCLA were raided.
In between USC/UCLA and Oregon/Washington, you had the Big12 steal 4 others. Let's not blame B1G for all the mess.

Reaction Score
In between USC/UCLA and Oregon/Washington, you had the Big12 steal 4 others. Let's not blame B1G for all the mess.

Yes...but the Big Ten kicked the first dominos over to staer the chain

Reaction Score
When Dale Earnhardt died...the #3 decals went up in back windows and the grieving began...NASCAR in some southern states has not recovered,

The epicenter of NASCAR fandom is the Carolinas...Although I remember the news about Fireball Roberts death...it was King Richard (Petty) that comes to my mind when you say NASCAR.

I have never watched a NASCAR event in person or on TV...I have watched SCCA races at Sebring.
The number three decals adorned every other toolbox in our Kentucky Plant

Reaction Score
Actually only Colorado. Utah and the Arizona schools signed on with the Big 12 after Oregon and Washington committed to the Big 10. It’s unquestionable that the Big 10 was the primary driver in destroying their former Rose Bowl partner.

Reaction Score
Yes...but the Big Ten kicked the first dominos over to staer the chain
I blame Texas and Oklahoma because those two whales bagged by the SEC really started this mess. The ball was then in the B1G's court. Unless we consider rutgers and maryland the starting point. HAHAHA!!!

Reaction Score
Nebraska and Colorado were the first moves that cycle, back in 2010.

Though the modern realignment of major conferences raiding other major conferences, predating even the ACC's initial raid on the BE, was the Big 8 destroying the SWC. Before that, the major realignment moves had been independents joining conferences (Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Penn State, FSU).

Last edited:

KryHavok

Reaction Score
Unless we consider rutgers and maryland the starting point. HAHAHA!!!
BC to the ACC was the impetus to conference alignment going fubar.

Reaction Score
Ultimately the real start was the alignment of the TV rights to conferences for distribution of the funding. That pushed Penn St., Miami and Florida St. (as well as the others who went to the Big East and other schools) into conferences. Had more schools gotten Notre Dame-esque deals we might be more fractured with Fox and ESPN playing a Dana White-esque role in matchmaking to fill their time-slots.

Even after that things settled until the ACC began it’s raids of the Big East… we’ve been on a 5/6 year cycle between realignments (aligned with TV rights deal’s expiration) ever since.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
BC to the ACC was the impetus to conference alignment going fubar.
Penn State to the Big Ten

KryHavok

Reaction Score
Penn State to the Big Ten
Though Penn State to the Big 10 kinda makes sense geographically and football tradition wise. Had they joined the Big East, who knows how things could have played out differently (do BC, SU, Pitt, VT, WV ever defect, likely no but Miami maybe), but ultimately the Penn State to the B10 move made helluva more sense than Maryland, Rutgers, and the Pacrats to the B10.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom