Looks like NCS “Yormarked” us twice | The Boneyard

Looks like NCS “Yormarked” us twice

Reaction Score
Beat us in FB
Voted yes to Yormark us in realignment.

Down here in Greensboro the local sports radio station (and it’s listeners) think ACC expansion was Really Stupid.

Radio host did comment that in ACC/ESPN contract that there is a clause that if ACC falls below 13 or 14 teams then ESPN can renegotiate the media contract.

Hmmmmm.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wonder how the head ESPN bean counter reviews the amount of money it could have taken to bid on the original PAC 12 contract versus what extra ESPN has to pay for 4 schools going to BIG 12 and 2 schools going to ACC, combined with losing Oregon and Washington FB. It must have been cheaper just to land original PAC 12 at $25 to $28 mio a school.

Crazy. I hope the knives come out real sharp at ESPN for this Yormark Up.

Reaction Score
I wonder how the head ESPN bean counter reviews the amount of money it could have taken to bid on the original PAC 12 contract versus what extra ESPN has to pay for 4 schools going to BIG 12 and 2 schools going to ACC, combined with losing Oregon and Washington FB. It must have been cheaper just to land original PAC 12 at $25 to $28 mio a school.

ESPN offered the PAC $30MM/per school. The PAC countered saying they wanted $50MM/per.

At that point ESPN took its checkbook and went shopping elsewhere

Reaction Score

ESPN offered the PAC10 30 million per school and they said they wanted 50.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
ESPN offered the PAC $30MM/per school. The PAC countered saying they wanted $50MM/per.

At that point ESPN took its checkbook and went shopping elsewhere
ESPN offered the PAC10 30 million per school and they said they wanted 50.

You keep misrepresenting what happened. Do you two work for ESPN's PR department?

Reaction Score
You keep misrepresenting what happened. Do you two work for ESPN's PR department?

Kliavkoff brought the schools an ESPN offer of $30 million per school annually for all of their rights. The Pac-12’s analysis said the schools would be worth somewhere in the mid-$30-million range apiece, so they could go back to ESPN with a reasonable counter in the high $30-million-range and maybe the two sides would end up around $35 million.

When the Pac-12 CEO group met to discuss the offer, one of the league presidents had other ideas. The president worked with a professor on his campus to come up with their own estimate of what the 10 schools should get based on their market value: $50 million.

“George and our media consultant were pretty clear there was some risk, but they said, ‘Nope, our numbers show we’re worth this, go ask for it,’” a source with direct knowledge of the negotiations not authorized to speak publicly about them told The Times. “... ESPN did not react very well to it.”

Reaction Score
Does anyone see this as over? With the ACC at 18, the SEC and Big 12 will absorb four ACC schools over the next 3-6 years to get to 18 each, GOR or no GOR.

UNC has sent a message that, along with FSU and Clemson, it is open to offers.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Kliavkoff brought the schools an ESPN offer of $30 million per school annually for all of their rights. The Pac-12’s analysis said the schools would be worth somewhere in the mid-$30-million range apiece, so they could go back to ESPN with a reasonable counter in the high $30-million-range and maybe the two sides would end up around $35 million.

When the Pac-12 CEO group met to discuss the offer, one of the league presidents had other ideas. The president worked with a professor on his campus to come up with their own estimate of what the 10 schools should get based on their market value: $50 million.

“George and our media consultant were pretty clear there was some risk, but they said, ‘Nope, our numbers show we’re worth this, go ask for it,’” a source with direct knowledge of the negotiations not authorized to speak publicly about them told The Times. “... ESPN did not react very well to it.”

That is not the part you misrepresent. You report this information as if the Pac 12 deserved what happened.

What actually happened after the Pac 12 went to market looking for a deal? ESPN let them flail for a while, then Apple showed up with a reasonable deal that had a lot of upside. And then ESPN and Fox went to work to tear the Pac 12 apart.

So rather than argue some kind of schadenfreude for the Pac 12, why not point out that ESPN is a predatory organization that has a long track record of damaging taxpayer funded universities that do not do what ESPN wants. Presenting this fact pattern any other way is just gaslighting.

Reaction Score
Yah, well PAC 12, with their Apple contract, could have come hat in hand to ESPN for a bid. It wasn’t like the whole world knew that the PAC 12 had nothing and ESPN could have claimed that pot cheap.

Instead they financed 6 to 8 teams which left. Oh “the horror”. Read irony to come.

Yormark ESPN. I only hope Apple/Amazon rescue UConn singaly or part of Big East. Apple/Amazon should offer UConn fb $20 mio a year and market the Yormark out of them as a national independent.

Prime exclusive: inside UConn FB with HCJM and Connecticut stars Mitchell and Rosa taking about their 8-4 record heading into a bowl game against Wisconsin.

Priceless.

Ps: UConn FB acknowledges Bridgewater Associates as a financial backer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That is not the part you misrepresent. You report this information as if the Pac 12 deserved what happened.

What actually happened after the Pac 12 went to market looking for a deal? ESPN let them flail for a while, then Apple showed up with a reasonable deal that had a lot of upside. And then ESPN and Fox went to work to tear the Pac 12 apart.

So rather than argue some kind of schadenfreude for the Pac 12, why not point out that ESPN is a predatory organization that has a long track record of damaging taxpayer funded universities that do not do what ESPN wants. Presenting this fact pattern any other way is just gaslighting.
I don't claim they deserved it, but asking for about 40 percent more than they were offered doesn't seem like it was good faith negotiating. Someone wanted the deal to fall apart, and fall apart it did.

If they were worth anywhere near 50 Apple's offer would not have been in the 20-25, range.

Reaction Score
Hmmm, so Pitt’s old negotiator was working with PAC 12?

Had a few adult beverages so I do hope it was Pitt?

Reaction Score
The Big 12 Presidents wanted $50 million...ESPN said, no thanks, we'll pass.

The fact that ESPN made an offer of $30 million seems ignored.

Reaction Score
PAC-12 had a Pitt president among its presidents. I am wondering if it is Oregon or Washington since both have reasons for the Pac-12 to fail.

Reaction Score
Yah, well PAC 12, with their Apple contract, could have come hat in hand to ESPN for a bid. It wasn’t like the whole world knew that the PAC 12 had nothing and ESPN could have claimed that pot cheap.

Instead they financed 6 to 8 teams which left. Oh “the horror”. Read irony to come.

Yormark ESPN. I only hope Apple/Amazon rescue UConn singaly or part of Big East. Apple/Amazon should offer UConn fb $20 mio a year and market the Yormark out of them as a national independent.

Prime exclusive: inside UConn FB with HCJM and Connecticut stars Mitchell and Rosa taking about their 8-4 record heading into a bowl game against Wisconsin.

Priceless.

This would be nice if be some miracle it worked out this way. I mean streaming networks could structure the deal based on who we schedule, and also how many people tune in to watch UConn football. They can track those easily with streaming. This will give UConn fans to demonstrate how much they really support UConn football.

UConn can also negotiate some tier 3 rights away from the Big East, and put them on the same streaming network for some additional content.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't claim they deserved it, but asking for about 40 percent more than they were offered doesn't seem like it was good faith negotiating. Someone wanted the deal to fall apart, and fall apart it did.

If they were worth anywhere near 50 Apple's offer would not have been in the 20-25, range.

They didn't get $50/school. We get it. That is not why ESPN destroyed the Pac 12.

UConn fans have been beaten down so many times in realignment that most of you identify more with the abuser than you do with other victims. A psychologist would have a field day with UConn's fan base.

Reaction Score
I’m sad that PAC 12 faded. It easily could have been avoided.

So Yormark all of college FB. Time for UConn and Bridgewater Associates to create a new paradigm (without you FSU).

Great r/r for one of the largest hedge funds

Reaction Score
I think it was the Big Ten and Fox that destroyed the PAC...taking USC and UCLA pushed the dominoes.

Reaction Score
I think it was the Big Ten and Fox that destroyed the PAC...taking USC and UCLA pushed the dominoes.
That hurt but UCLA has been on its a@SS for years. And USC is still looking in the mirror.

Reaction Score
Taking USC, UCLA, Oregon, and Washington gutted the PAC...it was all over, really when USC and UCLA were raided.

Reaction Score
They didn't get $50/school. We get it. That is not why ESPN destroyed the Pac 12.

UConn fans have been beaten down so many times in realignment that most of you identify more with the abuser than you do with other victims. A psychologist would have a field day with UConn's fan base.
A psychologist would leave the room if Waylon was the patient.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
Clemson and Free Shoes to the SEC. UVA and UNC to the BIG. Miami - IDK. Then the remaining ACC schools maybe take any from UConn, Rice, Tulane, Temple, WVU, ??? It’s all very murky.

Reaction Score
Does anyone see this as over? With the ACC at 18, the SEC and Big 12 will absorb four ACC schools over the next 3-6 years to get to 18 each, GOR or no GOR.

UNC has sent a message that, along with FSU and Clemson, it is open to offers.

This climate is too volatile. One thing is for sure. Whenever there is an opportunity some conference will find a few schools that they like more than us, even if the reasons are dumb.

The conferences are making decisions based on fear and not being thoughtful or strategic.

If you want to build out an attractive conference that has likeminded schools, rivalries and spectacle look at the SEC and their baby brother the Sun Belt.

Everyone else is just trying to gerrymander markets together to achieve marginal gains in media fees.

But those Big markets will tune into the big SEC games over all, and those schools often reside in nothingburger markets. Brands and tradition matter.

Reaction Score

Priceless.

Maybe when Apple bids for Big East, and the price gets to $7M per school, ESPN or FOX will decide to pay UConn the $30M it is owed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom