Looking back at UConn's 2014 season, and a look ahead to 2015. | The Boneyard

Looking back at UConn's 2014 season, and a look ahead to 2015.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If you're a UConn fan, you had to enjoy the ride from the first day of practice in October, to the buzzer of the championship game in April. What a wonderful way to end a season. Winning a national championship is always special, but doing so at the expense of your most bitter rival, makes it even sweeter.

Geno and his staff did an outstanding job of getting their team ready to play from a technical, mental and physical standpoint. They were moderately successful in incorporating the incoming freshmen in spite of one (Sadie Edwards) leaving the program. Come game time, the team was ready to play, and played well in all of the marquee games (Notre Dame, South Carolina and of course the tournament games) during the season.

The Huskies passed every test except one. That one loss to Stanford in November played a major role in helping define this year's team. No one knew it at the time, but that game served as the catalyst to help forge the mindset and resolve that would carry them through the rest of the season.

I attended the two games in California. Stanford and their fans were fired up and ready for the Huskies. Stanford played with more emotion and resolve than UConn, especially during the last 6 minutes. Lily Thompson was in a zone that night (25 pts). Everything she put up went in. The roar from the partisan crowd at times was deafening.

I thought the loss to Stanford at that time, was not a deathblow to the season. It was only 1 game, but it would serve as a wake-up call for the Huskies. Perfectly timed (at the beginning of the season), that game exposed some glaring weaknesses. After personnel changes were made to the starting line up, the Huskies ran the table all the way to the national championship.

With the arrival of the incoming freshman class (along with Natalie Butler), it will be interesting to see how quickly that team jells into a cohesive unit. Sources close to the program say that Butler looked very good in team practices during the year, and more than held her own when guarding Stewart.

If Butler starts (she's a year older now, more mature, and has had a year to learn what Geno and staff want and expect her to do, and could very easily average a double-double every game), this will free up Stewart to move all over the court on offense, which will make her hard to guard, and give her more opportunities to come off of screens and back door cuts to get wide open looks at the basket.

Butler starting would also add more height to UConn's already "tall" starting lineup, (Moriah Jefferson would be the only starter under 6') which would make matching up with them even more difficult for most of their opponents.

All eyes will be on UConn this year to see if Stewart and the Huskies can make her pronouncement made as an incoming freshman come true of wanting to win 4 national championships. She's over the hump. Three down, one to go. This last one may the hardest to get.

If they do win their 11th next year, Several records will be broken and set. No women's Division 1 college basketball team has ever won 4 NC's in a row. No player in WCBB (Div. 1) has ever won 4 NC's. Stewart, Tuck and Jefferson will set that new record. If UConn can win the next 2 NC's, Morgan Tuck will win a 5th NC. That will be a record that can NEVER be broken, only tied. She'll become the answer to a trivia question.

A new Mount Rushmore will have to be carved out for those three. They should have their own little section on the wall in Gampel Pavilion as the most productive and successful class ever to play at UConn.

One thing is for sure, no one is going to kiss UConn's rings. UConn will get everybody's best game next year. Every game on UConn's schedule next season will be the opponent's biggest game of the year. Whenever a 3 time national champion comes to your arena, a sellout is almost a certainty.

The 2015-2016 team is projected to be more talented, and deeper that this past year's team. During the ESPN national championship post game analysis segment, Kara Lawson said that UConn is in the middle of a championship run, the likes of which she's never seen before, and could not explain. She added the scary thing is, they're getting stronger and will be more formidable next year, and looks like the team to beat now, and for the foreseeable future. She said "there's UConn, a big gap, then there's everybody else".

We can only hope. Can you say F-O-U-R P-E-A-T ? Thank you UConn for a most enjoyable season, Go you Huskies.

Reaction Score
Carnac, your post is very concise in detailing the 2015 team. We lose both the most prolific 3 point shooter ever in the college game and one of the most imitating defensive players ever. These loses would really have a negative effect on any other team, but just to reinforce your comments pertaining to our up coming season. We replace KML with a 3 point shooter who broker her high school 3 point records and is 4 inches taller. We replace MS Stokes with a player who was the "Big East" freshman of the year and as you stressed in your thread has had a year to practice playing defense against MS Stewart and offense against MS Stokes. I would imagine that MS Nurse will show the usual improvement between freshman and sophomore years and our bench should be even stronger this coming year with the additions of MS Collier and MS Boykin. I for one disliked MS Lawson when she played for the woman in orange, but find her to be the "best" woman's analyst in the game. So I have to agree with both her and yourself, its going to be very hard to deny MS Stewart, MS Jefferson and MS Tuck their fourth National Championship. I for one can't wait for games to begin.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I could say F-O-U-R-P-E-A-T, but I'd rather just say, "four-peat"...

JS

Reaction Score
During the ESPN national championship post game analysis segment, Kara Lawson said that UConn is in the middle of a championship run, the likes of which she's never seen before, and could not explain.
Many here can explain it very well.

Best coaches, best (or even among the best) players spread over several classes = 'Peat City.

winning-streak-logo.png

2013 - 201?

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="

If Butler starts (she's a year older now, more mature, and has had a year to learn what Geno and staff want and expect her to do, and could very easily average a double-double every game), this will free up Stewart to move all over the court on offense, which will make her hard to guard, and give her more opportunities to come off of screens and back door cuts to get wide open looks at the basket.

Butler starting would also add more height to UConn's already "tall" starting lineup, (Moriah Jefferson would be the only starter under 6') which would make matching up with them even more difficult for most of their opponents.

".

We can only hope. Can you say F-O-U-R P-E-A-T ? Thank you UConn for a most enjoyable season, Go you Huskies.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you - I hope for a 4peat too. On another thread they took a poll on prediction for this upcoming year - I along with many others predicted undefeated and win each game by 10 or more.

With that said- I've read often about "freeing up Stewie." I don't get that comment. I don't get where it is coming from. We had just TWO games vs real big teams that I can see size would have been a problem last year. Maybe the 3rd vs Stanford. One was vs USC which she was awesome. So I don't get the "freeing up." She WAS FREE nearly every game once Tuck got her legs.

In addition, if Tuck was in along with either Stokes or Gabby, she would be free too.

The point is-- I want Stewie to play similar to how she played this year -- only I want to see her 3pt shooting improve quite a bit and be tougher around the basket. Regarding shooting - on that point she may take more 3's than long 2's because she is more confident and then maybe a few more games she can score close to 30 because she is so hot. But that isn't a norm. As a norm I want her to punish just as much on the inside as on the outside. Her size and length make her an obscene mismatch not just from taking outside jump shots. But she needs to work on her post game and get tougher too. It's not always good to let smaller players off the hook by taking 15-20 foot outside shots when you can take them down in the paint for a much better percentage shot. Stewie needs balance.

I'm with ya on Butler. I thinks she starts. But you know we can play a lineup for example Stewie, Tuck, MoJeff, then either "Gabby or Napheesa" along with KLS -- with KLS being the sg on offense and either Tuck or Stewie interchanging from possession to possession at wing offensively. And that lineup is 6'5, 6'3. 6'2 and either 6'0 or 5'10 along with MoJeff. That has very good size too.

This year going to be amazing fun. Some years the bench isn't much fun to watch. This year -- I'm looking forward to watching every one of them. For example I'm expecting a jump from CE. Whether she can breakthrough is another story. I like players that are efficient and that can shoot. And for example Gabby cant shoot but she is obscenely efficient. A super pleasure to watch. Why can't she be a Nina Davis and continue to get better shooting? So I'm so pumped to see her too. I can't wait!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
The incoming freshman class along with Natalie Butler are scorers. KML is gone and we bring in KLS a sharpshooter at 6'3. Natalie answers the question in the middle as so many teams are big in the middle. So we will have 5 scorers on the floor for the next couple of years. Morgan Tuck will be the leader for the next 2 years. She showed us her outside shot last season and it will be better this season.

Saniya I believe comes alive on offense this season. Its MoJeffs last season and Saniya will step up. Ek and Gabby have a year under their belt. Gabby was a pleasant surprise last season. Geno will have her even more ready this season. Ek is a shooter. Her poise and maturity this season will shine.

This season is the season preparing this team for Stewie and Mojeffs exit and for the following season. Tuck was a number 1 ranked HS player before her injury and KLS was number 1 last season. Collier from what fans say is the best all round player in the class. Add Boykin at 6'2 and UConn is loaded with talent and height. Defense is king at UConn and that's still the key for our new crop of players. The nucleus is still there for the freshman work with. There will be some growing pains as our underclassman make the adjustment however we still have the dominate starters who they will learn from.

There is no question this team should go undefeated this season and win another NC. There also is no question that their incoming class is strong and powerful. Once again its UConn by a lot and everybody else.

Reaction Score
hoophuskee, Breanna is not a punishing player. Yes, she has gotten stronger and is better able to withstand the punishment teams dish out to her. However, she is not and will never be a physical player. With Natalie at center, she will be setting picks like Stef did, freeing Breanna for open shots. Rebounding is also a strength of Natalie's, which will allow UConn to run even more fast breaks. Natalie will be the difference between this year and last year. Unlike Kiah, Natalie will shoot and Natalie will score. There will be no one player that other teams can play off and double team another player. Prepare for a dominating season by the Huskies.

Reaction Score
hoophuskee, Breanna is not a punishing player. Yes, she has gotten stronger and is better able to withstand the punishment teams dish out to her. However, she is not and will never be a physical player. With Natalie at center, she will be setting picks like Stef did, freeing Breanna for open shots. Rebounding is also a strength of Natalie's, which will allow UConn to run even more fast breaks. Natalie will be the difference between this year and last year. Unlike Kiah, Natalie will shoot and Natalie will score. There will be no one player that other teams can play off and double team another player. Prepare for a dominating season by the Huskies.

Chrissan we can agree to disagree.

1--- I don't believe you need to be a "punishing low post player" in order to be able to low post well and efficiently in the post.

2--- Stewie doesn't need picks/great picks. The offense sets a lot of picks though - so they are utilized in nearly every offensive set. I get that. So in a way the offense can be more efficient because of a great "picker." But our offense was already among the greatest offenses in the history of the sport. Stewie was "free enough" to become NPOY yet again. Stewie was free. She was a beast this past year - and was able to play anywhere she wanted. Inside or out.

3--- I don't know about more fastbreaks when Natalie is in the game. I suppose it depends on the competition and you're not going to get as fast of a trailer. Opposing teams that have a center and pf than can shoot - Butler has to defend that so she won't always be inside- and then it means she will be running a lane. Last year between Stewie and Tuck - they could motor up the floor extremely well as a pf or center. We might be but we might not. I tend to think with Butler we won't be as fast- but still we will look to push. Maybe with a better Nurse and a better Chong and a faster wing - maybe we will.

4--- Last year I don't think we had anyone you could play off unless Stokes or Gabby went away from the basket or teams just under desperation to not have Stewie and KML and Tuck crush them.

5-- I agree dominant season.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
[QUOTE="

I've read often about "freeing up Stewie." I don't get that comment. I don't get where it is coming from. We had just TWO games vs real big teams that I can see size would have been a problem last year.

The reason I said that is because: two years ago, we had a true center in 6'5" Dolson. Next year, we'll have a true center in 6'5" Natalie Butler. This past season, We DID NOTt have a true center. Geno's starting lineup consisted of 3 forwards and two guards. That meant that at times, Stewie found herself playing the 5 (certain plays called for her to be on the block). When Butler is in the game, Stewie's presence will not be required in that general area, ....ergo, she'll be free to roam. Plays will be called for Butler this upcoming season. She'll be a large inviting target for our girls to pass to. She won't need a teammate coming in her area bringing another defender with her.

Dare I remind you what a teammate recently said about Stewart:......."Stewie ain't no post". Tuck was used as a post most of the time, but like Stewart, she ain't no post either, but because of her versatility, and her ability to finish underneath, she spent a lot of time on the block. This is where the team needed her most, and she performed admirably. UConn needed a scoring presence down low, and Tuck provided that.

There may be a play or two in the coming season that calls for Stewart to be on the block because of her versatility (and because of who is guarding her, i.e. mismatch). But most of the time, she will (as they say in football) take what the defense gives her.....anywhere on the floor. As we all know, if UConn was running a play, and the defense broke down, and something opened up, our girls took advantage of it on the fly. It was unscripted, but they recognized the breakdown, and scored a basket.

If you remember, when Dolson came out to the top of the key, she brought her man with her, thereby opening up the lanes to the basket. When she did this and the wings were out wide, it looked like a 4 lane highway leading to the basket.....and we all know how Mo Jeff likes to drive the lane. In order for that to happen THIS year, Butler will have to prove that she can consistently nock down shots from there (like Dolson did) before defenses respect her enough to send her man out there to guard her. When Kiah Stokes did it, everyone knew she wasn't going to shoot from there, so no one guarded her. Her man laid back in the key.

It remains to be seen if Butler can put the ball on the floor and drive or not. If she can, that will make her even more dangerous, and give opponents one more thing to think about. This observation may not make sense to everyone, but that's what I was thinking when I made that statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom