Looking at NBA draft prognastications | The Boneyard

Looking at NBA draft prognastications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Number 1

Ryan Boatright is not listed on any draft site in any mock position anywhere.

The 2013 Mock draft consensus to 35(combo of draftexpress and nbadraft net) has 8 PGs taken and 14 taken to 60 making this the heaviest PG draft in the last 10 years.

Shabazz is slotted 37 for 2014 on NBA draft .net and not listed as a draft pick on drtaftexpress in any year. He is currently the 56 ranked junior.

The bottom line--Ryan Boatright will/should be coming back to school unless he wants to be playing in the Phillipines. Most people who go that route never make it to the nBA and the list on guys under 6-0 feet make it less so. Staying at Uconn improving and staying on National TV is the only logical choice.

Shabazz has more options but again I think his BEST option is to finish his 4th year and peak out next year with Uconn obviously a title contender. He will get a LOT of hype coming back and with our team intact---he should be able to parlay that into a first round draft pick.

D

Deleted member 3149

Lots of good points here. If both stay, they increase their chances at being first round picks for 2014. They have potential to be a top 3 backcourt tandem, and can use that to their advantage. The more these guys play well together, the more games we win, resulting in more exposure. And of course, the more exposure they get, the higher their stock will rise. Take Jeremy Lamb for example. Had a great freshman year, but was by no means a big time recruit. Without a national championship in 2011, Lamb would be our starting 2 or 3 right now. Exposure is huge, and unfortunately RB and SN are getting killed because of our postseason ban.

They come back, we're preseason top 15 (maybe top 10), and we make a tournament run. We'll have some CBS games, and we'll probably win our conference.

Having DeAndre in the spotlight will be huge as well, seeing as though he is one of our top NBA prospects. Ideally, we could have 3 draftees for 2014.

Reaction Score
I don't get the feeling Boatright is even thinking NBA right now. He knows he needs to improve. He's said so. I'm sure he's well aware the NBA is very difficult to make as a sub 6'0" guard. NBA scouts are looking more at Shabazz now because he's shown the ability to hit clutch, deep shots & run a team. Shabazz also keeps saying they're playing for next season, so we'll see. His foot injury isn't a positive right now either. Hopefully it's not an ongoing thing too.

Reaction Score
I don't get the feeling Boatright is even thinking NBA right now. He knows he needs to improve. He's said so. I'm sure he's well aware the NBA is very difficult to make as a sub 6'0" guard. NBA scouts are looking more at Shabazz now because he's shown the ability to hit clutch, deep shots & run a team. Shabazz also keeps saying they're playing for next season, so we'll see. His foot injury isn't a positive right now either. Hopefully it's not an ongoing thing too.

Who knows what Boatright is thinking? I was shocked to find out a bit after last year's draft that he had strongly considered entering.

Reaction Score
He just needs to get better. When Kemba was a sophomore, I remember this board echoing basically the same concerns about his game such as dribbling to far into the paint, has no midrange game, etc. The jump from year 2 to year 3 for a player is normally considered the biggest.

With that being said, I think his ceiling is higher than most of these players except CP3 that are 6 ft and under. (Scoured through the roster of each team to see who is LISTED at 6 ft or less)

Chris Paul
Kyle Lowry
Ty Lawson
J.J. Barea
Nate Robinson
Isaiah Thomas
John Lucas
Sebastian Telfair
DJ Augustin
Will Bynum
Aaron Brooks
Jameer Nelson
Ishmael Smith
Patty Mills
Darren Collison

Reaction Score
Lots of good points here. If both stay, they increase their chances at being first round picks for 2014. They have potential to be a top 3 backcourt tandem, and can use that to their advantage. The more these guys play well together, the more games we win, resulting in more exposure. And of course, the more exposure they get, the higher their stock will rise. Take Jeremy Lamb for example. Had a great freshman year, but was by no means a big time recruit. Without a national championship in 2011, Lamb would be our starting 2 or 3 right now. Exposure is huge, and unfortunately RB and SN are getting killed because of our postseason ban.

They come back, we're preseason top 15 (maybe top 10), and we make a tournament run. We'll have some CBS games, and we'll probably win our conference.

Having DeAndre in the spotlight will be huge as well, seeing as though he is one of our top NBA prospects. Ideally, we could have 3 draftees for 2014.
Ideally we have 1 draftee in 2014 and 2 in 2015

Reaction Score
Lots of good points here. If both stay, they increase their chances at being first round picks for 2014.

Neither one of them are going to be first round picks in 2014. That still has little bearing, I think, on what they decide. I'm amazed that some of you are ignoring the fact that Boatright was talked out of leaving after last year.

Shabazz is better than Boatright but is not going to merit a guaranteed deal, I don't think. He's going to have to make a roster. Although he's criminally underrated nationally.

Reaction Score
He just needs to get better. When Kemba was a sophomore, I remember this board echoing basically the same concerns about his game such as dribbling to far into the paint, has no midrange game, etc. The jump from year 2 to year 3 for a player is normally considered the biggest.

With that being said, I think his ceiling is higher than most of these players except CP3 that are 6 ft and under. (Scoured through the roster of each team to see who is LISTED at 6 ft or less)

Chris Paul
Kyle Lowry
Ty Lawson
J.J. Barea
Nate Robinson
Isaiah Thomas
John Lucas
Sebastian Telfair
DJ Augustin
Will Bynum
Aaron Brooks
Jameer Nelson