long, detailed article on Doug Wiggins.... | The Boneyard

long, detailed article on Doug Wiggins....

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 3149

this made me VERY happy. I've always had a soft spot for dougie. It's obvious he's matured. I wish him the best moving forward and hope some professional team gives him a chance he deserves.

Reaction Score
This is what I remember UConn being. A place where you are family. And family never gives up on you. Family might not call you, but when you call them, own up to your mistakes, family reaches out, brings you in and reminds you, your one of ours.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
wow. Great stuff. Really rooting for the kid. Loved his text to Calhoun, and JC's reply. Classy all the way around, and clearly heartfelt.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
"Doug, I was surprised but happy to hear from you. PLEASE give me a call. Your Coach."

Reason #2,023,043 why Jim Calhoun can hold a charity basketball game oversubscribed with former players while some coaches considered his peers couldn't fill an alumni game of beer pong.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Ready happy to hear Dougie has made changes and owned up to the past ( not that he owed that to any of us though).

He was a great talent and obviously being a local product had a lot of support initially. It's a shame his college career ended up the way it did but it certainly looks like he's made a positive change.

Reaction Score
Funny enough, I saw Doug Wiggins and Andre Dixon at a bowling alley together in the past year

Reaction Score
"Doug, I was surprised but happy to hear from you. PLEASE give me a call. Your Coach."

Reason #2,023,043 why Jim Calhoun can hold a charity basketball game oversubscribed with former players while some coaches considered his peers couldn't fill an alumni game of beer pong.

"Your Coach" says it all Fishy you are so right........that same guy that enraged some fans with his pulling (literally) of players like a yo-yo and his verbal breakdowns at mid-court is a just a tremendous person!

Best of luck to Doug Wiggins sounds like it could turn into a wonderful story. Also what I liked about the article is it brought to my attention that he was not ever really a bad person just took the wrong path for a time. I had never really been clear on the "break-in" at UMass and while it sad he was that hammered, it's not as bad as the original charge. Pulling for him as a Husky..........

Reaction Score
In late October, 2012, I had a conversation with Doug's mother. She was wearing a UMass sweatshirt.

Reaction Score
Great read. Says a lot about both Doug and Coach Calhoun. I think it would be nice to see Wiggins play in the charity game next year.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
""Coach Calhoun, this is Doug … Wiggins (the last person you're expecting to hear from)."

I think you could sub out "Wiggins" for "Wrenn" and it would be equally (if not more) true.

Thanks for the link.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Hopefully this article doesn't make it's way to Indianapolis, as Emmert may form an emergency task force to investigate to see if the text between Calhoun and Wiggins was an NCAA infraction that can be retro-actively enforced. We may lose all of our scholarships for the next 10 years if this gets out! :)

Reaction Score
used to love when that kid would check into a game, he was so fast out there, just a real blast to watch!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I hope Doug does well, but reading that article. I saw 2 things. One, how hard everyone's expectations were on him. Two, I'm not quite sure he has assumed all the responsibilities for his problems, particularly with alcohol.
On the other hand, that 7th grade teacher should be cloned! What a saint!

Reaction Score
I hope Doug does well, but reading that article. I saw 2 things. One, how hard everyone's expectations were on him. Two, I'm not quite sure he has assumed all the responsibilities for his problems, particularly with alcohol.
On the other hand, that 7th grade teacher should be cloned! What a saint!

caught the thing with alchohol too - from what I've seen with family members with the disease, a person has to 101% own up to the problem in order to conquer it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Same here. Besides family training, I'm a therapist. He might be the exception, but I heard a couple of other things in what he said made my antennae twitch. I hope he is OK but I wouldn't bet on it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom