Lobster Dinners in Connecticut and Rhode Island. | The Boneyard

Lobster Dinners in Connecticut and Rhode Island.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I rented a cottage in Groton Long Point for the month of September and I am looking for a place to get a great lobster dinner. I am originally from Connecticut and my wife used to work at Abbott's so we will go there for sure. But I am wondering if there are other place nearby that we should consider.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
One of my best friend's family has had a place in GLP for as long as I've been alive, and since we've visited them there from then until now it has always been Abbott's for lobster dinner if we are eating out.

That said, you can obviously do far better buying them from a market (or right from the docks) and cooking yourself. The prices have been ridiculously good for at least the past few summers as there has been a great supply. For some reason the restaurant prices have not come down, but you can do much better just buying and cooking on your own.

Reaction Score
captin scotts lobster dock in new london is pretty good

Reaction Score
One of my best friend's family has had a place in GLP for as long as I've been alive, and since we've visited them there from then until now it has always been Abbott's for lobster dinner if we are eating out.

That said, you can obviously do far better buying them from a market (or right from the docks) and cooking yourself. The prices have been ridiculously good for at least the past few summers as there has been a great supply. For some reason the restaurant prices have not come down, but you can do much better just buying and cooking on your own.

Would love to do that. My mother used to make baked stuffed lobster. She used to stuff them with breadcrumbs, shrimp and scallops and add melted butter. Maybe I can talk my sisters into preparing them that way. As I recall, you could feel your arteries hardening as you ate them. But what a way to go!

Reaction Score

Totally agree. It's an unassuming seafood shack with fresh lobster priced reasonably. Also, can't go wrong with Abbott's and it's right there in Noank.

If you're looking to spend a little on a nice evening out, head up the road to Mystic. S&P Oyster Company, Go Fish, Azu, and Bravo Bravo are solid, just be sure to head down to Daniel Packer Inn for some after dinner drinks (if you're into dives).

Reaction Score
The local markets, BigY and a Shoprite in New London have been selling lobsters for 4.99-5.99/lb. this summer with courtesy card(easy to get) Hard shells to boot! Stop & Shop has been higher. You can check the local seafood shops too. Look to the local papers for sales. Local corn will be in full supply too! There is a farm in Groton called Whittles'.

Reaction Score
Two Little Fish has an amazing lobster roll...in Westerly, Rhode Island I believe

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
This may be a little far but I just had a twin stuffed lobster tail dinner with the Mrs. On Friday. We went to Goodfellas in New Haven. We ate on the roof top dining area. Nice classy place and the theme is set up so that they constantly / only play classic Mafia movies on the several wide screen TVs. Awesome place but for those that are budgeting it will cost you about the price of a utility bill for two people.

Reaction Score
Would love to do that. My mother used to make baked stuffed lobster. She used to stuff them with breadcrumbs, shrimp and scallops and add melted butter. Maybe I can talk my sisters into preparing them that way. As I recall, you could feel your arteries hardening as you ate them. But what a way to go!
Next time you make this, try switching out the breadcrumbs for crushed ritz crackers. Its an old school recipe my family has used for forever and you will not be disappointed regardless of whether youre stuffing shrimp or lobster with almost anything else.

Last edited:

Joobie

Bookie
Reaction Score
Captain Scott's is VERY good & without the hype of Abbott's. A bit hard to find, it is definitely worth your time. It's right next to the marina, you can watch the trains go by & eat the best lobster bisque on the PLANET!

Reaction Score
Abbott's is my #1. I also like the baked stuffed lobster from Bill's Seafood in Westbrook.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Next time you make this, try switching out the breadcrumbs for crushed ritz crackers. Its an old school recipe my family has used for forever and you will not be disappointed regardless of whether youre stuffing shrimp or lobster with almost anything else.

Crushed Ritz is killer on a lot of seafood. If you are going to do baked Haddock, crushed Ritz has to be the mainstay of the crust.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Agreed, and best of all, its borderline idiot proof.

I've been on here long enough to know that someone on this forum would manage to duckck it up.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think more people use Ritz than breadcrumbs at this point, even restaurants.

Speaking of Ritz, it's been great to see them branching out with Flipsides and Ritz Chips, both of which helped me reach the tipping point where I finally realized that I should try giving up gluten for a while. I could nail half a box/bag of either just while walking around the kitchen trying to figure out what [else] I was going to eat.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Flanders Fish Market is one of the best. It's a combination seafood market/restaurant.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Flanders Fish Market is one of the best. It's a combination seafood market/restaurant.
Good call. Forgot about them. Been there a few times and it's always been solid.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I think more people use Ritz than breadcrumbs at this point, even restaurants.

Speaking of Ritz, it's been great to see them branching out with Flipsides and Ritz Chips, both of which helped me reach the tipping point where I finally realized that I should try giving up gluten for a while. I could nail half a box/bag of either just while walking around the kitchen trying to figure out what [else] I was going to eat.

Just a tip, you don't have to give up gluten, just don't eat a whole box! Besides, unless you legit have Celiac's, there's really no real evidence for gluten sensitivity. The guy who came up with the original gluten sensitivity hypothesis just proved that it's not valid. LINK So have at it!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Just a tip, you don't have to give up gluten, just don't eat a whole box! Besides, unless you legit have Celiac's, there's really no real evidence for gluten sensitivity. The guy who came up with the original gluten sensitivity hypothesis just proved that it's not valid. LINK So have at it!
No doubt. I don't have Celiac and never suspected that I did, and I never thought it was necessarily the gluten per se; but cutting down on the products that contain it helps reduce a lot of cr@p that's not good for me generally, and it forces me to eat more whole foods/meals. Silly as it sounds, the problem I have with a lot of that stuff is that I never eat just a little of it, so I'm better off just avoiding it.

Reaction Score
8893 said:
No doubt. I don't have Celiac and never suspected that I did, and I never thought it was necessarily the gluten per se; but cutting down on the products that contain it helps reduce a lot of cr@p that's not good for me generally, and it forces me to eat more whole foods/meals. Silly as it sounds, the problem I have with a lot of that stuff is that I never eat just a little of it, so I'm better off just avoiding it.

Wheat is garbage. It's delicious but it doesn't do a body good. Going gluten free usually means that you are eating far less bad carbs and that is good for your weight, blood sugar and cholesterol. People with a variety of ailments find that removing wheat from the diet improves their condition. This is especially true of people with arthritis, chronic fatigue, diabetes, high cholesterol and even asthma.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Avoid the fads, avoid the nitwit faux-science and avoid overthinking any of this. Everyone knows what they should eat, what they shouldn't eat and how often they can eat what they shouldn't eat without becoming as big as a VW Beetle.

Forget the complicated nonsense - it is strictly a physics/math problem.

More calories in than calories out and you will gain weight. Good carbs, bad carbs, proteins, glycemic whatever...taking in more energy than you expend will cause you to gain weight. (Unless you have a tape worm or something.)

1) Just use common sense. The fads and the like exist to sell books.

2) Don't go out like a house on fire. If you start working out 90 minutes a day and cutting your calories in half, you will last three days and then end up eating one of your kids in a hunger-crazed feeding frenzy.

3) I can't remember what my third point was, but it was better than my second point. I was building to a crescendo and somehow lost the mental thread.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Avoid the fads, avoid the nitwit faux-science and avoid overthinking any of this. Everyone knows what they should eat, what they shouldn't eat and how often they can eat what they shouldn't eat without becoming as big as a VW Beetle.

Forget the complicated nonsense - it is strictly a physics/math problem.

More calories in than calories out and you will gain weight. Good carbs, bad carbs, proteins, glycemic whatever...taking in more energy than you expend will cause you to gain weight. (Unless you have a tape worm or something.)

1) Just use common sense. The fads and the like exist to sell books.

2) Don't go out like a house on fire. If you start working out 90 minutes a day and cutting your calories in half, you will last three days and then end up eating one of your kids in a hunger-crazed feeding frenzy.

3) I can't remember what my third point was, but it was better than my second point. I was building to a crescendo and somehow lost the mental thread.

#3- Excessive calorie restriction causes short term memory loss.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Avoid the fads, avoid the nitwit faux-science

Was it something about a particular lobster joint you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom