Liza Karlen? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Liza Karlen?

Reaction Score
Can Ayanna, fully healed, gain some shooting finesse? She was brutal around the basket when she last played. I'm all for Karlen joining the team. Let's face it, there are unknowns on the team and we don't know if/when all those injured will be tiptop once again.
I’ve already said that I think Karlen could be a good addition for all the reasons that folks have mentioned, and most of all for her maturity, which we’ll be short on at the beginning of the season. But I should say something in defense of Ayanna, whose position at the 4 Liza would naturally be competing for.

Ayanna is not a great scorer and may never be. She is a good defender and rebounder who could become a great one. She is very strong, one of the strongest bigs in D1. She is also quick and runs the floor very well, which suggests a role in the transition game could be developed this season, both defending in high hedges and getting out on the break. I think of her as somewhat like Kiah who was a solid member of the team and utterly reliable on defense and rebounding.

Liza is a good shooter, a smart defender and a capable rebounder. She is not nearly as quick or strong as Ayanna. But she doesn’t make mistakes or often find herself out of position for rebounds or defense. I’m confident she’d pick up Geno’s system quickly. Defending at the top of the key in high hedges is not something she did much of in Megan Duffy’s defense, so this might be a stretch for her.

Ayanna defended Czinano well two seasons ago, largely because she is at least as strong as Monica and has quick feet. I doubt Liza would have done nearly as well in such a matchup. What this tells me is that Liza’s minutes would be important in the first half of the season and would shrink in February and March if Ayanna and Caroline resume their previous roles.

This also tells me that Liza is not an essential addition though she could be a good one. She will rarely be the indispensable player, but she’ll play a steady role in the offense Paige runs. This could be quite enjoyable for her and the rest of the Huskies could enjoy playing with her very much. And a team bound together by affection trust and respect is a good thing.

Reaction Score
Can Ayanna, fully healed, gain some shooting finesse? She was brutal around the basket when she last played. I'm all for Karlen joining the team. Let's face it, there are unknowns on the team and we don't know if/when all those injured will be tiptop once again.
I wonder if Yanna has spent a lot of time during her rehab working on her shot? If she has, it is possible she may surprise us all. She could be almost unstoppable if she develops a reliable 8- foot shot, hook, & post moves w/layups. I’d be very surprised if she isn’t vastly better at scoring around the basket when she returns!

Reaction Score
While I agree that both Ines and Amari could see the writing on the wall, I am certain that Geno sat down with both players at the end of the season to confirm as much.

I’d be surprised if Geno didn’t sit with every player and let them know where they stand, what they need to work on and how to get more time

Reaction Score
I’d be surprised if Geno didn’t sit with every player and let them know where they stand, what they need to work on and how to get more time
I would be stunned to hear he didn't do exactly this. For the ones playing behind someone else, he must explain to them what he thinks is holding them back and how to overcome it. For the starters, he must explain what's keeping them on top, how to improve in other areas, and how to help the kids behind them to get better... and even challenge them for more minutes. This is the primary way to build a sense of mutual trust and community on the team.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think another big is very good insurance against injuries, illness, etc. the likes of which have been almost biblical for us for several years. We are flush at the 1/2/3 positions, or so it seems at present, so why not use the one scholarship available to shore up a potential weakness? Karlen or Dauda would be solid pick ups. I always hated the way Karlen played against us which means I really liked the way she played.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At this point it will come down to which players are interested. In all 3 games vs UConn this past season, Karlen scored in double figures with good rebounding numbers. She plays physical defense and she can knock down shots from the arc.

Beers, Iriafen and Weimer are gone from the portal. Dauda & Barker are still available. But we don’t know if there’s mutual interest. At the end of the day, the question is whether bringing in Karlen as a grad transfer makes UConn better or not?

I think Liza would clearly be a positive addition. She's a better offensive player than Ayanna and Ice at this point and at least as good a rebounder. She isn't the dominant center (Boston, Cardoso) that we need, but she would be our only experienced, accomplished front court player. Because she had just 1 year left, she does not directly affect 2025 recruiting.

One way to look at the portal--assume Paige and Azzi come back for 2024-25 only. It's incumbent on Geno to maximize the talent for next year while Paige and Azzi are still around to give us the best chance for a championship.

Reaction Score
I think Liza would clearly be a positive addition. She's a better offensive player than Ayanna and Ice at this point and at least as good a rebounder. She isn't the dominant center (Boston, Cardoso) that we need, but she would be our only experienced, accomplished front court player. Because she had just 1 year left, she does not directly affect 2025 recruiting.

One way to look at the portal--assume Paige and Azzi come back for 2024-25 only. It's incumbent on Geno to maximize the talent for next year while Paige and Azzi are still around to give us the best chance for a championship.
Agree 100%.. Certainly can’t hurt to add the security of another forward.. Plus it will add the benefit of having the inexperienced bigs practice against a proven player.. something I think they desperately need.. Liza benefits with the experience of being coached by Geno and building her resume for possibly the WNBA..

Reaction Score
Coaches let players know that they’re not in the plan for the upcoming season, effectively encouraging them to transfer. Geno is no different. After the season, he meets with each “returning” player to review their performance and set expectations for the upcoming season. I have no doubt that Geno met with Ines and Amari after the season ended to let them know they would have a better opportunity to play at another school.
No doubt coaches do that and players transfer. I would call that a mutual agreement, not a "get out I'm yanking your scholarship" situation. Does Geno encourage players to transfer? I have no clue, but I do know he works the phones to find a good landing spot for his players in good standing that choose to transfer.

Reaction Score
Scholarships are non-renewed frequently, and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a player tearfully going to the media to complain. Usually the player just transfers to another school and no more has heard of it. But it will happen a number of times in men’s basketball this year and many hundreds of times in football.
How many players were forced to transfer, or out of the sport altogether, because their scholarships would not be renewed because they were not good enough to keep their roster spot? If this were to happen I would imagine it would quickly become a mutual situation because the well would be poisoned. No doubt there have been bad blood transfers, but that's a different story.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I'm not in favor of getting Liza. I know she is a really, really good player, but we already have really, really good players. We were looking for a "Big", and she is not a "Big". I don't want to push back the development of our current players and the players we have worked so hard to recruit. Beers was one thing, and she would have been invaluable, but as far as smaller forwards, we don't need them. We can't keep thinking about the last few years, so we must be optimistic. Bringing in Liza would cause uneasiness among the new kids and may push them to the portal. We have to avoid that, so as far as I'm concerned, we should go with what we have. Period.

Reaction Score
How many players were forced to transfer, or out of the sport altogether, because their scholarships would not be renewed because they were not good enough to keep their roster spot? If this were to happen I would imagine it would quickly become a mutual situation because the well would be poisoned. No doubt there have been bad blood transfers, but that's a different story.

It is not uncommon for a players scholarship to be non-renewed, either because they are simply not good enough or because the coach wants to go in a different direction. It is usually not publicized, but sometimes is. It most commonly happens in football, where there have been many thousands of non-renewed scholarships. Not that uncommon in men’s basketball either.

While it is possible the well might be poisoned, it is a cutthroat “win now” situation we live in when it comes to college sports. If a coach can upgrade his/her roster, many coaches won’t hesitate to non-renew a scholarship. Their job may be dependent on getting the roster upgraded. Usually, it is not publicized because the player losing the scholarship will be trying to find a spot to transfer to and it doesn’t help their cause if all of the other coaches know they were deemed to be not good enough for a roster spot. Also players realize the college sports universe has turned into a business and they are not surprised, in many cases, when there is a non-renewal of their scholarship.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have a feeling that Karlen will end up at Notre Dame.............then again, I've been wrong before.........plenty.........:rolleyes:
I’ve had this same thought. Liza would fit in at ND well enough, and Niele would know how to make good use of her. But she would only be a rotation player behind Maddie Westbeld who will probably play 30+ mins. Liza would get 10-15 mins at most. This is also what her situation at UConn would be, initially sharing time with Ice and maybe Sarah. She might get more minutes initially, but they’d likely shrink as Aubrey Ayanna and Caroline return.

I imagine she is aware that she’s unlikely to start at any top-20 team. Marquette was the sweet spot for her prior to Duffy’s departure. I wonder if Va Tech has any attraction for her.

Transferring to another catholic school might make ND more appealing. But ND or UConn may represent her best chance to play for an NC contender and build her portfolio for the draft, if either one matters to her.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It is not uncommon for a players scholarship to be non-renewed, either because they are simply not good enough or because the coach wants to go in a different direction. It is usually not publicized, but sometimes is. It most commonly happens in football, where there have been many thousands of non-renewed scholarships. Not that uncommon in men’s basketball either.

While it is possible the well might be poisoned, it is a cutthroat “win now” situation we live in when it comes to college sports. If a coach can upgrade his/her roster, many coaches won’t hesitate to non-renew a scholarship. Their job may be dependent on getting the roster upgraded. Usually, it is not publicized because the player losing the scholarship will be trying to find a spot to transfer to and it doesn’t help their cause if all of the other coaches know they were deemed to be not good enough for a roster spot. Also players realize the college sports universe has turned into a business and they are not surprised, in many cases, when there is a non-renewal of their scholarship.
In UConn’s case had Ines and Amari not transferred out, there would have been “0” available scholarships for Kaitlyn Chen and a potential BIG as roster additions, making it entirely likely that both players were advised to look at opportunities to transfer elsewhere.

Reaction Score
As the saying goes, It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Liza has that fierceness in her mental/psychological attitude. She may be 6'2" on paper but mentally she is 6'9" with a heart of a lioness!

Reaction Score
He does this with every player at the end of the UConn season. Scholarships are renewed yearly. There is no given. More players leave than come onboard. Many know their fait as the season progresses.

As for the last remaining opening does he want a player that is one and done. If that’s the case there are some in the portal. This would be a need just for a body to fill in case of foul trouble. Having a senior would not hamper the 2025 recruiting of players.

There are two openings after next year as Griffen and Chen leaves. Paige could be a third. But she has a Covid year left. Azzi and Caroline have to decide should they stay or should they go. I mentioned before with a loaded Class of 2026 we could get five players.

Would love to see a couple commit soon instead of waiting until their senior year.

Reaction Score
I’ve already said that I think Karlen could be a good addition for all the reasons that folks have mentioned, and most of all for her maturity, which we’ll be short on at the beginning of the season. But I should say something in defense of Ayanna, whose position at the 4 Liza would naturally be competing for.

Ayanna is not a great scorer and may never be. She is a good defender and rebounder who could become a great one. She is very strong, one of the strongest bigs in D1. She is also quick and runs the floor very well, which suggests a role in the transition game could be developed this season, both defending in high hedges and getting out on the break. I think of her as somewhat like Kiah who was a solid member of the team and utterly reliable on defense and rebounding.

Liza is a good shooter, a smart defender and a capable rebounder. She is not nearly as quick or strong as Ayanna. But she doesn’t make mistakes or often find herself out of position for rebounds or defense. I’m confident she’d pick up Geno’s system quickly. Defending at the top of the key in high hedges is not something she did much of in Megan Duffy’s defense, so this might be a stretch for her.

Ayanna defended Czinano well two seasons ago, largely because she is at least as strong as Monica and has quick feet. I doubt Liza would have done nearly as well in such a matchup. What this tells me is that Liza’s minutes would be important in the first half of the season and would shrink in February and March if Ayanna and Caroline resume their previous roles.

This also tells me that Liza is not an essential addition though she could be a good one. She will rarely be the indispensable player, but she’ll play a steady role in the offense Paige runs. This could be quite enjoyable for her and the rest of the Huskies could enjoy playing with her very much. And a team bound together by affection trust and respect is a good thing.
Would see defense as one of the main reasons Geno may want to sign Karlen. Ayanna had a tendency to foul, a big issue if you were needed in a close game. I predict Patterson will become a strong defender but will likely need a year to get her speed and footwork back, similar to Ice this past year. Karlen would provide someone with a high IQ on offense and the ability solidify the defense at multiple positions when needed.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
She's about 90% likely headed to Notre Dame. You'll get to see her play more than 10 mpg if one of their main players gets injured.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She's about 90% likely headed to Notre Dame. You'll get to see her play more than 10 mpg if one of their main players gets injured.
Just like with UConn, ND presents a number of options for Karlen. Marshall is gone. That leaves 5th year seniors Westbeld & Watson along with talented freshman Koval to man the 4/5 spots in the lineup. Westbeld is a lock, Watson was inconsistent this past season for the Irish and Koval is a freshman.

I could easily see Niele Ivey starting Hidalgo, Miles & Citron at G/W with Brandford, etc. off the bench. At F/C I like Westbeld & Karlen as starters with Watson off the bench while Koval learns the ropes.

Not saying that’s what will happen or even if ND gets Karlen. But I do think it’s a realistic scenario if Karlen ends up in South Bend. In any event we need our resident ND The expert to weigh in here. Dillon77, what’s your take?

Reaction Score
We know ND is in the mix about 90% how?

Reaction Score
An article in the Hartford Courant listed three players still in the portal that the Huskies might be interested in. One was Liza Karlen. I think that Geno would be reluctant to take a player from another Big East team. He has a long history, and respect, for the Big East conference and it's players and fellow coaches. Which is why I feel that he might not make an offer to Liza. I'm curious to hear what other Boneyarders think.
I see Geno only having a problem taking a player if the coach was Doug Bruno.

WBBTakeover

Please trade Kierstan Bell!
Reaction Score
We know ND is in the mix about 90% how?
Her recent social media activity (follows and followers) are trending that way. She's being followed by some of their big guns (e.g. Olivia Miles, Maddy Westbeld) and is following people (staffers, non-recruiting assistant coaches) that you usually wouldn't follow unless you're interested in landing at a program.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom