Liza Karlen? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Liza Karlen?

Reaction Score
Yes but, her coming to UConn would hinder the young UConn players from gaining the experience they need without waiting another season.
Yes, if she is given starting or primary rotation minutes, that would be true. Geno would have to explain to her that there is no guarantee she'd get such minutes, and she'd have to accept this possible outcome of transferring to Storrs. The same is true for Kaitlyn.

Geno always has to balance the needs of the team in one season with the needs of the program in the following few years. This can mean prioritizing the seniors or the underclassmen depending on the situation. And even if he prioritizes an upperclassman, he will expect the youngsters to compete just as fiercely with them for playing time. This competition in itself is good for the team and the program.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Yes but, her coming to UConn would hinder the young UConn players from gaining the experience they need without waiting another season.
Yeah, not wanting an available All Big East First Team award winner would be silly.
I repeat, if UConn has offered Liza and she hasn't accepted before now, IMO, she will not be a Huskie.

Reaction Score
Liza Karlan is a grad transfer with a covid year, which is significantly different from the sort of transfer that could be considered poaching - she's fulfilled a 4 year commitment to Marquette.

Reaction Score
I think that the real reason Geno doesn't take transfers from other Big East teams is because the players he has on hand already are far better than any he could bring in.

Reaction Score
I believe that the OP was exactly correct in that Auriemma is friends with and has tremendous respect for the other coaches within the Big East. He talks up their programs, how talented they are, how the conference is stacked with good teams, etc. He has also spoken out about the transfer portal, particularly the star players of his competitor Big East teams, leaving those programs. Geno doesn't like the transfer portal, particularly the "unlimited free agency potential for every single player, every single year". He has mentioned that if a player commits to a program, that he would like to see that player honor that commitment for four-years, with the exception being a fifth year (typically a redshirt year of eligibility).

The Big East had two really quality players enter the portal this year, basically the MVP's of their teams, both were seniors with the COVID year availability; Liza Karlen from Marquette and Emma Ronsiek from Creighton. I believe that Auriemma would have picked up the phone and called Jim Flanery if UConn's desires were to connect with Ronsiek. We will never know, she signed with Colorado State about two weeks ago. I honestly think Auriemma would have done the same and called Megan Duffy directly related to Karlen; simply picked up the phone and had that conversation. Almost certainly he would have done so with Doug Bruno from DePaul if there were one of his players out there, as those two are best friends.

So related to Liza and the respect that Auriemma has towards his fellow Big East coaches, Megan Duffy in particular at Marquette as that is the team Karlen is departing. As others have previously noted within this thread, Duffy left the Marquette program about two weeks ago herself! I don't blame her for moving up, taking the job over at Virginia Tech was a huge opportunity. But what are we talking about here? The need for a rival program to pass on a player if they are within the same conference out of respect for that rival program, even after the coaching staff had ditched the program? FWIW, Liza was in the portal even prior to Duffy accepting the Va. Tech job.

Marquette went on to replace Duffy with Cara Consuegra as their new head coach. Okay, who is Cara Consuegra? Well, she was an Assistant Coach there within the Marquette program. BUT that was several years ago; you see, Consuegra had also left Marquette for greener pastures! She had no loyalty herself, and now she has left that other team to return back to Marquette! As with Duffy, I do not blame Consuegra for taking a better job. But from a 'can't sign any players who've entered the portal, due to an unwritten 'loyalty' contract to the conference'?

There is no Loyalty in this transfer portal thing. Let's face it, there is very little loyalty in collegiate athletics anymore. Other than the fan base of a school, who will stick with their team through thick and thin, decade after decade, nobody within a program really has any unwavering loyalty!
Missed Lucy Olsen of Villanova (now to Iowa).

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Are you of the opinion that UConn would be best off if they simply did not fill the available roster spot at all?
Yes, if they don't fill with a true, talented post player.

Reaction Score
Technically, since all scholarships are year-to-year, the coach can non-renew a player's scholarship even if she doesn't enter the portal. So, you are correct that the coach doesn't "have to" take her back, but then he actually never did have to take her back.

It's true that in women's basketball, it's rare for coaches to non-renew a player's scholarship if she wants to return, but usually teams aren't maxed out for scholarship slots, so letting a player return and sit at the end of the bench costs almost nothing. But when scholarship slots are scarce, I can imagine coaches having some conversations with players at the end of the season where they deliver the message that "you didn't get many minutes this year, and I don't think you're going to get any more minutes next year given who we have coming in, so it might be in your best interest to transfer to another school where you can earn more minutes." And I think most players would get that message and enter the portal.

But @Sifaka's statement that "Ms. Karlen has, by entering the portal, ceased her affiliation with Marquette" is not correct. She didn't burn any bridges, unless it was with the new coach at Marquette. I wouldn't be totally surprised if she ends up returning to Marquette if she likes the new coach and the coach likes her.
If a player's scholarship is withdrawn without cause what a great public relations situation it would be for a tearful, young player to go on TV and accuse the coach and the school of reneging on their commitments and how it has grossly harmed her, etc. etc. I imagine, if nothing else, it would wreck recruiting at such a school. Who in their right mind would go there? Remaining players would be saying "Hello Portal". Would Geno still be the GOAT if he said to Ines "Adios, we don't need you this year, don't let the door hit you on the way out"?

I can't recall any instance where a player was removed from a team without cause or mutual consent. Has this ever happened? Ugliness yes (on both sides), but unprovoked removal?

Reaction Score
Are you of the opinion that UConn would be best off if they simply did not fill the available roster spot at all?
Consider this, for 3 years running we've been discussing the impossible job Geno will have in spreading minutes to so many good players, and for 3 years running it hasn't been a problem. I say fill all the spots (if possible) and hope we actually have a minutes problem next year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If a player's scholarship is withdrawn without cause what a great public relations situation it would be for a tearful, young player to go on TV and accuse the coach and the school of reneging on their commitments and how it has grossly harmed her, etc. etc. I imagine, if nothing else, it would wreck recruiting at such a school. Who in their right mind would go there? Remaining players would be saying "Hello Portal". Would Geno still be the GOAT if he said to Ines "Adios, we don't need you this year, don't let the door hit you on the way out"?

I can't recall any instance where a player was removed from a team without cause or mutual consent. Has this ever happened? Ugliness yes (on both sides), but unprovoked removal?
Coaches let players know that they’re not in the plan for the upcoming season, effectively encouraging them to transfer. Geno is no different. After the season, he meets with each “returning” player to review their performance and set expectations for the upcoming season. I have no doubt that Geno met with Ines and Amari after the season ended to let them know they would have a better opportunity to play at another school.

Reaction Score
Coaches let players know that they’re not in the plan for the upcoming season, effectively encouraging them to transfer. Geno is no different. After the season, he meets with each “returning” player to review their performance and set expectations for the upcoming season. I have no doubt that Geno met with Ines and Amari after the season ended to let them know they would have a better opportunity to play at another school.
Geno did not have to talk to Ines and Amari after the season to tell them that they were not going to get much playing time next year. It was self-evident this year, that he had given up on both, based on how they were used this year. Only garbage time when the team was totally depleted by injuries.

Reaction Score
I don't know why we are comparing Karlen to Caroline, Morgan or Sarah. The more relevant comparison is to Ayanna and Ice. Karlen is a better rebounder than Ayanna, Ice, Caroline and probably Morgan. She is more a 4 than anything else, and our benefit in getting her is to upgrade the big backups behind probably Jana and Sarah.

Everybody on the roster is pretty talented but if you had to pick the biggest area of relative weakness, it is potentially having to use Ayanna and Ice for significant minutes. If that is your biggest weakness then granted the team is pretty good, but Karlen is proven at a much higher level than Ayanna and Ice have shown thus far. Those two would have to show a quantum leap, not just a little improvement to even get close to Karlen's level last year.

If we get Karlen at least we know we have one quality big backup when the season starts, and will get another who could play there in Aubrey later in the season. Right now we have two bigs who have unperformed expectations in their one season so far. I hope they do make a major leap, and they might, but for now they are the one part of the roster that could most easily be improved via the portal, but the options are going fast.
Can Ayanna, fully healed, gain some shooting finesse? She was brutal around the basket when she last played. I'm all for Karlen joining the team. Let's face it, there are unknowns on the team and we don't know if/when all those injured will be tiptop once again.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Thats true, but I think Amari should have left last year while she had 2 years remaining. It's hard breaking into a new system in one year with new teammates and coach. I'm glad Ines moved because I think she has an upside for any other team, and she deserves a chance to play meaningful minutes at this level. I could see the look on her face sometimes last year at the end of the game when everyone else is put in except for her. I don't like losing players to the portal, but I really support Ines and am really happy that she made the decision. It was the best move for her, and I wish her the best of luck at Gonzaga and will follow her progress next year as if she was still a Husky. (In my mind, she still is).

Reaction Score
She’s not really that big though? She’s shorter than AE was at 6’2. Is she really she big we need? I get being a veteran and all but I mean… she’s not the 6’4 big we want.
Her coming to UConn would allow the younger, less experienced players to mature and develop. I would love to have her be a Husky. It would be only for one year right? Win-Win!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno did not have to talk to Ines and Amari after the season to tell them that they were not going to get much playing time next year. It was self-evident this year, that he had given up on both, based on how they were used this year. Only garbage time when the team was totally depleted by injuries.
While I agree that both Ines and Amari could see the writing on the wall, I am certain that Geno sat down with both players at the end of the season to confirm as much.

Reaction Score
While I agree that both Ines and Amari could see the writing on the wall, I am certain that Geno sat down with both players at the end of the season to confirm as much.
Absolutely. Not doing that would be anti-everything Geno is about.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She’s not really that big though? She’s shorter than AE was at 6’2. Is she really she big we need? I get being a veteran and all but I mean… she’s not the 6’4 big we want.
At this point it will come down to which players are interested. In all 3 games vs UConn this past season, Karlen scored in double figures with good rebounding numbers. She plays physical defense and she can knock down shots from the arc.

Beers, Iriafen and Weimer are gone from the portal. Dauda & Barker are still available. But we don’t know if there’s mutual interest. At the end of the day, the question is whether bringing in Karlen as a grad transfer makes UConn better or not?

Reaction Score

Scholarships are non-renewed frequently, and I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a player tearfully going to the media to complain. Usually the player just transfers to another school and no more has heard of it. But it will happen a number of times in men’s basketball this year and many hundreds of times in football.

Reaction Score
Unless she can play as a "big" I don't think she will be offered. I am still hoping for an overseas pickup and I think (hope) it will happen. It might not be announced until after the olympics.

Reaction Score
This isn't the type of player you pick up at the risk of hurting the future of the program. The Portal is a dangerous game to play and once you start playing in the portal you must be ready to lose your players to the portal. So far UConn has lost players that really weren't major contributors but if you are always looking to upgrade then your players will start to do the same thing.

UConn has a whole roster of players that came out of HS as top 10-15 recruits. If that isn't good enough then they need to do a better job of developing their players

Reaction Score
At this point it will come down to which players are interested. In all 3 games vs UConn this past season, Karlen scored in double figures with good rebounding numbers. She plays physical defense and she can knock down shots from the arc.

Beers, Iriafen and Weimer are gone from the portal. Dauda & Barker are still available. But we don’t know if there’s mutual interest. At the end of the day, the question is whether bringing in Karlen as a grad transfer makes UConn better or not?
With one slot left, and so many unknowns about the return (and abilities) of the injured, it would seem only a grad transfer or possibly an international would be prudent.

Reaction Score
The stacked part of the schedule will be the first third, and then of course the NCAA Tournament. We are seven months away and the team already has injuries that will be sidelining players at the start of the season. Having half of your team out for the entire season is goobstoping and one would expect as very unusual, but then again we’ve experienced it three years running. Having one or two players get seriously injured is likely, it’s very unfortunate but that is basketball, every team in the league has one or two.

Then there are the week to week injuries; someone is not available due to jamming their thumb. A rolled ankle is common in this game, an elbow to the face, and certainly a tweaked knee. Then there are illnesses, a bout of COVID runs through the squad. Possible that someone has a personal thing, a bereavement period when they are off to a grandparents funeral.

My crystal ball is just not very good. Maybe none of that happens to UConn next season and/or it would only happen during the portion of the season that it is less impactful. However, …..

It seems that if it were a situation where Jana were unavailable, and Ayanna is currently unavailable, this team would be under sized and inexperienced at the post. Is there a backstop available that would sign with UConn?

Reaction Score
This isn't the type of player you pick up at the risk of hurting the future of the program. The Portal is a dangerous game to play and once you start playing in the portal you must be ready to lose your players to the portal. So far UConn has lost players that really weren't major contributors but if you are always looking to upgrade then your players will start to do the same thing.

UConn has a whole roster of players that came out of HS as top 10-15 recruits. If that isn't good enough then they need to do a better job of developing their players
The other two players who have been discussed are Juniors. Liza has just one season of availability. Which scenario is more likely to push others on the team into the portal?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Yeah, because experienced "bigs" in the portal or playing overseas are a dime a dozen.
If the coaching staff is looking for a player to supplement Jana, Ice and/or Ayanna, currently there are only about 3 known players available. And as the OP post pointed out, some writer stated that Liza was of some interest by UConn, so...6'2" may be the only option at this point...IF the coaching staff is looking.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom