Link for Live Stats - Brazil vs USA 9 PM EST | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Link for Live Stats - Brazil vs USA 9 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Moriah and Breanna score 47 of USA's 75 points. Their points were scored in the flow of the game. Best two players on the court. Team could have used Tiffany Mitchell in this game and more strength in the front court.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Anyone else think the Pan Am team would crush the WUG team?

Much better backcourt for the Pan Am team.

Reaction Score
Brutal schedule for Team USA going forward. No rest for the weary-games tomorrow and the next day. Stewie and Moriah have to be exhausted after being beaten up for practically the entire game and getting pretty much no rest. I expect Bluder to seriously limit their minutes tomorrow against what appeared to be a very weak Dominican team (vs Puerto Rico earlier). God knows, they both deserve it, and probably need it, after their super efforts tonight against the Brazilian brawlers.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I will give Brazil credit.... they did have the better uniforms and warm-up jackets.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Entertaining game. Jefferson and Stewart were their usual phenomenal selves, which Team USA really needed because a lot of the others struggled. I was pretty impressed with Harper, she's obviously not getting the ball enough at Kentucky..

Really bummed that Tiff Mitchell has a sprained ankle. Hopefully she can play eventually. Coates battled hard on both ends.

I think Coates and Mavunga will eventually end up coming up big in this tournament. They are both players that thrive in a physical playing style..

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Really fun game - but I agree that the USA team does not in this first game look very deep - the reserves for the most part really struggled - Harper is strong and physical which in that game was necessary, but her decision making was questionable on offense I think (and she doesn't seem to be getting the coaching at KY based on the few times I have watched them play.) I thought the USA bigs did quite well - they were being asked to guard strong, very experienced professionals with no help and they all got schooled including Stewart.

Thought it was a strange strategy from USA at the start of the second half to walk the ball up, having been playing faster for the first 20 minutes - and it cost them their lead - that and the strange offense they were playing - two high posts with no screens running off them - had no idea what they were doing!

This is not going to be an easy tournament for USA - college kids however good going up against senior national teams. Will not be surprised if USA does not win gold, but certainly am hoping for it.

Reaction Score
Entertaining game. Jefferson and Stewart were their usual phenomenal selves, which Team USA really needed because a lot of the others struggled. I was pretty impressed with Harper, she's obviously not getting the ball enough at Kentucky..

Really bummed that Tiff Mitchell has a sprained ankle. Hopefully she can play eventually. Coates battled hard on both ends.

I think Coates and Mavunga will eventually end up coming up big in this tournament. They are both players that thrive in a physical playing style..
Coates was strong. I missed early part of game. Did not see Mavunga in there. Some USA players were getting bumped and not finishing their offensive moves. I think if they did they would get the foul calls.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Neither Reimer nor Coates were particularly strong with the ball on offense. Reimer was more than a step slow. Coates did well on the boards but she should be able to score more than 2 points in 26 minutes. She was fouled on her only shot attempt of the game. No FGA in 26 minutes.

Reaction Score
Neither Reimer nor Coates were particularly strong with the ball on offense. Reimer was more than a step slow. Coates did well on the boards but she should be able to score more than 2 points in 26 minutes.
According to the live stats she didn't take a shot, that has to change, the other inside people besides Stewie need to produce.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That Reimer basket should not have counted.

USA trying to give it away at the end, looks like they are going to pull it out. Coach Bluder has the good sense to leave Stewie and Mo in for the majority of the game.
It was funny listening to the announcers on the replay because it was clear the ball wasn't off her hand when the backboard lit, but it was also very clear there was a Brazilian hand grabbing her arm as she shot. So the refs missed the foul and missed the shot clock - pretty much a wash.

Reaction Score
This tournament has five games in five days. The Canadian National Team has a rotation of 10 with a wealth of international experience, while the U.S. without Mitchell has a rotation of seven that includes only two seniors and lacks a backup point guard who can be trusted for even two minutes. If the U.S. wins the Gold under those circumstances, particularly playing in Canada, it will be a major upset. The U.S. coaches must find pine time for Stewie and Mariah in the next two games, or the team is in deep, deep trouble.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
they are 21 yr old kids, they have the energy to play a one game daily... the wont be doing much else throughout the day

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'd argue that Stewie and Moriah will be the 2 best players in WCBB this coming season.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Brazilian players and coaches, pbp announcers, analysts, and Boneyard posters all took note of Reimer's slowness, especially on defense. Geno noticed it before that November '14 game at Notre Dame ;) and Morgan made Taya look like she was wearing snowshoes. Deja Vu in the NC game. :D

Reaction Score
- Stewie and Moriah look frighteningly undernourished and in need of a few Happy Meals, but they are tough as nails, with the hearts of true warriors.

- The ages of the USA starters- 19, 20, 20, 21, 21.
- The ages of the five Brazilians who played most of the game- 23, 24,29, 30, 35. All of them had FIBA, Olympics, Pan Am, and Professional experience.

- A great victory against older, stronger, more experienced women who have played together in international tournaments at the highest levels for many years!!

- If the rest of the Games is played with this level of physicality with the refs not whistling much, Team USA may very well get worn down before it's all over. Can they add a late replacement for Tiffany Mitchell? THE SELECTION OF COYER, BRUNNER AND PLUM MAY COME BACK TO HAUNT THE TEAM.

CONGRATULATIONS, TEAM.

Kibitzer- Reimer's slowness was not surprising. What bothered me was that she didn't battle down low on either end and got pushed around all game. I thought she'd show more toughness and fight.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Taya Reimer is logging heavy minutes for a winning team and getting criticized by Internet pundits. Is it November already?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Taya Reimer is logging heavy minutes for a winning team and getting criticized by Internet pundits. Is it November already?
and it doesn't help that she plays for the Fighting Irish

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
and it doesn't help that she plays for the Fighting Irish

She gets it from Irish fans, too, though.

It's just funny to me how much people find fault with her. Yet she keeps starting for national teams and final four teams. Maybe she's the best "liability" ever.

Naturally I expect it here, of course, I just wanted to make that joke.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Forgotten in all these conversations is the fact that the Brazilian "Patty" (#7) was lighting up Team USA in the second half and single-handedly led Brazil to its brief 2-point lead. "Patty" was too quick for Stewie and gave her fits running her outside the arc, through all the ball screens/picks. It was a bad matchup. BUT... as soon as Bluder put Moriah on "Patty," it was game over. Moriah shut her down and she did not score another point!! Moriah was incredible, reprising her April 7th Jewel Loyd masterpiece.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She gets it from Irish fans, too, though.

It's just funny to me how much people find fault with her. Yet she keeps starting for national teams and final four teams. Maybe she's the best "liability" ever.

Naturally I expect it here, of course, I just wanted to make that joke.

Unlike what you'll read in December or April, now we actually want her to play better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom