Link for Live Stats - Brazil vs USA 9 PM EST | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Link for Live Stats - Brazil vs USA 9 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Neither Reimer nor Coates were particularly strong with the ball on offense. Reimer was more than a step slow. Coates did well on the boards but she should be able to score more than 2 points in 26 minutes. She was fouled on her only shot attempt of the game. No FGA in 26 minutes.

Late in the first half Reimer got a perfect pass underneath and what did she do: she put it on the floor, enabling a double team and never got the shoot off. So many bigs feel they have to bounce the ball to go up with it. Really surprised that Muffet hasn't beaten that out of her.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I thought Reimer had a lot of potential as a freshman. Similar body type to Dolson. But she seems to have gone the opposite way of Dolson...gotten slower and hasn't developed her footwork or outside shot at all. She doesn't have very good touch outside of 4-5 feet.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Late in the first half Reimer got a perfect pass underneath and what did she do: she put it on the floor, enabling a double team and never got the shoot off. So many bigs feel they have to bounce the ball to go up with it. Really surprised that Muffet hasn't beaten that out of her.

I thought Reimer stopped putting the ball on the deck towards the end of last year and was much more effective. Stephanie White would often harp on that during espn broadcasts. Players tend to resort to old habits when they're playing under duress and a little unsure of what to do. I thought Reimer and Coates were unsettled by how physical Brazil's posts were playing in the lane and seemed to lose some confidence.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I thought Reimer had a lot of potential as a freshman. Similar body type to Dolson. But she seems to have gone the opposite way of Dolson...gotten slower and hasn't developed her footwork or outside shot at all. She doesn't have very good touch outside of 4-5 feet.

In all seriousness, she improved quite a bit in the 2nd half of last season and shot very well from 10-15 ft (minus the NC game which y'all watched). E.g. against Louisville she was 8-8 from the field.

And she hasn't gotten slower. If you think she's slow, she's always been this slow.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I thought Reimer stopped putting the ball on the deck towards the end of last year and was much more effective. Stephanie White would often harp on that during espn broadcasts. Players tend to resort to old habits when they're playing under duress and a little unsure of what to do. I thought Reimer and Coates were unsettled by how physical Brazil's posts were playing in the lane and seemed to lose some confidence.

Absolutely in Reimer's case - she started catching down low and backing out a couple of steps. I suspect she'll step up next game. Hope so.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Absolutely in Reimer's case - she started catching down low and backing out a couple of steps. I suspect she'll step up next game. Hope so.

Coates and Reimer will play better tonight. The DR is not very big and not very good.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Moriah is making a case in this environment against National teams for strong consideration for the USA national team developmental role as PG in waiting. I was super impressed even if it was just the first game - she may be short, but her speed and hops make her strong on both ends of the court.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Reimer made a few baskets early on... was she a dominant force noooo but she did better than Coates from what I just watched (without looking at the stats)

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I will sleep well until this tournament is over and Stewie & MoJeff are back in Storrs.... healthy and chillin'..... :rolleyes:
That is my biggest impression. It's nice if the USA wins, and I'm happy it's UConn players that are leading the way. But, this is the second time I've seen Stewie on the floor after an ankle turn. It makes me wonder if it's something she needs to rest. Or if she needs physical therapy and/or conditioning to keep the problem from recurring. Did anyone notice if it was the same ankle? I'll be glad whatever the outcome as long as Mojet and Stewie get back to Connecticut with no injuries.

Also, I don't understand Geno's desire to get US basketball closer to international play. That was worse than any Rutgers game that I remember. An offensive move is to wrap your arm around the defender to get around them? Or knock down your defender like what happened to Stewie under that basket to get an open layup?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Also, I don't understand Geno's desire to get US basketball closer to international play. That was worse than any Rutgers game that I remember. An offensive move is to wrap your arm around the defender to get around them? Or knock down your defender like what happened to Stewie under that basket to get an open layup?
I believe it's more things like 24 second shot clock, bigger lane, further out 3 pt line, that Geno likes.

And lot's of players use the hook to get around defensive players. Guards will sometimes hook on the defensive players leg, while as you saw last night, posts hook the back. Charles used it quite a bit. However, players usually get called on it when it's as obvious as it was by Brazil last night. There's hooking and then there's HOOKING.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Taya Reimer is logging heavy minutes for a winning team and getting criticized by Internet
pundits. Is it November already?

What did you think of Reimer's play last night?

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
What did you think of Reimer's play last night?

I actually didn't get a chance to watch, so I don't know. My only point was that this is a common experience as a fan of hers - her playing a lot (when she could easily be benched) but being criticized.

N.B. she is my favorite ND player, so I'm quite biased when evaluating her play

Reaction Score
It's beginning to look like it will be Brazil v. Canada in one semi and USA v. Cuba
in the other. Not inconceivable that we could see Brazil again in the finals, but with the
crowd support it would seem more likely that it will be Canada.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
EasyEd - I would actually think it points to some freaky structure in her ankles that allows her to do things that would put others in a boot and she just shakes it off. She may have loosish tendons holding her ankle so when it does get twisted they don't actually 'sprain' - it still hurts but a little more tape and she is back at it. (It does scare me seriously, too!)

Ed4ourgirls - Cuba/Canada should be a really tough match-up. Winner likely getting Brazil loser getting the USA in the semis.

I was not that disappointed in either Reimer or Coates play last night - Brazil was doubling immediately on the pass down low and some of the passes to them were terrible. They were playing against seasoned pros, and the best thing was they were not forcing offense - defense was good enough. Surprised moving got so little time - she may be slower than Reimer?

Just watched Canada beat Argentina - got to believe Kia loves the freedom of playing at Uconn - for Canada she is a last option and generally is stuck in the corner/deep wing with not a lot of responsibility to move from that spot.

These are regional refs and so far I think not that good. But the international game generally allows a lot more body contact, but is very tight on arms/hands - USA kids generally have to learn not to reach in when they make the transition, and to keep their balance when being bodied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom