2024 Recruiting: - Liam McNeeley | Page 21 | The Boneyard

2024 Recruiting: Liam McNeeley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As with most things the difference between the top 0.1% and the top 1% can be huge, which is to say the difference between the 15th ranked recruit and the 30th ranked recruit could be comparable to the difference between 30th and 100th. Any 5 star can and should be expected to be good enough to start or heavily contribute even on a great team (see: Castle).

Also agree PG would generally be the hardest position to be great at from day one. And to clarify, I don't mean to say Nowell can't be a starting caliber PG as a freshman, I just think it's less likely than a lot of people want to believe. Would be ecstatic to eat crow on that one though.
Exactly, the only freshman who was really ready from day 1 to be the starting point guard at UConn in the last 35+ years was El-Amin.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
To be fair even Steph had a bit of a learning curve especially after the knee injury earlier in the season. It just was overshadowed by how good the rest of the team was.
Yep. There was a learning curve. It was amazing how quickly he adjusted to the college game. And how quickly he became a lock down defender.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I will say, to bring this topic back to McNeeley, that he's on a whole other tier as a recruit than Nowell AND plays an easier position to contribute day 1. PG is a tough transition. A lot goes into it, especially this Hurley offense. The mental aspect of it can be overwhelming. Also, college players are tall and smaller players need to adjust their finishing and such to account for the speed and size.

McNeeley is big and shooting is shooting. He's also high skilled and high BBIQ. Hopefully he'd closer to the Karaban transition.
Even during the time impact freshmen were common, none of our great PGs walked in starting and needed time to learn the position.

It’s just interesting if Hurley’s plan is to keep Diarra as a 6th man and both not start Nowell.

Is he going to hit the portal?

Reaction Score
Even during the time impact freshmen were common, none of our great PGs walked in starting and needed time to learn the position.

It’s just interesting if Hurley’s plan is to keep Diarra as a 6th man and both not start Nowell.

Is he going to hit the portal

Is he going to hit the portal?
Hopefully Diarra learned from Alleyne that the grass isn’t always greener and promises aren’t always kept outside of Storrs.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Hopefully Diarra learned from Alleyne that the grass isn’t always greener and promises aren’t always kept outside of Storrs.
By hit the portal I mean Hurley hit the portal. Not anyone on our team. Sorry that sounds confusing reading it back.

Reaction Score
Take with a grain of salt. Bluh bluh bluh
Hearing Staff is putting alot of energy and time into Liam McNeeley

Salt Bae Steak GIF

Reaction Score
Taliek Brown started every game his freshman year. Out of necessity. But to your point, he wasn't that good and got better through his 4 years.

Can't remember if there were any other freshmen who started right of the gate like Taliek and Khalid.

Reaction Score
He would be my top priority- this kid can flat out play & has a matured game for a HS player- think he would fit our offensive sets flawlessly as well. Sorry if it feels like I am hyping him up a bit, just very impressed from the games & tape I’ve seen on him.

Reaction Score
From a mom perspective there sure are a few difference between the Alabama program and the UConn program.

Reaction Score
From a mom perspective there sure are a few difference between the Alabama program and the UConn program.
What does Alabama offer that UConn doesn’t for a basketball player? Maybe more Nil?

Reaction Score
Some of our fans are talking about Nowell like he's the second coming of Jason Kidd and he's going to be an awesome starting point guard from day 1. Thanks for bringing some reality into to the conversation.
On the seventh day God created Ahmad Nowell to lead the UConn Huskies to their third consecutive National Championship. Thank you God.

Reaction Score
Hot Take:

Hassan Diarra is going to be a top 10 finalist for the Cousy Award. He’s going to be one of the better pg’s in the country. I think we’re putting a lot of limitations on this kid. He’s going to be an old, experienced, dog next season. He’s the bridge between Newton and Nowell. Sign me up

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
JC handed him the ball and said the team is yours. KEA was the real deal

Well, no, not really.

He came in and was our second scoring option behind Rip and the secondary ball handler next to Ricky. Khalid was great, but he stepped into an amazing situation.

Biggest what-if with Khalid…what if he had stuck around for one more year and got to pair with Caron for a season?

Reaction Score
Nowell and Diarra on floor together, double point. Similar to the double big, but better.

Reaction Score
Well, no, not really.

He came in and was our second scoring option behind Rip and the secondary ball handler next to Ricky. Khalid was great, but he stepped into an amazing situation.

Biggest what-if with Khalid…what if he had stuck around for one more year and got to pair with Caron for a season?
Just referencing JC's words on KEA.. He was never the scorer.. Always the facilitator. Ricky was off the charts in other ways. Rip was Rip..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom