Lauren Jackson makes it official | The Boneyard

Lauren Jackson makes it official

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Australian basketball great Lauren Jackson is set to announce her retirement from the sport on Thursday, ending her hopes of making it to a fifth Olympic Games and finishing her career with a gold medal.

Jackson has been fighting for a chance to go out on her terms after a constant battle with knee injuries crippled the final years of her playing days.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/spo...test-female-basketballer-20160330-gnu6dj.html

Reaction Score
Her knees must be in awful shape to retire thiiiiiis close to the games. I have to admit, despite my allegiance to Team USA, I was bummed last games that Penny Taylor was out for the Aussies. It was a close game even without her, but that would have been one for the ages had she been healthy.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She's had a tough injury road. One of the great ones for sure.

Reaction Score
Lauren has always been one of my most favorite players. She is one of the best, if not the best, player the game has seen. She did wonders in Seattle and with the help of Sue, she made the Storm a viable championship contender each and every season. Lauren changed the game and was a match up nightmare. I'm also quite impressed that she has used not only her education, but her name to try and make a difference when it comes to equal rights. This outcome was something many have been expecting for a while thanks to a string of injuries. It was definitely a pleasure to watch her each season, seeing her dominate her way to three MVP awards, and two WNBA championships.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
Transformative, great player. Best of luck to Lauren in her future endeavors.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Her knees must be in awful shape to retire thiiiiiis close to the games. I have to admit, despite my allegiance to Team USA, I was bummed last games that Penny Taylor was out for the Aussies. It was a close game even without her, but that would have been one for the ages had she been healthy.
She wasn't healthy enough to make the team, she wasn't healthy enough to play for her club team from which she retired about a month ago.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Her talent was evident from day one. What wasn't so evident was her toughness and will to win. A great example for today's young women players.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The number 1 draft pick, a 3-time scoring leader, a 3-time MVP, a 2-time WNBA champion. At her peak, she was arguably the best player in the world, certainly among the top 3 for years.

Best wishes, Lauren!

Stewie has big shoes to fill.

When Lauren was up in Storrs for a game, Geno quipped something to the effect of: "I was just chatting with your parents. They are lovely people. Were you adopted?"

Reaction Score
She did say one time too that if she had come to the states for college to play, she would've gone to UConn. Could you imagine?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
She did say one time too that if she had come to the states for college to play, she would've gone to UConn. Could you imagine?
She could have come in with KJ's class. UCONN won 3 out of 4 during that time anyway...but...yea that would have been nice. Add Jackson into that 2000-2001 year, wow. wow.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
She could have come in with KJ's class. UCONN won 3 out of 4 during that time anyway...but...yea that would have been nice. Add Jackson into that 2000-2001 year, wow. wow.

Speaking on behalf of Ruth Riley, Niele Ivey and Alicia Ratay, we're very glad Ms. Jackson did not play in that 2001 Final Four!
:)

That said, I agree with the fact that she was a transformative player who brought flair and a sense of spirit to the game. From what I've read, she's done that to the causes she believes in, as well. All the best to her in her next endeavor(s).

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Definitely an All-Time player, dominant at the pro level for years and years. She was sort of a prototype of players to come, wasn't she?

Reaction Score
I love Lauren, Penny and well basically all of the Aussies, but Lauren and Penny have been my favorites since they entered the WNBA. They carry themselves very well on and off the court. These are the type of players, people, that Geno and Connecticut hope to get. I couldn't imagine what Uconn's record would be if we'd been fortunate enough to get either of them.

I was so hoping to see one year of Lauren, Stewie, KML and Sue together.. That would have been awesome. I guess three out of four will have to do :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom