Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Lauren Cox to Visit on First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. I don't get why the football angle matters for a women's basketball recruit. Sure going to the games is fun, but you know what's more fun? Hoisting a national championship trophy every April and having most of your games broadcast to the entire nation. There's only one coach in America that can walk into a recruit's living room and guarantee a national championship, and it's not Kim Mulkey. Or Holly Warlick. Or Muffet McGraw. Or Dawn Staley. Or Jeff Walz. As far as professional basketball careers go, look how many UConn players are in the W. As an example, Seattle's roster is basically going to be one quarter UConn alumni next year.
Do you get also NOT get why academics, playing time, or the weather angle might matter to a women's college basketball recruit?
There is no coach in America that can "walk into a recruit's living room and guarantee a national championship" not even Geno. Would you believe a coach that guaranteed a NC anyway?

I don't think Cox is a must get. Like Geno told Stewie, he'll still win championships - with or without her.
Do you think Geno could/would have won any of the last 3 NCs without Stewie?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno didn't tell Stewie UConn would still win championships without her. As Geno described it, he told her there was still a chance UConn could win a championship without her. His approach was to appeal to her goals and I'm sure that's the same approach he takes with all elite players he's recruiting. This is how he described the evolution of his approach to recruiting during last year's championship press conference:

A. It's part of the evolution of our program. And it's part of the evolution of the recruiting process. When we were recruiting Rebecca, it was Rebecca. You could come to Connecticut and you could help us be really good. You can help build a program that people will say Rebecca Lobo helped build that. So that was the conversations that Rebecca had and I had on a regular basis were about what she could do to help us and how much fun it would be to play at Connecticut, close to home and all that.

As the years have gone on, and now culminating with recruiting Stewy, my conversations with Stewy were more about Stewy: Think of it this way, what do you want? Tell me what you want, because even if you don't come to Connecticut, I mean, there's a chance we could still win national championships. So it's not like we're dependent on just one player.

So what do you want? And she said: You know I want to win four national championships. I want to be Player of the Year. I want to make the Olympic team. I want, I want. She wants all these things.

I said: Well, why don't you sit down and take a look at all the coaches that you think can help you do that and you tell me where you want to go to school. So it was more about now the conversation and recruiting, this is what we can do for you, as opposed to Stewy: If you come here you'll help us do something, what, we've never done before?

So it's all about appealing to what they want now. And the thing with Maya, the same with Stewy, all these guys, those kids that don't necessarily know what they want, I don't know what I want, we don't get those kids. Those kids have to play 35 minutes, lead the country in scoring, want to have fun, want to love their coach, want to be buddy‑buddies with their coach. We don't get those guys. We get guys who don't like me but want to win championships.

Reaction Score
Do you get also NOT get why academics, playing time, or the weather angle might matter to a women's college basketball recruit?
There is no coach in America that can "walk into a recruit's living room and guarantee a national championship" not even Geno. Would you believe a coach that guaranteed a NC anyway?

Could? Sure. Would? Who knows. What we don't know is who may have been on Geno's list if he thought #30 was not headed his way. All the unknowns of what she would have meant to another program or what another recruit would have meant to UConn. We missed EDD coming in but did well without her. We did pretty well losing Shea and Svet one year, Sue another year. So color me happier that I have been able to follow Stewart and friends for near 120 games thus far and perhaps 38-39 games this season, BTW I think Mo, Breanna, Morgan (I know she missed some) have a great chance to reach 150 wins in their career, pretty awesome.

Reaction Score
[

If all that mattered to recruits was winning a NC then UCONN would get the top 3 or 4 ranked players in every class. Remember Diamond DeShields. And when she decided to leave UNC did she transfer to UCONN.

If Lauren doesn't choose UCONN does that mean she doesn't want to win a NC? Maybe she chooses Baylor because it is a top basketball program that she would like to lead to a NC, is in a Big 5 conference, is close enough for her parents and siblings to drive in to watch every home game in person, is a Baptist university with strong religious ideas, has a great football team that adds immeasurable excitement to campus life.
I think this is a very fair post. It points out what most UCONN fans think. It all comes down to what the recruit values. If a NC is of enough importance and the recruit wants to have the best opportunity to be successful in basketball beyond college, she will choose UCONN. If there are other things that are important enough, than other schools would be considered. But, getting a NC at ANY other university would only be a hope, maybe a calculated hope, but still only a hope.

Reaction Score
Could? Sure. Would? Who knows. What we don't know is who may have been on Geno's list if he thought #30 was not headed his way. All the unknowns of what she would have meant to another program or what another recruit would have meant to UConn. We missed EDD coming in but did well without her. We did pretty well losing Shea and Svet one year, Sue another year. So color me happier that I have been able to follow Stewart and friends for near 120 games thus far and perhaps 38-39 games this season, BTW I think Mo, Breanna, Morgan (I know she missed some) have a great chance to reach 150 wins in their career, pretty awesome.
It is a sure thing that Stewie, Mo and Tuck would not be going for a fourth NC if they went anywhere else.

Reaction Score

You are correct that no coach can guarantee, but no coach other than Geno can say it is extremely likely they would win a NC. Geno can say "we would like you to join us in PROBABLY winning one or more NC". Any other coach can only say "we would like you to join us to MAYBE win a NC if UCONN has an off season."

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
mhshuskies said:
It is a sure thing that Stewie, Mo and Tuck would not be going for a fourth NC if they went anywhere else.

If all three of them had gone to the same other school, I am not so sure that they would not have won multiple NC's, although probably not three in their first three years.

Also, I doubt whether any top recruit really prioritizes maximizing the number of NC's that she will win as a major factor in her college choice. Maximizing her development as a basketball player is a different thing entirely, and I am sure that is a huge factor for many recruits, especially those who choose UConn. UConn will probably get the majority of those for whom that is the top priority.

But top recruits with other higher priorities such as academics, religious affiliation, or proximity to home will still choose other schools in many cases, and properly so.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I disagree, put Stewie by herself at ND in 2012 and ND could be playing for it's 4 NC. Add MoJeff and Morgan to ND and I would put money on it.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
All this chatter about Cox to Baylor. Baylor has Kalini Brown 6'5. Where is Cox or Brown going to play. They are both post players. Not outside shooters. So where imo does Cox fit. Next Baylor had Griner. Won 1 NC and was was 2and 2 against UConn. During the time Griner was at Baylor UConn won 2 NCs Baylor won 1. Not much of a debate. Baylor has Brown 6'5 and ND has Turner a probable AA. I have no inside information but I like our chances.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Geno didn't tell Stewie UConn would still win championships without her. As Geno described it, he told her there was still a chance UConn could win a championship without her. His approach was to appeal to her goals and I'm sure that's the same approach he takes with all elite players he's recruiting. This is how he described the evolution of his approach to recruiting during last year's championship press conference:

A. It's part of the evolution of our program. And it's part of the evolution of the recruiting process. When we were recruiting Rebecca, it was Rebecca. You could come to Connecticut and you could help us be really good. You can help build a program that people will say Rebecca Lobo helped build that. So that was the conversations that Rebecca had and I had on a regular basis were about what she could do to help us and how much fun it would be to play at Connecticut, close to home and all that.

As the years have gone on, and now culminating with recruiting Stewy, my conversations with Stewy were more about Stewy: Think of it this way, what do you want? Tell me what you want, because even if you don't come to Connecticut, I mean, there's a chance we could still win national championships. So it's not like we're dependent on just one player.

So what do you want? And she said: You know I want to win four national championships. I want to be Player of the Year. I want to make the Olympic team. I want, I want. She wants all these things.

I said: Well, why don't you sit down and take a look at all the coaches that you think can help you do that and you tell me where you want to go to school. So it was more about now the conversation and recruiting, this is what we can do for you, as opposed to Stewy: If you come here you'll help us do something, what, we've never done before?

So it's all about appealing to what they want now. And the thing with Maya, the same with Stewy, all these guys, those kids that don't necessarily know what they want, I don't know what I want, we don't get those kids. Those kids have to play 35 minutes, lead the country in scoring, want to have fun, want to love their coach, want to be buddy‑buddies with their coach. We don't get those guys. We get guys who don't like me but want to win championships.

Thank you, this makes much more sense.

Reaction Score
Message received. I will take my enthusiasm on this subject to the Baylor board, where I agree in belongs. I am sure that Cox found her UCONN visit to be quite impressive and getting to see First Night was quite an experience.
FWIW, I don't think your comments on Cox were disrespectful. (As you know if she ends up choosing Baylor many on this board will conclude that we didn't really want her anyway - not a "UCONN" type of person.)

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
The thing about Geno and his coaching staff,is that they take lesser regarded girls like Dolson and Faris,and turn them into more than anyone would have guessed.Not only do his girls succeed on the court,but off as well.
How many people five years ago,would have said Dolson would be a very good player in the WNBA?How many girls come back year after year to tell us that this staff is responsible for helping them achieve their goals and success.
Whether Cox joins the Connecticut family or not,is up to her,but the success of this program will go on and on and on.Let us remember,that Geno always finds those gems that others often miss.

Reaction Score
FWIW, I don't think your comments on Cox were disrespectful. (As you know if she ends up choosing Baylor many on this board will conclude that we didn't really want her anyway - not a "UCONN" type of person.)
My take is that she will have made her choice with factors of coach, support system within the academics, family influence, and her own instincts. And any of the UConn faithful who want to suggest she may not have been "a UConn type" to explain anything should get off the mind altering substances. I doubt GA brings a kid in for her offical visit coincidentally on First Night if he didn't think she was a fit for UConn. Now we wait to see if Lauren thinks she and UConn are a good fit.

Reaction Score
Since '95, UConn wins the NC every other year, on the average. So a kid has to work hard at it to spend four years at UConn and not win a championship, and she will need a lot of help. I know, Charde Huston accomplished this amazing feat.

Reaction Score

How many?

Reaction Score
Ha - a break with tradition?

tumblr_inline_mi33458irI1qz4rgp.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads