Lauren Betts in the Portal | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Lauren Betts in the Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought DeBerry was ranked 15?
Espn did have her as at15 but Prospect nation had her at three so somewhere way up there that she’s not living up to. Which is not an enjoyable statement, but just reality.

Reaction Score
A four big rotation as you have outlined could work very well, and in fact have terrific insurance behind them, and I am not including Amari in that. Ice and Jana are not just competing with a potential Betts for playing time, but also with Aubrey and Ayanna. Ayanna since she had a somewhat disappointing first year, could be beaten out by Ice or Jana for backup minutes at the 4. Remember those two can get minutes at the 4 or the 5. An even bigger threat to their opportunity there, however, could be Aubrey. She played mostly on the wing this year due to injuries, but was a star backup 4 her first two years, and remember how she came to the rescue there when Aaliyah was in foul trouble.

Geno could just go with Aaliyah and Aubrey at the 4 and we would be very good there without having to even consider Ice, Jana, Ayanna, or even Caroline at the 4. Now Aubrey will be needed some on the wing too, but probably could cover all of Edward's limited backup minutes and still be available to help there some as well. So there is a pretty high hurdle rate for anyone striving for minutes at the 4, because Aubrey will be available there.

So if Betts would be likely to start (my belief) then Ice and Jana would likely be competing for the backup minutes there, with probably the best of the two getting those minutes, and the other getting mop up and injury related minutes and possibly some but not many at the 4.
One thing this past season showed is that playing Aaliyah and Aubrey at the 4 & 5 together is totally workable against most teams. And playing Aubrey next to Aaliyah and Dorka was also an effective trio when Caroline was out of action.

But this last season also showed some limitations to Aubrey’s game. When she started and played 30 mins, she could get worn down and lost some of her edge. When we had the womanpower for it and she could come off the bench for 20 mins, she often had a huge impact. She would introduce a new energy other teams could not cope with. The Baylor game was a perfect example of this.

Next season, whoever is in the post, I think Aubrey will have her best most impactful games when she comes off the bench and runs amok. In that role, I don’t think it matters whether she’s subbing for the 3 or the 4. She’s just going to chase down every loose ball, sky for rebounds and run the floor on breaks.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I see where you’re coming from and don’t really disagree with most of it though I haven’t thought about it quite that deeply. I just want at least 3 studs rotating through those 2 post positions. One difference of preference is that I’m not as interested in playing Griffin inside as maybe you are. I don’t pretend to know how Auriemma views it all but my simple thinking is, put as much hungry, competitive talent as possible on the practice floor and let them compete to earn their spots to execute my game plans. That competition will raise most kid’s games and others not so much. The best 8-9 will probably determine how the season goes and then we’ll do it again next year with whoever is available.
I think what we saw from Griffin this year wasn't just necessity, but coaching players to have a future beyond college, something CD and Geno are really good at. Aubrey isn't making it in the WNBA as a 4. She needs to develop her skills as a wing to be attractive at the next level. (See Gabby as a reference.) And I would say Ayanna needs to develop in the same way. There just aren't a lot of 6'1"-6'2" pro power forwards in the world, and the ones that succeed tend to be wide body immovable objects like Morrow. While an inch taller, Ice is also that sort of player that can succeed against taller players.

I don't know if Uconn would consider any portal player given their current roster, but I think a player who they recruited hard two years ago, who is a skilled post who has a year of high level college ball that for some reason was 'stunted' and is seeking a new school, is the sort of player they would pursue if they pursue anyone. Betts provides great size and skill even if she is 'raw'.

If she is in fact 'slow', it doesn't prevent a team running - how often is the 'secondary' break the winning play for a team, either because every defender collapses into the paint and allows a trailer to have an uncontested three, or because the interior defense parts to start regaining defensive position and the trailing big arrives for a poorly defended paint play. No one ever counted Stef as a fast center, but she was still very effective on a team that loved getting out in transition. And defensively, having a paint defender as the last defender in a trapping/pressing defense is really important whether it is full court or in half court sets. Think of Moriah's aggressive defense knowing that either Stokes or Stewart was sitting at the basket if her player got past her to erase her mistake. Now replace Moriah with Paige of Nika - their defense becomes better because they can gamble more.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what Geno will do. But I’ve spent a year wondering what Ice can do for the team, and half a year wondering about Jana. I want to see those girls play! I have no interest in adding Betts or anyone else to the mix. I am supremely confident Paige and Azzi and Nika and Caroline can make it impossible for any opponents to pack the paint against our big girls. In a clear lane even Amari will find her best self.

And, omagod, I almost forgot KK Ashlynn and Q. I hope early on Geno uses a deep rotation and we run our OOC opponents ragged. By February, of course, the rotation will be down to 5+2 or 3. But in November and December, I say release the Huskies!!

sun

Reaction Score
Because Betts was recruited during covid, she didn't receive any home visits by coaches or make official visits to tour campus facilities. All of her recruiting was done by Zoom and phone calls, with her campus visits consisting of Zoom virtual tours.
She didn't get to meet potential teammates in person, but made connections by Zoom.

Betts mentioned some reasons that she went to Stanford were; they had players from Colorado, good education, close enough location to her family so that they could easily watch her play.
Her sister said that she thinks Lauren is more of a beach person.
Her final list of schools before committing were Stanford, UCLA, Notre Dame, UConn, Scar, Oregon,

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because Betts was recruited during covid, she didn't receive any home visits by coaches or make official visits to tour campus facilities. All of her recruiting was done by Zoom and phone calls, with her campus visits consisting of Zoom virtual tours.
She didn't get to meet potential teammates in person, but made connections by Zoom.

Betts mentioned some reasons that she went to Stanford were; they had players from Colorado, good education, close enough location to her family so that they could easily watch her play.
Her final list of schools before committing were Stanford, UCLA, Notre Dame, UConn, Scar, Oregon,

You make a good point. A lot of the current underclassmen committed during Covid. I've been rolling my eyes at the sheer number of players in the portal, but now that you mention the far from ideal circumstances under which they had to make their decisions, I think I need to cut these kids some slack.

Reaction Score

I can see UCLA, she’s following a couple associate head coaches

Reaction Score
I think what we saw from Griffin this year wasn't just necessity, but coaching players to have a future beyond college, something CD and Geno are really good at. Aubrey isn't making it in the WNBA as a 4. She needs to develop her skills as a wing to be attractive at the next level. (See Gabby as a reference.) And I would say Ayanna needs to develop in the same way. There just aren't a lot of 6'1"-6'2" pro power forwards in the world, and the ones that succeed tend to be wide body immovable objects like Morrow. While an inch taller, Ice is also that sort of player that can succeed against taller players.

I don't know if Uconn would consider any portal player given their current roster, but I think a player who they recruited hard two years ago, who is a skilled post who has a year of high level college ball that for some reason was 'stunted' and is seeking a new school, is the sort of player they would pursue if they pursue anyone. Betts provides great size and skill even if she is 'raw'.

If she is in fact 'slow', it doesn't prevent a team running - how often is the 'secondary' break the winning play for a team, either because every defender collapses into the paint and allows a trailer to have an uncontested three, or because the interior defense parts to start regaining defensive position and the trailing big arrives for a poorly defended paint play. No one ever counted Stef as a fast center, but she was still very effective on a team that loved getting out in transition. And defensively, having a paint defender as the last defender in a trapping/pressing defense is really important whether it is full court or in half court sets. Think of Moriah's aggressive defense knowing that either Stokes or Stewart was sitting at the basket if her player got past her to erase her mistake. Now replace Moriah with Paige of Nika - their defense becomes better because they can gamble more.
1st bolded: I agree with you regarding the coaching/developing side of this. Plus I don't feel that the 4 slot is the best use of Griffin's talents. I'd want her on the perimeter disrupting, not wrestling with bigger kids inside. 2nd bolded: Exactly what I was thinking regarding Betts' speed and why I like to have at least 3 bigs to rotate in those 2 post spots. Very few kids are slow compared to Dolson and she was very good at what she did. Obviously on defense everything is important. But my highest priority is interior defense/rim protection. I want to force teams like SC to have to shoot well to beat me.

Reaction Score
If we gave another 6'7" player coming or on the roster ready to step up, that's fine. Otherwise, I want Betts. We need a dominant rebounder to kick it out to Paige and Azzi next season. Look at the UConn Men. Success is a dominant big and two dead-eye shooters.

Reaction Score
Prince going to TCU. Geno needs to land Betts. Last good Big in the Portal. Promise her starter minutes if you have to Geno. Get it done!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Not many beaches among that list.

So...Pepperdine, UCSB or FGCU should be the leaders!

Reaction Score
The only way I see Betts coming to UConn is with an understanding that she's in an understudy role to Edwards/DeBerry/Brady, and that the staff will not make promises of PT nor upset the already existing chemistry that the players have both on and off the court. The ol' sacrifice a little, be part of something big.

On edit - imagine if this is what Geno was referencing?
Edwards plays a different position but Geno already has shown that he isn't afraid to move people past DeBerry. Brady is still a couple unknown too so I think that promise wouldn't need to be made. I would say we have a spot for you if you can compete and earn it.

Reaction Score
Lauren Ebo.
I was surprised that EBO was " fit " at N.D. Hardly a speedster. If
N.D. gets Betts what does that mean for N.D.'s ability to get " bigs"
out of H.S.??

Reaction Score
I think Betts to UCLA is for sure happening. It would give them the Top 2 players in the 2022 class with Kiki Rice (#2).

The last time the Top 2 players played on the same team, they won 4 consecutive National Championships (Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson).

2017: Evina Westbrook (#2) was eligible at to play at UConn after Megan Walker (#1) declared for the WNBA Draft.

2018: Charli Collier (#2) decommits from UConn, would have played alongside Christyn Williams (#1).

Reaction Score
If, as we all know, UConn is THE training ground for the WNBA, it would make a lot of sense for Lauren Betts to come here. That would free Aaliyah and Ice to work at their more probable pro destination; power forward. Jana also would benefit from practicing against her (and vice versa) as she works into a 4/5 spot.

Reaction Score
I haven't really seen Betts play since high school but she did shoot 60% and her block rate would come to 2.2 blocks per 25 minutes. That's nothing to sneeze at.
However, at UCONN we have seen a HS all American ( 6'5") who has shown little of that dominance yet, after two full seasons with UCONN coaches. So, some these unusually BIG players, can simply dominate without it being a real challenge. Then they get to Division 1.

Reaction Score
If, as we all know, UConn is THE training ground for the WNBA, it would make a lot of sense for Lauren Betts to come here.
Is that still the case though? For every Aaliyah and Dorka who improve mightily, there seems to be an Amari and Ayanna who don't.

I'm not trying to be negative here, but with all the disappointment in the development of our younger post players that's been expressed this year, it seems like a bit of cognitive dissonance to say we're particularly good at developing our bigs.

Reaction Score
Is that still the case though? For every Aaliyah and Dorka who improve mightily, there seems to be an Amari and Ayanna who don't.

I'm not trying to be negative here, but with all the disappointment in the development of our younger post players that's been expressed this year, it seems like a bit of cognitive dissonance to say we're particularly good at developing our bigs.
I think that, if one has legit aspirations of playing in the WNBA, UConn players have been, historically, better prepared fundamentally, to be successful in the "W". They need to accept their shortcomings, and determine to make them strengths. Tina Charles comes to mind.

Reaction Score
I've read that Kate Paye does most of the talking in huddles now. Can the Stanford folks confirm or refute that?
You can' take what that poster said seriously. Tara won a title 2 years ago and got to FF last year. Now all of a sudden she can't coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom