Last Two Plays | The Boneyard

Last Two Plays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
before the late TD. UConn's defense wasn't ready either play, guys were all over the place. A TO was needed, not called. I'm thinking that it's because PP was afraid of 2nd guessing if he stopped the clock. Fail.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
before the late TD. UConn's defense wasn't ready either play, guys were all over the place. A TO was needed, not called. I'm thinking that it's because PP was afraid of 2nd guessing if he stopped the clock. Fail.

The play leading up to the big catch on the sideline was a sack. Williams and Moore were chest bumping while Temple was lining up to convert 3rd and 14.

Reaction Score

Yup. They were busy celebrating the sack. Good call.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yup. They were busy celebrating the sack. Good call.

Does that let the coach of the hook for letting the ball snap with the defense unprepared?

Reaction Score
Does that let the coach of the hook for letting the ball snap with the defense unprepared?

Nope its a failure by the entire team.

Parcells tells a story that when he was an assistant coach at Air Force he had worked with a defensive player all week leading up to a game about a certain play the other team ran. Come gameday the other team ran the play and the player failed to do what he was told. The head coach blamed Parcells for the failure and Parcells told the coach that he prepped the kid all week for the play. The head coach told Parcells that he obviously didn't prep him enough because the kid failed. Parcells later agreed and stated that that was one of the best lessons he learned about coaching.

Reaction Score
If the coach's noticed we were out of position then yes it's a problem. I think they thought we had the game won. When you are up one score there is nothing wrong with calling a TO to make sure people have their assignments down.

Reaction Score
Nope its a failure by the entire team.

Parcells tells a story that when he was an assistant coach at Air Force he had worked with a defensive player all week leading up to a game about a certain play the other team ran. Come gameday the other team ran the play and the player failed to do what he was told. The head coach blamed Parcells for the failure and Parcells told the coach that he prepped the kid all week for the play. The head coach told Parcells that he obviously didn't prep him enough because the kid failed. Parcells later agreed and stated that that was one of the best lessons he learned about coaching.

great story. i hadn't heard that. makes a lot of sense.

more people should be taught that lesson.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So nobody would have lost their minds if he essentially stopped the clock for the other team with less than 30 seconds left in the game??? Okay...

(I know that I would have lost my f#$king mind if he called that timeout!)

Reaction Score
So nobody would have lost their minds if he essentially stopped the clock for the other team with less than 30 seconds left in the game??? Okay...

I agree. The problem is that we are a completely undisciplined and unfocused, and unconfident team. Yes, it does extend to the defense too. Every team that plays against us, eventually goes to a hurry up, quick snap offense, and our defense has trouble with it.

What happened today on defense at the end of the game was inexcusable, those guys thought they had the game won - on third down, with time on clock.

Reaction Score

Dan, normally that is true, but you're up 7 and our defense looks like a goshdarn Chinese fire drill out there. Take a T/O and try to settle your team down.

P has an aversion to using his time outs. Doesn't like to do it to then end half when he has the ball, doesn't like to do it at the end of the game while on defense.

I do not remember the chest bumping after the sack, but if so, even more reason to call a time out and get in their ass for celebrating instead of lining up to play ball.

Reaction Score
PP really likes to "school" his players. He tries to use pressure to get them to produce. Not working out here.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Produce what?

produce.jpg

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Dan, normally that is true, but you're up 7 and our defense looks like a goshdarn Chinese fire drill out there. Take a T/O and try to settle your team down.

P has an aversion to using his time outs. Doesn't like to do it to then end half when he has the ball, doesn't like to do it at the end of the game while on defense.

I do not remember the chest bumping after the sack, but if so, even more reason to call a time out and get in their ass for celebrating instead of lining up to play ball.

It is absolutely the wrong thing to do. Period. And again, 98% of the coaches out there would not call that timeout and give the opposing team a way to stop the clock, being up 7 points with less than 30 seconds to go. You CANNOT give the opposing team a free timeout while they are running out of clock while you are up a touchdown. Just because hindsight says, "They scored, therefore, we should have done x and not y" does not change the fact that PP did the right thing...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Instead we gave them a free touchdown. Did you see how wide open those guys were?

So the fact that they were wide open is on PP. I see. In that case, he should have foreseen that, then used his time machine, gone back to the play before, and then called the timeout. Most coaches would have used the time machine...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
So the fact that they were wide open is on PP. I see.

The fact that the D was not in position and not ready for the snap is on PP. That two guys were wide open was the predictable result.

Reaction Score

Exactly how I see it. As terrific as the defense was, and it was terrific all day especially containing Harris who is a beast, they were not in sync with the game on the line. After the sack, there should have been no way to score given Temple's position on the field, the time and no time outs for Temple (I believe). It's counter intuitive to stop the clock and have that defense go into a prevent, but in that situation, that was exactly what was necessary to ensure victory.

Just really hard to be critical of the way that defense played and again Sio and Yawin took over the game.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It is absolutely the wrong thing to do. Period. And again, 98% of the coaches out there would not call that timeout and give the opposing team a way to stop the clock, being up 7 points with less than 30 seconds to go. You CANNOT give the opposing team a free timeout while they are running out of clock while you are up a touchdown. Just because hindsight says, "They scored, therefore, we should have done x and not y" does not change the fact that PP did the right thing...
Before the snap on the play to the 15 yard line there absolutely (shy of not having enough men on the field) was no reason to stop the clock. As their WR went out of bounds after the catch (and the clock was not going to start again until the next snap) we absolutely should have called a TO before the paly for the TD pass to make sure that everyone on the defense knew their assignments and was in position for the play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom