Last Plea for First Night | The Boneyard

Last Plea for First Night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Everyone try and make the drive.

I'm not saying a full house will automatically land us recruits, but it helps.

Many Indiana fans made 3+ hour drives for D-Rob (I know he's not coming anymore) but my point being they made the sacrifice.

Besides its free

Reaction Score
We should also duck tape the loose ceiling panels back in place- with all the flashing lights maybe they won't notice.

Reaction Score
can someone remind me again...are they doing the dunk contest this year or are they just doing the intersquad scrimmage? thx

Reaction Score
can someone remind me again...are they doing the dunk contest this year or are they just doing the intersquad scrimmage? thx
allegedly no dunk contest or 3 point contest. Just scrimmage

Reaction Score
We should also duck tape the loose ceiling panels back in place- with all the flashing lights maybe they won't notice.

you're serious aren't you?

They will most likely notice the loose ceiling panels and not the multi-million state of the art facility being built 500 feet away? lmao

Reaction Score
you're serious aren't you?

They will most likely notice the loose ceiling panels and not the multi-million state of the art facility being built 500 feet away? lmao

As amazing as the facility will be, it's not such a welcoming sight for a recruit to see how shabby Gampel looks nowadays.

Reaction Score
No dunk contest and a combined scrimmage with both women's and men's teams. Woof. Our first night is starting to become a joke when it could be a unique recruiting tool.

Reaction Score
No dunk contest and a combined scrimmage with both women's and men's teams. Woof. Our first night is starting to become a joke when it could be a unique recruiting tool.
agreed. This is the first one in a long time my buddies and I will miss. Can't get a bunch of 25 year old men to go watch an inter-squad scrimmage when we had hoped to see a big time dunk off between DD and Boat. Midnight Madness used to be a blast as a high school student and undergrad

Reaction Score

Oh, I don't know. I find slam dunk contests and three point shooting contests kind of tedious. There's like one or two original off the chart dunks and the rest kind of look the same. Three point shooting contests are just lame.

But I think the scrimmage has potential. Think about it. How much defense is going to be played in the scrimmage? My guess is not a lot. How about on a fast break Bazz throws a long alley oop to Deandre and he slams it down with two hands. That, will be awesome.

Or if Omar, or better if KLM, gets hot and starts raining threes. Or Ryan does some crazy through the lane up and under. I think the game has way more potential than a scripted slam dunk or shooting contest.

And besides, every other school does exactly the same thing. We have a unique opportunity in that our men's and women's programs are both national powers. Take advantage of it.

Reaction Score
I've talked to a couple recruits and they all said that it is a cool idea and something they've never seen. I know they won't say that it's a bad idea but it's encouraging that they are saying its a pretty cool idea.

I'm planning on trying to talk to the majority of the recruits the next day to see what they say. I'll write an article about what they said about it sometime early next week.

Reaction Score
Don't worry about it 3. Us middle-aged guys already know exactly what attracts recruits. In fact, we know from past experience that what helped get Emeka was the finance department being housed across the street from Gampel, and what helped get Ben was cows.

So what we're going to do is put some cows right outside the finance building, bring our recruits by, and just hand out letters of intent. And a box of pens.

Reaction Score
As amazing as the facility will be, it's not such a welcoming sight for a recruit to see how shabby Gampel looks nowadays.

I am in Gampel every other day. What about it screams "shabby" could you elaborate please. I will admit it has seen better days but you are taking this a bit too far, there is nothing alarming

Reaction Score
Everyone try and make the drive.

I'm not saying a full house will automatically land us recruits, but it helps.

Many Indiana fans made 3+ hour drives for D-Rob (I know he's not coming anymore) but my point being they made the sacrifice.

Besides its free

My son loves UConn ALMOST as much as I love it..........he thought the "scrimmage"was cool so WE will be there!!

Reaction Score
There will be more cool dunks and 3 pt shots in the scrimmage than in the contests. People are just afraid of showing anything more than a sliver above apathy towards our 8 time national champion women's team.

Reaction Score
Again, I'll ask. Why not do the intersquad scrimmage AND the dunk/3 point contest? Just make it two hours long instead of one.

Reaction Score

How would a dunk contest, or even an all men's team scrimmage, be unique if it's exactly what every other school in the country does?

We're picking nits here. It's one thing to argue over what we as fans would prefer to see. But if anyone thinks a recruit is going to decide not to go to Uconn just because he was forced to watch the women's team play during First Night, they're just plain nuts.

I didn't go, but I saw some video of last year's First Night. It included a dunk contest that Boatright lost because he missed several dunks (there's nothing more boring than watching people miss dunks, by the way). Then I saw that an intense game of Knockout was played, followed by a Bobby Valentino performance, and there might have even been a little Simon Says for good measure to end the night. And we're complaining about the intrasquad scrimmage?

Reaction Score
I think knockout is a game that should be a mainstay going forward. It's good because the girls and guys team are both probably roughly equal at it.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
How about a good ole game of horse! followed by the combined scrimmage.at first I wasnt sold on it,but seems like it'll do ok as long as its competitive.

Reaction Score
Horse takes too long. The NBA tried to include it as part of All-Star weekend and it failed miserably. What I do like the idea of, though, is adopting one of those NBA all-star shooting competitions, where you have to hit a shot from each spot on the floor, and then one from half court. You could have four teams of four, or something like that, and include a current player from the men's team, a current player from the women's team, and then a "legend" from each team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom