Last Dance | The Boneyard

Last Dance

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Starts tonight on ESPN. Parts 1 and 2. Not sure why they are waiting to 9 PM EDT but whatever.

Looking forward to it. Really looking forward to seeing how basketball was played 20-25 years ago compared to now.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Someone didn't watch Denver Nuggets games in the 80s.
Or Golden State when they had Mullen/Hardaway/Mitch.

You can't point to the outliers and say that's what the NBA was like back then. Nice try though.

OldBosd

BBQ Beer Freedom!!!
Reaction Score
Starts tonight on ESPN. Parts 1 and 2. Not sure why they are waiting to 9 PM EDT but whatever.

Looking forward to it. Really looking forward to seeing how basketball was played 20-25 years ago compared to now.

I've been watching some old Bird games. I keep yelling at open players to take a couple step back and take a 3. It is so bizarre they don't realize that tiny decrease in shooting % is more than made up by 50% more points and longer rebounds.

The D just sags off allowing open 18 foot jump shots with a closeout.

Bird should be taking a dozen 3's a game. easy

Reaction Score
People's memories of the past are often warped. They scored more in the 80s than they do now. I remember the Laker and Celtica scoring 120+ points against each other in the Finals. The Pistons beat Denver 186 - 184 in 1983. Isiah almost went for 50 pts and 20 assists.

The late 90s - early 2000s was some of the worst basketball in history. The overall level of athleticism is much higher now, but the game was grittier then.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
why is high scoring a garbage product?
I guess it's subjective. I like basketball that gets played on both ends of the court...offense AND defense. I just feel like the NBA regular season has minimal defense. The playoffs are MUCH better, and that's usually when I start watching. Basketball at the college level is just so much better.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've been watching some old Bird games. I keep yelling at open players to take a couple step back and take a 3. It is so bizarre they don't realize that tiny decrease in shooting % is more than made up by 50% more points and longer rebounds.

The D just sags off allowing open 18 foot jump shots with a closeout.

Bird should be taking a dozen 3's a game. easy

The other weird thing was how the Ayers enforced the lane. And not just scrub end of bench players. Hall of Famers like McHale thought nothing of a clothes line to someone's neck. That 3 part Lakers Celtic documentary was great.

Reaction Score
A lot of people thought those 81-75 Knicks v. Heat and Knicks v. Pacers rock fights were brutal to watch.
Yeah but not as bad as watching the Knicks of late. I usually like most games my team wins (see UConn/Butler)

OldBosd

BBQ Beer Freedom!!!
Reaction Score
People's memories of the past are often warped. They scored more in the 80s than they do now. I remember the Laker and Celtica scoring 120+ points against each other in the Finals. The Pistons beat Denver 186 - 184 in 1983. Isiah almost went for 50 pts and 20 assists.

The late 90s - early 2000s was some of the worst basketball in history. The overall level of athleticism is much higher now, but the game was grittier then.

I think the NBA is better now than ever. I like how Zion, Yannis, Tatum and Luka are all emerging as superstars but with different games.

I am hoping that Brown can make a similar leap that Tatum made this year and become the top 1-2 combo in the league. Both are great two way players.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I think the NBA is better now than ever. I like how Zion, Yannis, Tatum and Luka are all emerging as superstars but with different games.

I am hoping that Brown can make a similar leap that Tatum made this year and become the top 1-2 combo in the league. Both are great two way players.
That's interesting! I think the NBA is unwatchable. Nothing but isolation, clear outs, one on ones, and no defense. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

OldBosd

BBQ Beer Freedom!!!
Reaction Score
That's interesting! I think the NBA is unwatchable. Nothing but isolation, clear outs, one on ones, and no defense. I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

The Celtics play great defense. Marcus Smart is amazing.

When everyone realized the 3 point shot was 50% more valuable for a small decrease in shooting %, it changed the spacing. You have to guard people much further from the basket and cover more ground.

The game is just tougher now.

Reaction Score
I guess it's subjective. I like basketball that gets played on both ends of the court...offense AND defense. I just feel like the NBA regular season has minimal defense. The playoffs are MUCH better, and that's usually when I start watching. Basketball at the college level is just so much better.
Sounds like you want your team to win 120-65 every game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom