Lady Vols suspending players from early pre season games | The Boneyard

Lady Vols suspending players from early pre season games

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
That's what happens when you recruit team-oriented players--not!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Massengale and Carter one game, Burdock and Tucker for 2... academic issues!

for those who don't believe in Twitterverse...

BTW... OT

Reaction Score
Massengale and Carter one game, Burdock and Tucker for 2... academic issues!

for those who don't believe in Twitterverse...

BTW... OT

I considered OT but since we have so many lady vol fans here I wanted them to feel at home.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
This has been a rule since Pat's early years. They should know better. If you miss a class, you miss a game. They have to sit in the first three rows of class, and can't be late.

Good move by Holly for following through with punishment.

Reaction Score
yes those are the rules at TN for the girls basketball players.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I considered OT but since we have so many lady vol fans here I wanted them to feel at home.
It's not OT. Anything related to WCBB is never OT on our board. OT is reserved for politics, animal stories, those random quizzes, or something related to another sport entirely like baseball, etc. Discussing any other WCBB team is most definitely NOT OT...

In fairness to the players, I don't think academics is any indication of an ability to play team ball or be a good teammate. One could argue that not taking academics seriously enough IS being a "poor" team player because you are potentially impacting your team by not doing your studies, but I do think it's a stretch...

Reaction Score
In general, missing a class = not a big deal IMHO, but it's a team rule and troubling that it's 2 seniors -- Burdick and Massengale. Not the kind of leadership you want.

But I wonder how do they know that players missed/were late? Even at a small school like I attended, no one paid attention or kept track.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I wonder if Holly will stagger the suspensions or enforce all of them for the first and second games of the season. Tenn opens up against Penn and Oral Roberts so winning shouldn't be jeopardized without the named players.

HGN

Reaction Score
I too applaud Holly for going through with suspensions. Especially on the seniors. It lets the team know that if she will suspend senior stars then she will do it on anybody if rules are violated .

Good for the Vols.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
In general, missing a class = not a big deal IMHO, but it's a team rule and troubling that it's 2 seniors -- Burdick and Massengale. Not the kind of leadership you want.

But I wonder how do they know that players missed/were late? Even at a small school like I attended, no one paid attention or kept track.

The coaching staff gets daily reports from each player's professors regarding their attendance, seating, and whether they were late or not. This also happened back in the summer, not recently. It's just now being released because the first exhibition is on Sunday.

mtsuraider06

Tennessee Devotee
Reaction Score
I too applaud Holly for going through with suspensions. Especially on the seniors. It lets the team know that if she will suspend senior stars then she will do it on anybody if rules are violated .

Good for the Vols.

Pat did it to Candace during her homecoming trip to DePaul in 2008. She was missed curfew, and was with her family, but rules are rules and Pat made her sit out the first half.

Reaction Score
Douglas said:
yes those are the rules at TN for the girls basketball players.

Douglas, first - welcome to the board.

Second, a little board linguistics lesson.

Girls basketball = high school. I don't know any university, college, even community colleges that refer to their teams as "girls basketball".

At Tennessee, they are Lady Vols. Not women Vols, always Lady.

At UConn, they are women Huskies, or better yet just Huskies unless you are referring to the men's and women's teams in the same post. Not Lady, never Lady Huskies.

Remember those simple nomenclature rules and you will do fine.

Seriously, welcome aboard and happy posting.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It's not OT. Anything related to WCBB is never OT on our board. OT is reserved for politics, animal stories, those random quizzes, or something related to another sport entirely like baseball, etc. Discussing any other WCBB team is most definitely NOT OT...

In fairness to the players, I don't think academics is any indication of an ability to play team ball or be a good teammate. One could argue that not taking academics seriously enough IS being a "poor" team player because you are potentially impacting your team by not doing your studies, but I do think it's a stretch...
explain that to a few "regulars" who suggested that anything NOT UConnWBB-related should be listed as OT... even if its about another WBB team.

(for the record I was being sacastic, playing along with the nonsense)

(edit - think it was moreso due to all the Tenn threads... and maybe ND)

Reaction Score
I love Holly's decision. The players will never miss a class again. I guarantee that. I would also add that all of them are top notch students on the honor roll.

Reaction Score

They do at UT. LOL Coach Holly has asked all professors/instructors to let her know if one of her players misses a class. This has been standard policy for many years. The missed classes occurred last year between the end of the basketball season and the end of the semester; therefore the penalties are being assessed this season. Carter, Burdick and Massengale are upperclassmen and team leaders. They know better, so a little embarrassment will be a valuable lesson. Oh well, it does mean the new freshmen will get a lot of playing time in the first two games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom