Lady Vols Board | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Lady Vols Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
True. The Empire struck back from time to time. Finally our Jedi returned in full glory.

And this afternoon, we beat Houston 20-17.
Oh wow, that's almost as big as beating ND. As to UConn WCBB beating Houston, I think they could bring back the original team from 1974-75 to play and the Huskies would still have to give points on the betting line.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Great win. A Timely and Important win. The football team needs to be a someone in order for UConn to get into a Power 5 league.

They also need to have thousands of someones filling the seats at the Rent

Reaction Score
I simply don't buy the "but we'll get better by the end of the year" thing. The only "really" new part on the team is Cooper. Deshields had an entire year to sit out and watch. This is Russell's 3rd year. Every single starter on the Tenn roster has at least 1 year experience except for Cooper. AND the team went to Italy or something this year to bond and play some games, right?

So really, Tenn should be ahead of every other team out there, not behind them. To say "but we will improve loads by the end of the year". Riiiight. So will UCONN, ND, Baylor (who by the way is acclimating may more pieces than Tenn), as well as SC (who is far more experienced than most teams out there).

I think (just my opinion) that some of the frustration for Tenn fans is that they look at the roster and see all the players who were ranked super high coming out of HS, and they think that makes them a FF team. It simply doesn't, and when you have a hobbled Diamond to go along with coaching that is still working from a style drawn from the 80's and 90's (as Mil, Vctw, and UCMiami pointed out), it's not a recipe for elite success. You simply cannot run offense that consists mainly of dribble around the perimeter, make a few passes for the 1st 10 seconds of the shot clock, then jack up a shot, miss, and expect your bigs to crash the boards and put back a score.

Will they be relevant? Sure. Just like in Pat's years, they have enough talent to be in the top 10. Will they win a NC? Not at all - can't do it against other elite teams with equal talent but better coaching.

Tennessee has great individual talent- emphasis on the word individual. Watching them barely escape Penn State and Syracuse at Thompson-Boling, their offense seems disjointed and inefficient. Way too much consisted of trying to find Russell down low, with generally poor ball movement and few screens set. Part of that may be because they sub in 3 kids at a time, like changing hockey lines, resulting in little offensive flow and continuity. Part of that may also be that Holly Warlick, according to a really large number of disgruntled fans on VolNation, is in over her head, is too chummy with her players, doesn't push them hard enough, and doesn't know how to teach offense.

With 7 high school all-americans on the roster, I expected much more from this team. I think it will take more than Warlick is capable of to bring out the best in this bunch of individuals and turn them into a team, not just an all-star roster. I see them finishing between 10-15, based pretty much solely on their high level of talent.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Tennessee has great individual talent- emphasis on the word individual. Watching them barely escape Penn State and Syracuse at Thompson-Boling, their offense seems disjointed and inefficient. Way too much consisted of trying to find Russell down low, with generally poor ball movement and few screens set. Part of that may be because they sub in 3 kids at a time, like changing hockey lines, resulting in little offensive flow and continuity. Part of that may also be that Holly Warlick, according to a really large number of disgruntled fans on VolNation, is in over her head, is too chummy with her players, doesn't push them hard enough, and doesn't know how to teach offense.

With 7 high school all-americans on the roster, I expected much more from this team. I think it will take more than Warlick is capable of to bring out the best in this bunch of individuals and turn them into a team, not just an all-star roster. I see them finishing between 10-15, based pretty much solely on their high level of talent.

Gotta disagree in part - most of these athletic people are very poor shooters. They are not great individual talents in a basketball talent sense of talent. Just aren't.

Reaction Score
I think that she recognized that - hence the hot tub party with Harry P. I also think that by then it was too late.
Courtesy of Biff...

upload_2015-11-21_19-42-32.png

Reaction Score
I am late to this thread, but I must say that I really enjoy the Lady Vol fans..... for their passion, their fervor, their spirit and their knowledge of the game..... I am especially thankful for our TN friends here on this board, they are so knowledgable, and add depth of knowledge and variety of opinion..... I steer clear of The Summitt, last time I looked it was a bit extreme, but I do participate on Vol Nation, where everyone is a bit more reasonable..... I expect fanbases to be blindly partisan..... the other team and their fans are idiots :) it is all OK..... the only time I have a problem with them or any other site is when accusations are thrown out without any factual backup, and the sexual innuendo that occasionally pops up, particularly in relation to our head coach..... but I find the TN fans by and large to be a good lot of folks.... in my travels around the country (mostly in the west) I have met my fair share of orange clad fans, and it is always accompanied by a healthy spirited discussion about UT, UC, and the overall picture in WCBB...... so as it relates to this thread, i love the UT fans for their love of the game, and participation in knowledgable discussion at the highest rate, probably, in the country.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Nice analysis!! Holly isn't Pat but "learned" from her. How well she learned is probably showing. A mentally well Pat would have evolved (I think) her game style. If you don't evolve, you die Basketball or species.
She was trying but it was against her instincts and it wasn't succeeding.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Personally I hate TN (the "university" - Chris Farley quotes), and everyone from there (i.e. peyton manning) and every one related to anyone from there (i.e. eli manning) and any fans of TN, and anyone who defends TN fans.

But, BUT, I think Warwick is doing a great job down there. I hope she continues as head coach for 30, 40, 50 years.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Personally I hate TN (the "university" - Chris Farley quotes), and everyone from there (i.e. peyton manning) and every one related to anyone from there (i.e. eli manning) and any fans of TN, and anyone who defends TN fans.

But, BUT, I think Warwick is doing a great job down there. I hope she continues as head coach for 30, 40, 50 years.
Or at least until Tyler reaches coaching adulthood and returns to put things right.

Reaction Score
The Summitt has more discussions on other games than Volnation. While there may be a little more dislike for Geno on The Summitt board, overall people are more cordial and tend to have more in depth thoughts about our team without screaming the sky is falling. I have about 7 people on Volnation on ignore, rarely post there and so I don't see most of the nastiness. I'm a liberal so I don't always fit in with some Tennessee fans. There is one UConn fan that frequents the The Summitt and is welcomed by almost all.
Oh I'm a big liberal too so I definitely don't fit in with most TN fans. Right now, you don't have many on VolNation saying anything different than what Eric and many others here are saying tho. A few say we'll get better (and most certainly most teams will) but most are just tired of us playing so sucky.

Hey Vol fan/tennparker3 - good seeing you here on the BY. Y'all seem like nice folk and reasonable too. IMHO I wouldn't use labels too openly cause it starts to slant things a certain way. Seems like you guys (Geno speak) or real Philly (youse guys) know your WBB. It's always nice to hear multiple perspectives. Don't want to drift too far down the political label path, but I was told Liberals celebrated differences, were very accepting of diversity, were really open-minded to new ideas, and were really, really tolerant of cultural behavior that was different (like some of those OTHER Tenn fans you mentioned.) Youse guys sound more like me---an open minded, independent critical thinker who can make decisions based on context, motive, hard evidence, and scientific method.
Just my humble opinion of how I interpret things that I hear and read. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
Hey Vol fan/tennparker3 - good seeing you here on the BY. Y'all seem like nice folk and reasonable too. IMHO I wouldn't use labels too openly cause it starts to slant things a certain way. Seems like you guys (Geno speak) or real Philly (youse guys) know your WBB. It's always nice to hear multiple perspectives. Don't want to drift too far down the political label path, but I was told Liberals celebrated differences, were very accepting of diversity, were really open-minded to new ideas, and were really, really tolerant of cultural behavior that was different (like some of those OTHER Tenn fans you mentioned.) Youse guys sound more like me---an open minded, independent critical thinker who can make decisions based on context, motive, hard evidence, and scientific method.
Just my humble opinion of how I interpret things that I hear and read. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Agreed. Thank you. Hope y'all have a great one as well!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I don't understand the view of several Volnation posters that eventually Tyler Summitt will become Tennessee's head coach and save the program. He was an assistant coach for two years. He has one year of head coaching experience and was a game over .500. I know that record is with a team that he did not recruit and that he has not had time to fully install what will become his system – but that's the point. Who knows if he can recruit as a head coach? Who knows if he can run an effective offense or defense? Nobody. If bloodlines made great coaches, UConn could put Geno out to stud and dominate 'til the end of time.

Reaction Score
Gotta disagree in part - most of these athletic people are very poor shooters. They are not great individual talents in a basketball talent sense of talent. Just aren't.

Suggesting that most of UT's 7 high school All-Americans are "very poor shooters" and "not great individual talents in a basketball talent sense" is decidedly counter-intuitive. If true, how were so many folks fooled? And on what basis were they selected to All-American teams? Cool tattoos? Gotta disagree.

Reaction Score
Thanks for 'splainin' this.
Y'welcome, and I'm gonna 'splain one other thing t'ya and t'all y'all Noo Englanders. Down in that part of our contry y'all like t'look downya nose at, we got another institootion y'all mostly unfamiliar with. That institootion has a name....'scalled Suthern Girls! Giveya 'nexample: We gotta lil town in my neck o the woods called Hattiesburg, MS. In that lil town we gotta colledge campus, called MissippiSuthern. People think it's famous cuz the quarterback, Brett F., wenta school there...no, unh-unh. More turnyakneestajello forms o' female flesh per square inch walkin' 'round that place than any other place on this earth. Just let one of them peachnhoney lovelies flashya a big smile, batter eyes atya, and drawl a few sweetnuthins in y'ear, nthen lemme see how smug y'are 'bout being a Noo Englander!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom