La Tech AD up and blows bowl invite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
From cbssports.com

La Tech AD explains why Bulldogs aren't going bowling
By Bruce Feldman | Senior College Football Columnist

December 2, 2012 7:42 pm ET

Best team staying home for the bowl season? Try 9-3 La. Tech. The Bulldogs have the nation's No. 1 offense, but they will get no postseason bowl game.

The reason why is where things get a bit murky.

It was reported by Yahoo! Sports that Tech turned down a chance to play in a bowl game because it didn't want to face rival Louisiana-Monroe, but La. Tech AD Bruce Van De Velde told CBSSports.com that's not accurate.

"We asked the Independence Bowl to let the games play out because we were told by the Heart of Dallas Bowl and the Liberty Bowls that they were very interested in us," said Van De Velde Sunday night. "They (the Independence Bowl reps) called us on Saturday and put a deadline on us. We thought there would be a spot open for us in one of those other bowls. We asked them to wait so we could vet out these other options, but they wouldn't."

Van De Velde says the Bulldogs got squeezed by a trickle down factor because NIU was going to the Orange Bowl, meaning Oklahoma got knocked out of a BCS Bowl and then the Big 12 was going to be able to fill more bowl slots. And, in the end, the Liberty Bowl selected 6-6 Iowa State over 9-3 La. Tech, he says.

"It wasn't not only a failure of the bowl system but it's also because our league, the WAC, has disintegrated," he says. "It's very much like being an independent. We thought we were in good position but it didn't turn out that way when they took Northern Illinois and it just filtered all the way down."

Asked about the report that Tech didn't want to face ULM being at the root of the Bulldogs ultimately staying home, Van De Velde said, "that was not a factor at all. We would've liked to be in a bowl."

Even if it meant playing ULM?

"Absolutely."

In hindsight, would the AD have told the Independence Bowl to wait had he known this might happen and his team could miss out on a bowl opportunity, he says he still would've done the same thing again. Van De Velde says because the program had played in the Independence Bowl in 2008 and then the Poinsettia Bowl last year, one of those bigger bowls seemed like the progression. "I think we still would've waited because we felt like that's what was best for our university."

Later Sunday night Tech coach Sonny Dykes tweeted: "I'm heartbroken for our 31 seniors that have given so much for Louisiana Tech. They deserve to finish their careers in a bowl game."

Van De Velde says he doesn't expect La. Tech to be in a similar predicament in the future since the school is moving on to Conference-USA, where it has five bowl tie-ins.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Just an amazing screw up by the AD. What I really don't get is that he doesn't think he did anything wrong and would do it all over again? Mind numbing. Feel bad for those seniors. Does the team still get the extra practices?

Reaction Score
I don't get why this is such a screw up, other than in hindsight. Everyone decides daily if one in the hand is worth two in the bush, and sometimes you get it wrong.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I could be wrong here but I don't fully buy his explanation and I think he's trying to sell his constituency (however small La Tech's may be) that the rumors that they are not going bowling to avoid ULM are incorrect (even though they well may be correct).

Reaction Score
It's a screw up b/c he miscalculated and lost out on a bowl game for his players. He screwed up. He never had any other invites, just that other bowls were 'interested'. If you're La Tech, or any school in a conference who only has 1-2 bowl arrangements you don't pass on that one in the hand.

As for the practices, I don't think they get those b/c they're not preparing for a bowl game.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
I don't get why this is such a screw up, other than in hindsight. Everyone decides daily if one in the hand is worth two in the bush, and sometimes you get it wrong.

He gambled and lost and then said he would do the same thing again knowing the results? The arrogance of never admitting that you gambled and lost is what gets me. Plus, he makes no apologies to the team and doesn't acknowledge the negative impact of his decision (losing the practices). I understand the decision process and maybe he thought the odds were in his favor, but he can't acknowledge that he lost.

Reaction Score
Just an amazing screw up by the AD. What I really don't get is that he doesn't think he did anything wrong and would do it all over again? Mind numbing. Feel bad for those seniors. Does the team still get the extra practices?

It's mindbogging how many people think they look smarter if they stick to their guns rather than admitting a mistake. I think it does expose some flaws in the whole bowl selection process but those are so numerous they're not worth getting into.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I remember when UConn was 9-3 and didn't go bowling back in 2003. Stuff happens but their AD is a moron

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is another example of why the bowl system should simply be scrapped. This is a Top 30-35 team that gets boxed out of a bowl because the entire Big 12 played something like 6 major conference opponents.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
At Westconn a number of years ago, the AD failed to file paper work which would have cost the football team a home game in the next round of NCAA playoffs. Fortunately for him, Western lost a close game so it didn't matter. Imagine having to tell the team; "Great game guys. Good luck next week.....at Rowan...". "Huh??". The same AD also failed to submit paperwork that cost players spots on All-Star teams. It's amazing how some of these people keep their jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tmirm0279

Top Bottom