Kudos to USA Women's Soccer Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
The first 20 (15?) minutes were

I N S A N E ! ! ! !

Like an out of body experience for the fans!! I was pinching myself :)

Great win !! USA! USA! USA!

As Geno would say, they were really, really, really, REALLY good !!

Eskapeesto

The specter of ExtraPesto is haunting the Cesspool
Reaction Score
All the goals:
https://video-lga1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/h...=4090b3e6c6893001bfa7210f82c3774c&oe=559A112F

11709488_890440687688655_6802370630538008590_n.jpg

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Very unusual final. Really don't see stuff like this at this level very often. (Men's Germany/Brazil game comes to mind.) After watching the group stages, didn't think USA would get very far. But they really put it together in the knock out rounds. (reminded a bit of the Italians).

Congrats to them. Great game, lots of fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Great show at 1 pm as they returned. I need one of those t shirts.

Reaction Score
After watching the group stages, didn't think USA would get very far. But they really put it together in the knock out rounds. (reminded a bit of the Italians).

I don't know much about soccer or this particular WNT, but some people say that the turning point was when yellow card suspensions forced the team to play Morgan Brian starting in the China game. She's just 22 years old, but is thought to be the best of a new breed of...I don't know. "Cerebral" midfielders?

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/07/06/usa-japan-world-cup-final-morgan-brian-carli-lloyd

Sounds like the US is in good hands in the future. ;)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't know much about soccer or this particular WNT, but some people say that the turning point was when yellow card suspensions forced the team to play Morgan Brian starting in the China game. She's just 22 years old, but is thought to be the best of a new breed of...I don't know. "Cerebral" midfielders?

http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2015/07/06/usa-japan-world-cup-final-morgan-brian-carli-lloyd

Sounds like the US is in good hands in the future. ;)
Yea, Ellis had Lloyd playing out of position in a 4-4-2. When she was forced to make adjustments and bring in Brian, they changed formations to a 4-2-3-1 (although some called it a 4-3-3 which it wasn't) and moved Lloyd up further into an attacking position. Things really started clicking then. Also sat Wambach, that helped too, along with Alex Morgan getting better after coming back from injury. All those things really at once.

They are going to need another midfielder though. Cheney (Holiday) is retiring from international duty and I assume Boxx is too. Which leaves us back with basically Brian and Lloyd in the middle.

Reaction Score
They are going to need another midfielder though. Cheney (Holiday) is retiring from international duty and I assume Boxx is too. Which leaves us back with basically Brian and Lloyd in the middle.

I was surprised to see Holiday make that announcement, given that she is playing well and is only 27 years old. It wouldn't surprise me to see her reconsider in a year or two.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I was surprised to see Holiday make that announcement, given that she is playing well and is only 27 years old. It wouldn't surprise me to see her reconsider in a year or two.
She just got married a year or two ago (hence some call her Cheney, some Holiday). She wants to start her family. Maybe after a kid or two she'll reconsider??? She's married to Jrue Holiday a PG for the Pelicans, so I imagine they are pretty well set financially. He's been in the NBA for awhile.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
She just got married a year or two ago (hence some call her Cheney, some Holiday). She wants to start her family. Maybe after a kid or two she'll reconsider??? She's married to Jrue Holiday a PG for the Pelicans, so I imagine they are pretty well set financially. He's been in the NBA for awhile.

I had the same thought. She could easily have 1 or 2 kids and make the next world cup cycle.

And (because I was curious myself) Mr. Holiday is set to make $10.6 million this year.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I had the same thought. She could easily have 1 or 2 kids and make the next world cup cycle.

And (because I was curious myself) Mr. Holiday is set to make $10.6 million this year.
On the other hand if he's playing basketball and traveling and she is playing soccer and traveling, they'd have to farm the kids out. I can understand not wanting to do that.

Reaction Score
On the other hand if he's playing basketball and traveling and she is playing soccer and traveling, they'd have to farm the kids out. I can understand not wanting to do that.

Yes and no. Some of the USNT women with kids have had nannies and routinely had the kids accompany them to team camps and many of the games. The kids become team mascots - which was true of this year's team (with three players having kids in attendance) and also of the 1999 team with the Fawcett and Overbeck children. The Holiday's can afford a boatload of nannies if she decides she want to play for the national team again.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They met while at UCLA. I think Geno or his successor should follow follow any female offspring they have, as the parents are uber-athletic.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes and no. Some of the USNT women with kids have had nannies and routinely had the kids accompany them to team camps and many of the games. The kids become team mascots - which was true of this year's team (with three players having kids in attendance) and also of the 1999 team with the Fawcett and Overbeck children. The Holiday's can afford a boatload of nannies if she decides she want to play for the national team again.
I agree, but I can understand if she doesn't want to go the nanny route.

Reaction Score
I agree, but I can understand if she doesn't want to go the nanny route.

Yes, clearly her choice - but I wouldn't be shocked if she discovers she misses being a part of this team after she has been gone for awhile. It's tough to retire at such a young age - and a number of the people who have tried it have later decided to come back. Many of the players have proven that having a child does not preclude one from playing on the national team - and playing well. If nothing else, she has that to think about if she misses it more than she thought she would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom