Kromah is good. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Kromah is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think for now, is fair. But in the long run I'm betting Brimah. He's still going to have a learning curve and I don't want to say he's fully formed. But each guy had an instance where a short shot took one of those bounces where the ball caroms hard and low right at the rebounder's chest. Brimah caught it cleanly, while Nolan boxed it out-of-bounds. Not a big deal I know, but I see that as a sign of one having the better hands.

Nolan's got twice as many rebounds in about as many minutes so far. And he just looks a lot more polished with the ball. Brimah looks like Thabeet did, all length and energy. And that's great, and he should definitely be in the mix, but I'd like to see him play against a team I couldn't come off the bench for before he gets penciled into the starting lineup.

Dmike

Waiting for the Snow and 3 pointers to fly
Reaction Score
A lot of newcomers are knocking on the playing time door. Samuel, Aminda, Facey, Kromah. Not sure if we ever had this problem.

We had this problem from the '03-'04 season through the '09-'10 seasons (excluding '06-'07), as well as in '11-'12 worse than what we're presently looking at. I always felt bad for Ed Nelson, Marcus White and Dougie Wiggins. Hilton Armstrong and Gavin Edwards couldn't get minutes until their senior year. We had tons of transfers during this time period from guys who just couldn't get on the floor even though they proved themselves when they did. Cream rises to the top and some of the present team won't get their minutes. The hard thing is always making sure that everyone's psyche's remain intact regardless of the minutes. If they do, we'll have a special season.

Dmike

Reaction Score
no offense but rj sucked. it won't be hard for LK to be better then him

Why would anyone take offense at that?

I'll tell you why I take offense to it. RJ came to a team that had no postseason opportunity and major defections. Without him, we would have had a very difficult time beating MSU in the opening game last year or Quinnipiac in that 2OT fiasco. His production definitely trailed off over the course of the year, but he managed to get key steals, rebounds and baskets with his minutes and played respectable defense for the better part of the season. Based on how he started and finished the season, I often wondered whether he was fighting through some sort of nagging injury. Plus, he often played the 3, which I think was a challenge for him.

Anyhow, to say he "sucks" is disrespectful to a guy who gave us a good year of his life and definitely helped that team get 20 wins. Without his locker room presence and poise, I think last season could have gone in a very different direction. He came from Holy Cross and contributed at UConn. Don't forget that when we blew out Holy Cross a few years back, he was the only player on that team that was consistently getting baskets against us.

All that said, I think Kromah will be a huge upgrade. He'll earn his minutes on a stronger team and hopefully help us to postseason success rather than fill holes for a year like RJ.

So, in conclusion its unnecessary to say he "sucked" it lacks reverence for how hard it is to come out and compete the way these players do. They don't get paid for the enjoyment they bring us each season. Show a little reverence for someone who dawned the blue and white and helped this team during one of the most challenging seasons our program has ever faced.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'll tell you why I take offense to it. RJ came to a team that had no postseason opportunity and major defections. Without him, we would have had a very difficult time beating MSU in the opening game last year or Quinnipiac in that 2OT fiasco. His production definitely trailed off over the course of the year, but he managed to get key steals, rebounds and baskets with his minutes and played respectable defense for the better part of the season. Based on how he started and finished the season, I often wondered whether he was fighting through some sort of nagging injury. Plus, he often played the 3, which I think was a challenge for him.

Anyhow, to say he "sucks" is disrespectful to a guy who gave us a good year of his life and definitely helped that team get 20 wins. Without his locker room presence and poise, I think last season could have gone in a very different direction. He came from Holy Cross and contributed at UConn. Don't forget that when we blew out Holy Cross a few years back, he was the only player on that team that was consistently getting baskets against us.

All that said, I think Kromah will be a huge upgrade. He'll earn his minutes on a stronger team and hopefully help us to postseason success rather than fill holes for a year like RJ.

So, in conclusion its unnecessary to say he "sucked" it lacks reverence for how hard it is to come out and compete the way these players do. They don't get paid for the enjoyment they bring us each season. Show a little reverence for someone who dawned the blue and white and helped this team during one of the most challenging seasons our program has ever faced.
In the few minutes he played in the Cuse game RJ was very productive! The nagging injury was the shoulder separation. He missed some games because of it and wasn't the same afterwards in a number of games. He was a great D-Bev type player who cheered for the team instead of moping and allowed the starters to catch their breath! People wanted Allen instead of RJ and found out that RJ was the better player.

With that said I'm hoping Samuel and Kromah are each, or combined, better than RJ. It makes sense to want to see improvement with the team. I agree with you that there is no need to rag on a player who cared about his team and gave it his all.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

ok sucks was harsh, but he was not very good

Dmike

Reaction Score
ok sucks was harsh, but he was not very good

Let me ask you this question - Do you think we got everything he could give us last year or do you think he failed to live up to his potential taking into account injuries?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Let me ask you this question - Do you think we got everything he could give us last year or do you think he failed to live up to his potential taking into account injuries?

i don't think he was good enough to play at this level. i don't think he gave us everything he had, he took some awful unneeded shots. but i respect/value the leadership and experience he brought us last year. he just wasn't fit for this level

Dmike

Reaction Score
i don't think he was good enough to play at this level. i don't think he gave us everything he had, he took some awful unneeded shots. but i respect/value the leadership and experience he brought us last year. he just wasn't fit for this level

I don't agree with you. KO wouldn't have put him in the game if he didn't feel that he could handle his minutes. He played over 20 minutes on a number of occasions. That being said, I can respect a difference of opinions and he certainly wasn't going to be a star on last years team by any stretch. That being said, if he hadn't gotten hurt, I think he would have given us a little bit more. I still remember being impressed with him in the MSU game and a few other games at the start of the season, Vermont comes to mind, but his production and quality minutes definitely trailed off during the course of the season. He played big in the loss to South Florida when Bazz was hurt. If he wasn't hurt, I think he could have done more.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't agree with you. KO wouldn't have put him in the game if he didn't feel that he could handle his minutes. He played over 20 minutes on a number of occasions. That being said, I can respect a difference of opinions and he certainly wasn't going to be a star on last years team by any stretch. That being said, if he hadn't gotten hurt, I think he would have given us a little bit more. I still remember being impressed with him in the MSU game and a few other games at the start of the season, Vermont comes to mind, but his production and quality minutes definitely trailed off during the course of the season. He played big in the loss to South Florida when Bazz was hurt. If he wasn't hurt, I think he could have done more.

i'll always remember his games vs msu and syracuse

Reaction Score

Giving us "everything he had" and "taking awful shots" don't need to be in the same sentence. There's no doubt RJ gave us everything he had, both on the court and as the leading "cheerleader" off. He may have taken some whacky shots I agree but he was 110% when around his team and there really is no denying that - for that alone and his love for being a Husky for 1 year makes me truly respect RJ much more than players like.......hmmmm.......Alex Oriahki!;)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Giving us "everything he had" and "taking awful shots" don't need to be in the same sentence. There's no doubt RJ gave us everything he had, both on the court and as the leading "cheerleader" off. He may have taken some whacky shots I agree but he was 110% when around his team and there really is no denying that - for that alone and his love for being a Husky for 1 year makes me truly respect RJ much more than players like.......hmmmm.......Alex Oriahki!;)

i respect everyone more than AO

Reaction Score
how can you say he didn't give the team everything he had? RJ might not have been a high level talent but you certainly can't question his effort, that's just an ignorant comment.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
how can you say he didn't give the team everything he had? RJ might not have been a high level talent but you certainly can't question his effort, that's just an ignorant comment.

of course he gave great great effort. taking bad shots hurts the team, taking bad shots does not give 100% effort

Reaction Score
RJ was a competent ball handler on a team very shallow at that position. Frequently the only rest are point got was playing two when RJ was in. IF he could make FT he would have been an incredible get.
As is he was very valuable.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
RJ was a competent ball handler on a team very shallow at that position. Frequently the only rest are point got was playing two when RJ was in. IF he could make FT he would have been an incredible get.

i agree, just a little in over his head at this level.

this ot but i always wondered why you write why you like that? just curious

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Exactly, the team was better with him then they would have been if he never signed on.

Reaction Score
He might be better then OC at this point. Don't get me wrong love OC-and think he will be a star- but Kromah is a 5th year senior and plays like it. Feels good to have guard depth for a change.

Love our options.
I've been saying this since june and people thought i was crazy

Reaction Score
I posted a stat a few days ago saying that kromah hits 55% from 2pt fg last year... i didnt mention he was also like 23% from 3 so this shocked me
Had a bad three point season last year.... Never really fit in in lonergans offense at gw. Was about36% as a freshman under hobbs.

Reaction Score
He might be better then OC at this point. Don't get me wrong love OC-and think he will be a star- but Kromah is a 5th year senior and plays like it. Feels good to have guard depth for a change.

Love our options.
I've been saying this since july and people thought i was crazy

C

Chief00

I think Omar is a better shooter and we will need that against the big boys. Griffey is looking good. Kromah his more of a strong body guy going to the basket. Against teams with good big men you need guys who can shoot the jumper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom