Kobe is a fan - and he's coming to Gampel | The Boneyard

Kobe is a fan - and he's coming to Gampel

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Kobe Bryant on the Huskies: "The fluidity with which they play, because they all play for each other," Bryant said Wednesday by phone. "There's not a lot of dribbling. It's 'we know how to play with each other.' And, continuously. You don't see them having to stop the game and put people in the right places. That ball moves, and they go. They know how to recognize and read a defense and I think that's attributed to Geno understanding that it's way more important to teach players how to fish instead of telling them where the fish are."

The man knows his basketball.

The Gampel Pavilion game that Bryant plans to attend next season will be his first, but he has visited UConn's road locker room several times and has addressed the Huskies via Skype.

For Kobe Bryant, UConn Basketball A Family Experience

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Wow, Kobe checking all the boxes re: the game of bball and UCONN’s relation to it! Color me more than a little impressed with his comments !

Heads will turn when he makes it to Gampel. Gabby (especially), Kia and Z might just try to make sure they make it back for that game if at all possible to be in the stands near Mr. Bryant & fam!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Don't miss the last paragraphs which so clearly express the joy UConn gives to a certain discriminating population and the positive effect sustained excellence provides. And the last paragraph sums it up as well as any I have ever seen. :D

Bryant’s thoughts, summarized: UConn is overwhelmingly good for the game, and a joyous reaction (in some circles) to the Huskies’ loss supports that.

“This weekend was made spectacular because of the shot Arike hit but also because of who they beat,” he said. “So if UConn wasn't on this run, people wouldn't be paying attention as much. Everyone's mission is to beat UConn now, to raise or meet that bar. The state of where women's basketball is now is largely because of what UConn has done.”

Bryant entered and exited Nationwide Arena as quietly as possible. But during and after what was a winning weekend for the sport — Ogunbowale hit another buzzer-beater for the championship Sunday against Mississippi State — he was active on Twitter, congratulating Ogunbowale for having a #Mambamentality.

“It's just a beautiful game,” Bryant said. “For people that call themselves basketball fans and say, ‘Well, I don't watch women's basketball,’ you don't like the basketball game, you like the entertainment. You like high-flying dunks. So don't call yourself a basketball fan. Call yourself an entertainment fan. Because real basketball fans find the beauty in the game, and there's beauty there.”

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
After friday night... I'm surprised they would even let him inside the state borders :oops:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
After friday night... I'm surprised they would even let him inside the state borders :oops:

Exactly. I want him nowhere near the building.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Doesn't he know he should be dissing Notre Dame, the refs, Geno's timeout patterns, not playing the frosh, etc. Scheesh! Nothing but good things to say. :confused:;)

Kobe Bryant on the Huskies: "The fluidity with which they play, because they all play for each other," Bryant said Wednesday by phone. "There's not a lot of dribbling. It's 'we know how to play with each other.' And, continuously. You don't see them having to stop the game and put people in the right places. That ball moves, and they go. They know how to recognize and read a defense and I think that's attributed to Geno understanding that it's way more important to teach players how to fish instead of telling them where the fish are."

The man knows his basketball.

The Gampel Pavilion game that Bryant plans to attend next season will be his first, but he has visited UConn's road locker room several times and has addressed the Huskies via Skype.

For Kobe Bryant, UConn Basketball A Family Experience

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“It's just a beautiful game,” Bryant said. “For people that call themselves basketball fans and say, ‘Well, I don't watch women's basketball,’ you don't like the basketball game, you like the entertainment. You like high-flying dunks. So don't call yourself a basketball fan. Call yourself an entertainment fan. Because real basketball fans find the beauty in the game, and there's beauty there.”

Wow.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I love what Kobe is saying but am I alone in seeing the irony that the King of one on one ball espouses the beauty of our pass oriented team. Having daughters can definitely help expand horizons. :D

Reaction Score
I love what Kobe is saying but am I alone in seeing the irony that the King of one on one ball espouses the beauty of our pass oriented team. Having daughters can definitely help expand horizons. :D

Kobe spent a lot of time in Italy, watching euro ball. He's talked before about how he actually believes that this is the best way to play basketball.

But he played in Phil Jackson's system and his skillset was really..the best ever one on one ball.

This is great for women's basketball. Having advocates like Kobe and Pop helps the women's game. I'm sure it's somewhat daughter driven for Kobe, but he's always been outspoken about his love for Diana (and now Lloyd).

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Kobe is a wbb fan. That is a good thing. The fact that he responded so positively to Arike O - someone who idolizes him is a positive, not a negative. His daughter might just follow in his footsteps and be a terrific player. The fact that she loves UConn should be something you celebrate! I imagine Geno will be retired by the time she is eligible, but your next coach might love to have her on her/his team.

Reaction Score
UConn is the reason Kobe is actively watching...I would UConn is pretty good for WBB

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom