KO Loses Some of His Luster | The Boneyard

KO Loses Some of His Luster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We've all been in love with KO, and rightfully so. The energy and passion he brings to this team is infectious, and he's a worthy heir to JC's legacy.

But we're naive to assume that those "intangible" qualities as a coach necessarily go hand-in-hand with in-game, X's and O's acumen. Today was the first jarring example of his inexperience or weakness in this area. We spent 15 minutes doing absolutely nothing against the zone, with no adjustment whatsoever. It was as if we didn't have a coach at all.

Now I think this is something that he will get better at in time, but it's hard not to view tonight's loss as taking away some of the shine and maybe signaling the beginning of the end of the "honeymoon" period.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If a top 25 team runs a zone like that against us and we shoot that bad again, we won't score 40 points.

Reaction Score
we've been zoned plenty of times this season without those disastrous results, Stanford zoned us in the first half and UConn picked them apart. not sure what the hell happened in the 2nd half.

Reaction Score
Bad 2nd half across the board for this team and im sure Ollie would take his share of responsibility.

This will just make this team work harder and make sure it doesn't happen again.

We will be okay.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
metsfan2323 said:
We have had many of these types of games with Calhoun too. It happens.

REALLY?

zls44

Reaction Score
aceboon said:
we've been zoned plenty of times this season without those disastrous results, Stanford zoned us in the first half and UConn picked them apart. not sure what the hell happened in the 2nd half.

They didn't make shots. You can't expect that kind of shooting to hold up long term.

Reaction Score
yeah, I'd relax a little bit. We must have missed 6 or 7 three-pointers in a row to end the game - most of the clean shots that just didn't go in.

I'm more concerned with Omar Calhoun. Last year his 3's chewed up Syracuse on ESPN, a year later following hip surgery he looks like he can barely get the strength to even reach the rim. When he does it's like an automatic clank.

And we need to get Giffey more involved.

Reaction Score
I think Nolan, Brimah and Olander scored 2 points tonight. This is not that unusual for them. Top ten teams usually have a touch more of an inside game?

Reaction Score
We stopped trying to penetrate and fell in love with the 3. How many time do I have to see Boat or Bazz cross over dribble to nowhere, only to look up and find that there are 4 seconds on the shot clock and a prayer of a shot is thrown off.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Wasn't all on KO strategy-wise. Guys were just jacking up stupid shots left and right.

zls44

Reaction Score
intlzncster said:
Wasn't all on KO strategy-wise. Guys were just jacking up stupid shots left and right.

That happens when you call ineffective plays and don't make adjustments.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
We've all been in love with KO, and rightfully so. The energy and passion he brings to this team is infectious, and he's a worthy heir to JC's legacy.

But we're naive to assume that those "intangible" qualities as a coach necessarily go hand-in-hand with in-game, X's and O's acumen. Today was the first jarring example of his inexperience or weakness in this area. We spent 15 minutes doing absolutely nothing against the zone, with no adjustment whatsoever. It was as if we didn't have a coach at all.

Now I think this is something that he will get better at in time, but it's hard not to view tonight's loss as taking away some of the shine and maybe signaling the beginning of the end of the "honeymoon" period.

What? Plenty of JC teams came out lackadasical and/or flustered by zone defenses. It is no indicator of KOs coaching acumen. What this terrible loss showed me is that we have NO offense inside game.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
That happens when you call ineffective plays and don't make adjustments.

Guys were coming down and jacking up threes without even setting up. They played dumb too much.

Reaction Score
What? Plenty of JC teams came out lackadasical and/or flustered by zone defenses. It is no indicator of KOs coaching acumen. What this terrible loss showed me is that we have NO offense inside game.

You don't need a post presence to crack the zone. You need play-design creativity, passes to spots in the creases of the zone which create further openings.

I never claimed JC was an X's and O's wizard either. I'm hoping KO, with his NBA PG pedigree, will turn out to be better. Despite today's alarming performance, he's just getting started and learning the nuances of in-game coaching.

Reaction Score
I think Nolan, Brimah and Olander scored 2 points tonight. This is not that unusual for them. Top ten teams usually have a touch more of an inside game?
if its not unusual then you should expect it by now. Good Lord man, the team lost by 1 because the perimeter players who are supposed to score on this team are struggling to score against anyone with a name on their jersey. Daniels is gonna be our only reliable scorer from 15" in this season, get used to it.

Reaction Score
Yes really. Lots of them. S hit happens. Funny that people forget some of the clunkers we saw during the JC era. Let's hope they learn from this and succeed like most of Calhouns teams did

exactly, and JC is around if KO needs some pointers

Reaction Score
Are you serious? I've sat through plenty of Calhoun-coached games where we looked just as awful against the zone.
Absolutely. There were many games with JC at the helm where we bitched about our inability to adjust against a 2-3 zone. What tonight showed was that we can't just rely on Shabazz to do his Kemba impersonation at the end of every game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom