OT: - Knee Replacement, Post-surgery | The Boneyard

OT: Knee Replacement, Post-surgery

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Lady H is two weeks out of successful total knee replacement surgery. No blood clots, no infections, wound looks good, physical therapy proceeding.

On the downside, three extra nights in the hospital for low blood pressure, a recommended trip to the ER 5 days later to address blood pressure & heartbeat concerns, a first visit to the cardiologist with a trip to OrthoFast directly afterward where crippling muscle spasms added to the pain mix.

I'm off to return the Holter monitor to the cardiology office now, and figured it's time, as lead care giver, to reach out to the crack Boneyard medical team for anecdotes, perspective, tips, hacks, and the usual mayhem.

Who's been there, receiving & recuperating, or holding down the fort and multitasking for two?

Good network of friends & family nearby, and otherwise healthily functioning patient going in, someone who likes to stay busy and feels it's just wrong to lie around, even when she's on muscle relaxant & pain medication and can't keep her eyes open.

Reaction Score
My mother (71 yrs. old) just had it done around 5 weeks ago. She is walking around normal, without pain, without a cane. She does her exercises daily and at first had PT come to her house for the first three weeks. Eventually, she should be coming off the pain and muscle relaxants, then moving to over the counter (Advil, etc.). This should help her stay awake. The sooner she is safely able to transition off of the Perks, etc. the better.

Reaction Score
Don't do any BY-offered "hacks". That's all that's here anyway ;)

Don't listen to anyone here. Listen to her PTs and orthos. They work with more knee surgeries in a day than any of us have in our lifetimes. They're the experts.

Reaction Score
Hi Hans, I want to wish Lady H a full and speedy recovery. I had bilateral (both) knee replacement two summers ago and it was the best medical decision I've ever made. Not sure if the other issues are directly related to the knees, but I personally had no such problems.

What I always tell people facing knee replacement is to take your pain meds by the clock -- don't let pain control get away from you. And, make rehabbing your knees Job #1. In all likelihood you'll wish you had the surgery sooner. Good luck.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hey there HS - my best to the Mrs in the recovery
I had a total knee replacement as well as the major leg bone straightening last March.
I was at St Francis and done by Dr Terry Reardon of Middletown Ortho.
I was walking up 4 stairs that night, out of the hospital the next day, took pain killers for 3 days until I developed a rash and just took Advil. In home PT for 2 weeks, then PT daily for 6 weeks
Sports (soccer and baseball) killed my knees and I had a compound fracture in same leg in 1991. I am 85% pain free - there will be residual pain but I no longer walk crooked and my leg is straight and true
It's amazing what these replacements can do - while I don't run anymore, I do peddle a stationary bike 9 miles a day 5 days a week and walk the highest incline at 3.9 speed on a treadmill for 20 minutes a day.
The only thing I suffer from is leg cramps at night after a day in the garden and a session at the gym

All in all - the best decision Dr Reardon ever made for me!!!!!!!!
Wish I could do the other but he doesn't feel it needs it (now)

Again, best of luck to your wife - the best recovery is an active one - she has to do the PT exercises on her own - I doubled them up and glad I did

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'm way too young to even think of replacing anything but wanted to write that I am happy for Ms. Sprungfeld.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
It's straight wizardry that a doctor can replace a knee and have someone walking and out of the hospital a day later.
I'll take the bow. Thanks!!
Just kidding - tip your waitress, I'll be here all night. :cool:

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Don't do any BY-offered "hacks". That's all that's here anyway ;)

Don't listen to anyone here. Listen to her PTs and orthos. They work with more knee surgeries in a day than any of us have in our lifetimes. They're the experts.
This is great advice. And as much as you can find great information on the 'net, you can also find nonsense. And you don't have the expertise to know what to believe and what not to believe. Your doctor doesn't have the time to review each one either. But they know what works.

It sounds like the medical issues - co-morbidities we call them - have been the bigger peri-operative problem. My piece of advice is, while the BP and cardiac issues are being sorted out don't forget to do the daily rehab. A stiff knee is hard to rehab later, easy earlier.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It sounds like the medical issues - co-morbidities we call them - have been the bigger peri-operative problem. My piece of advice is, while the BP and cardiac issues are being sorted out don't forget to do the daily rehab. A stiff knee is hard to rehab later, easy earlier.
This has been my take and my counsel in the face of her frustration. The muscle spasm pain has been the true wild card. And my greatest concern has been interference with the rehab regimen.

All told, she's doing well and receiving attentive, compassionate & skilled medical care. I'd rate myself well as her advocate and aid. I correctly anticipated that it might take more than I expected and prepared pretty well and have systems in place where needed and so far the ability to make good adjustments.

Vert appreciative of her full disability insurance through her employer, and that work really has left her alone.

All of comments here have been affirming and appreciated. Thank you.

Reaction Score
Best of luck Hans and Mrs. Hans

To echo DoctorHoops point, really make sure she is focusing on getting full extension. Everyone worries about bending their knee during the post operative period (which is also important) but more important is making sure that leg gets out nice and straight. You'll notice that she probably wants to put a pillow or bump under her knee because its less painful/more comfortable. I know its hard, but try to encourage her to work on that extension.

PM me with any questions or concerns that may come up.

Reaction Score
This has been my take and my counsel in the face of her frustration. The muscle spasm pain has been the true wild card. And my greatest concern has been interference with the rehab regimen.

All told, she's doing well and receiving attentive, compassionate & skilled medical care. I'd rate myself well as her advocate and aid. I correctly anticipated that it might take more than I expected and prepared pretty well and have systems in place where needed and so far the ability to make good adjustments.

Vert appreciative of her full disability insurance through her employer, and that work really has left her alone.

All of comments here have been affirming and appreciated. Thank you.

Living in Florida the body-part replacement capital of the World those who really stick with the PT beyond religiously and remain otherwise as active as possible have the best results by far. The unique sensations of having a piece of hardware do take some time to adjust to but 5-6 months later being better than new is majority of results.

Best of luck to Mrs. H! And being a great advocate/cheerleader/encourager is very important, keep it up.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It's straight wizardry that a doctor can replace a knee and have someone walking and out of the hospital a day later.
Fishy = can't tell if your being a smart arse or not -but it happened
I walked up the stairs that 1st night with a cane, with crutches and holding on to a PTs arm (balance was a little off unaided) but still on my two feet - of course I had to use crutches at times for a few weeks because I would tire but I could walk/hobble without the crutches - the PT people were amazed but not the first they have seen - doesn't mean I was walking unaided right away - that would be crazy. The knee was sturdy from the start - it's amazing. There was pain, but weird how it didn't really hurt until day 4 or 5 and then it was most likely due to the fact that I overdid it. My PT was always telling me that I was crazy for working so hard but he couldn't argue with the results.
I'm not the first that it has happened to - it depends on how much you want to push yourself, what your pain threshold is, your overall physical condition going in and how your body accepts the surgery etc. I think that perhaps I was lucky in some aspects. All I did was walk/hobble around the house for hours every day and grew stronger every day. My goal was to work in my garden by April 15 and I did
Oh yeah - my ortho - Dr Reardon - had me drinking protein drinks twice daily for 4 weeks before surgery and three weeks following - I can't help but think this helped

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I absolutely believe you.

That they can replace a body part is science. That they can replace it and that it works the way it does almost immediately...is artistry.

Reaction Score
Best to Ms. H.

Friends have turned their clocks backward with replacements. I hope she recovers quickly and takes advantage of a stronger knee by increasing activity. That will help the cardio long term.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Best of luck Hans and Mrs. Hans

To echo DoctorHoops point, really make sure she is focusing on getting full extension. Everyone worries about bending their knee during the post operative period (which is also important) but more important is making sure that leg gets out nice and straight. You'll notice that she probably wants to put a pillow or bump under her knee because its less painful/more comfortable. I know its hard, but try to encourage her to work on that extension.

PM me with any questions or concerns that may come up.
Thanks.

Full extension was one of the 3 non-negotiables from session 1 with the physical therapist, with the pillow going beneath the heel if anywhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom